Added music to SkyDrive....does playing it on my phone without WiFi use up my data?

RuleOfSines

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Would uploading my music with Zune or whatever eat up my data usage as well?
Sorry to sound like an idiot, but this is all new to me.

Think of the phone this way, if you're not on wifi, it is using up your data plan. Doing various things. Just your live tiles may be using up your data plan, if you have anything that "syncs" with any sort of online service.

fieldsy1024

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Think of the phone this way, if you're not on wifi, it is using up your data plan. Doing various things. Just your live tiles may be using up your data plan, if you have anything that "syncs" with any sort of online service.

Thats what has me confused. I thought transferring songs over and using them wouldn't be 'syncing' with anything anytime I used it......

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
If you transfer them from SkyDrive to your phone, then you wouldn't be using data, but if they're stored in the cloud and you're playing them from SkyDrive, then yes, data is used.

RuleOfSines

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Thats what has me confused. I thought transferring songs over and using them wouldn't be 'syncing' with anything anytime I used it......

If you don't want to use up data, you need to make sure and download the files to your local storage, while connected to wifi, then access the from your local storage.

As an example, you can view a photo in sky drive, then Download it. Once you've downloaded it you can then view it in your local album without data usage.

fieldsy1024

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
If you don't want to use up data, you need to make sure and download the files to your local storage, while connected to wifi, then access the from your local storage.

As an example, you can view a photo in sky drive, then Download it. Once you've downloaded it you can then view it in your local album without data usage.

How do I download stuff like audio and photos from skydrive to my phone?

RuleOfSines

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
How do I download stuff like audio and photos from skydrive to my phone?

Using the SkyDrive app, view the file you want and expand the menu, one of the options will be Download. I don't remember if the App itself came installed on the phone, you may have to download it from the market.

fieldsy1024

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Just read an article that you cannot download music to your 920.

Man....any music you play uses up your usage. For a lot of reasons this phone is great, but this option really blows...

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I have my music directly on my phone. Where did you read that says you can't have it on your phone? There's a software you need, but should install when you hook it up to your computer. With it, you can sync your music to the phone when you have the phone connected to the computer. You can also purchase music in XBox Music and download it.

Edit: I'm sorry, now that I think of it, I think you meant download from the SkyDrive app. No, but if you're downloading from there, you should be able to download to your computer and then put the music onto the phone (downloading from the phone would eat up data, anyways, and we're trying to avoid that). So, I'd say, download to your computer, then copy over. ;)

fieldsy1024

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I have my music directly on my phone. Where did you read that says you can't have it on your phone? There's a software you need, but should install when you hook it up to your computer. With it, you can sync your music to the phone when you have the phone connected to the computer. You can also purchase music in XBox Music and download it.

Edit: I'm sorry, now that I think of it, I think you meant download from the SkyDrive app. No, but if you're downloading from there, you should be able to download to your computer and then put the music onto the phone (downloading from the phone would eat up data, anyways, and we're trying to avoid that). So, I'd say, download to your computer, then copy over. ;)

I was talking about dragging music to skydrive in my PC...which will show up on my phone. If I play that music on my phone it uses data?

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I was talking about dragging music to skydrive in my PC...which will show up on my phone. If I play that music on my phone it uses data?

Yes, playing it from skydrive will most likely use data. I've personally put my music on my phone, but I understand the needs of one don't necessarily meet the needs of another. In this case, though, I don't think there's a way to get around putting your music on your phone if you want to play it without using data. It was the same way on my previous phones (I used Google Music until recently).

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Would uploading my music with Zune or whatever eat up my data usage as well?
Sorry to sound like an idiot, but this is all new to me.

No. if you have your phone connected to your pc via usb cable and using zune or the windows phone 8 transfer app, yourcellualar data is not used.

if you using the skydrive app, or the integrated skydrive feature (throughnthe office hub) you are using your data, unless you are on wifi.

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Just read an article that you cannot download music to your 920.

Man....any music you play uses up your usage. For a lot of reasons this phone is great, but this option really blows...

Not even remotely true. Post a link to this mystery article so we can all point at it and laugh.

rpm1984

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
He is saying that he read in an article that you cant download music from skydrive to your windows phone which is true with the Skydrive app and that any music you play from skydrive uses data. I am trying to find a way around this as well. Stupid that you cant download it to your phone it is just so that you have to use xbox music pass.

This is a request to add skydrive integration into xbox music. To me this should be top priority. Even is they charged a little bit for the option.
http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/forums/101801-feature-suggestions/suggestions

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb