After all the experiences...would you stay or say goodbye?

infiniti_12

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
After all the experiences that you had on your current Windows Phone, are you still willing to stay in the platform for years (or even forever :D) and even buy a new Windows Phone? OR you'll say goodbye to WP and buy/upgrade to an Android flagship or an Apple iPhone or even Blackberry (like Passport)?

Why? I need your ideas guys! It can help me and others too! :)

badshar

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Although I only use a Lumia 521 for development purposes, I think the platform really needs to mature a little bit. It still feels like version 1.0. There's no excuse as it's already been 4 years since the release of WP. In their first 4 years, iOS and Android had already matured. Meanwhile, WP continues to look like a fun experiment by a company who itself doesn't look too serious about the platform.

J Frost

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I have been on WP for a few years now and will be here for the long haul. I have an Android phone for work and have the ability to use both daily, to conduct personal and professional business. In my opinion WP is a far better platform for productivity and power users. I can draft and edit documents, manage all my email accounts, VPN, and use the unlimited storage in one drive. The Android is slower and the lack of a productivity suite is felt.
Just my two cents.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm still liking WP and am looking forward to see what Windows 10 has in store for WP. To some extent, I have to agree with badshar, regarding WP needing to mature a bit.

What keeps me with WP is the Xbox live gaming integration, 20+ MP cameras (certain phones), and fluidness of the OS... it's not as dumbed down as iOS and not as complex/inconsistent as Android can be.

But, if your unhappy with WP, go with Android... iOS will leave you bored after a month or 2.

Anglerdk

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I have used WP for some years and as a low to mid end phone os it's perhaps the best (haven't used new android phones in this segment though).

As a non English user I must admit the app gap is HUGE. Perhaps one out ten advertised apps is also for WP ASP also. Streaming on demand (in Denmark) is almost non existent (on video: Netflix works, but lack cromecast, one have an app, but it lags terrible , HBO, viaplay (Scandinavian) , and a few others is only on iOs/android), on streaming audio it's a little better.

Also I feel many commercial apps lacks features comparing to eg android.

Also the lack off using Miracast (not on 1029), mhl and cromecast - not to mention no add word to dictionary in Danish is quite annoying :(

Here drive is the only app I have found to better compared to a similar app for android. Even office disappointed me with no edit or zoom in power point :( and the calendar is only syncing for 90 days - so for business use it have some issues as well.

There is also the locks preventing developers doing great stuff like location based SMS.

So in short I doesn't hate my phone, but I doesn't see my Lumia 1020 being faster than my sgs3 and apps also stops working (especially drive), and it doesn't have any special features besides the brilliant clearBlack screen (some models)...

infiniti_12

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
I have used WP for some years and as a low to mid end phone os it's perhaps the best (haven't used new android phones in this segment though).

As a non English user I must admit the app gap is HUGE. Perhaps one out ten advertised apps is also for WP ASP also. Streaming on demand (in Denmark) is almost non existent (on video: Netflix works, but lack cromecast, one have an app, but it lags terrible , HBO, viaplay (Scandinavian) , and a few others is only on iOs/android), on streaming audio it's a little better.

Also I feel many commercial apps lacks features comparing to eg android.

Also the lack off using Miracast (not on 1029), mhl and cromecast - not to mention no add word to dictionary in Danish is quite annoying :(

Here drive is the only app I have found to better compared to a similar app for android. Even office disappointed me with no edit or zoom in power point :( and the calendar is only syncing for 90 days - so for business use it have some issues as well.

There is also the locks preventing developers doing great stuff like location based SMS.

So in short I doesn't hate my phone, but I doesn't see my Lumia 1020 being faster than my sgs3 and apps also stops working (especially drive), and it doesn't have any special features besides the brilliant clearBlack screen (some models)...

That's my problem too. I can't see the improvement in Windows Store though there are new apps but still not enough to beat those that are in Play Store or App Store. I don't know, or maybe it's just me, that WP really needs more time to be matured. I love WP than other OS's but whenever I see other people using an Apple iPhone or Android flagship, it really feels different. It's like you're being left out. :/

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm a dual user (Android and WP) and I went Android as my daily driver not because the OS itself is better than WP, but the support for the stuff that's important to me is better. I still like my 1520.3 but even that phone is a good example of promise unfulfilled. It is a nice 6" screen that could use apps that take advantage of the real estate, but doesn't. Personally,I don't care for a vast improvement in terms of quantity of apps, but quality is better -especially in terms of app support. If you're not going to add more apps, then OS itself has to offset that feature wise. To me WP is in this weird in-between place, where from a low end, to low mid range bracket, there is tremendous value. But from a true mid range to a high end range, there isn't.

The fact is the OS "still needs more seasoning" and that's been said since 7.5. Cannot blame some people for leaving, applaud those who stayed, and empathize with people like me who are on the fence.

Posting 1+1 Style!

infiniti_12

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm a dual user (Android and WP) and I went Android as my daily driver not because the OS itself is better than WP, but the support for the stuff that's important to me is better. I still like my 1520.3 but even that phone is a good example of promise unfulfilled. It is a nice 6" screen that could use apps that take advantage of the real estate, but doesn't. Personally,I don't care for a vast improvement in terms of quantity of apps, but quality is better -especially in terms of app support. If you're not going to add more apps, then OS itself has to offset that feature wise. To me WP is in this weird in-between place, where from a low end, to low mid range bracket, there is tremendous value. But from a true mid range to a high end range, there isn't.

The fact is the OS "still needs more seasoning" and that's been said since 7.5. Cannot blame some people for leaving, applaud those who stayed, and empathize with people like me who are on the fence.

Posting 1+1 Style!

I agree to you. I'm also on the fence of leaving Windows Phone but there's something that's pulling me not to. Personally, I prefer midrange than high end. And tomorrow I'm due to upgrade from my Lumia 520. Been thinking about moving to iOS with iPhone 4s or Android with LG G3 S or stay on WP with Lumia 735. I'm really confused. :/ Tired with the Apps of WP, iOS 8 is slow, Android stutters on G3 S. It's really... ugh.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I suppose everyone has their own experience, but mine has been nothing but positive. I have no plans to leave Windows Phone.

Neo Nuke

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I have an iPad mini with retina display that I hardly use except for apps that are missing and because standby battery life and is excellent for web browsing as well. I have a GS4 and hate the lag and scrolling of Chrome along with the battery drain but like the way Xbox music works on it better than my Lumia 1020. My 1020 gas an amazing camera and great buttery smooth performance except for certain websites when it is masking itself as a webkit browser and Xbox music. Also has terrible Bluetooth and wifi issues that Microsoft is supposedly working on. The feeling that I'm constantly is a beta tester gas had me on the fence in awhile but I found only the Moto X on Android to be the only phone I've liked as much as a windows phone with hardware and software playing together well and all iOS devices as boring and hindered because if their OS although app support and build quality are amazing.

Makm

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Gonna wait for windows 10. If it doesnt meet my expectations, then "goodbye wp & hello android". But I'll move back to wp if it meets my expectations someday, as wp is my first love (in case of smartphones).

Andre-Omari John

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm sticking with Windows. Will throw my 8X in the bin (good phone, no support) and never touch HTC again, then move onto a Lumia next year for my upgrade. There is no doubt that WP annoys the hell out of me though. For that reason I'll have to get an Android for work. I'm hopeful things will get better in Windows 10, but don't care either way. I still have a 64 bit win 7 gaming PC to fall back on.

carlson03

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
I am staying with WP as long as I can...don't care for Apple and android has some possible exploits that worry me...I love how well the OS can run on older hardware, have a L920 and runs 8.1 without any lag.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I've loved the WP experience during my time with the Lumia 800 and 920. If I were to leave, it would be more with me wanting to try the other platforms to see what they are like rather than because I wasn't happy with the WP platform. Though I would probably always have a WP available for when I want to try it out again.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Tbh, I have no idea what to think of that current trend of being unsatisfied with WP. I'm a day one user, meaning I remember how limited Windows Phone 7 was. And it has come a very very long way since then. Even though due to its philosophy towards more security, stability and performance, it will never be as open and customizable as Android - something the majority of Android users is taking advantage of or even being aware of - it's pretty much on par with both, Android and iOS from a feature perspective. Apps are certainly an entirely different topic, but that's something that's not exactly up to Microsoft. They just can't do jack about the negative attitude towards MS and their products brought to them by companies like Google or Snapchat for example.
I'm using roughly around 100 apps on my device, and I'm totally fine with each and every one of them. I'm not of that age where the most significant things in life are the latest and greatest offsprings of - awkward - social networks need to be available for me. Nor do I care much if I can play Flappy Birds or the like or not. I'm a gamer guy, don't get me wrong, but if I want to play some serious games, I'll grab my Xbox One and that's about it.

If there are apps out that that are so important to you that you can't even imagine how to carry on living your life without them, then it's not an OS or company that's causing issues, but it's you who should rethink his life. Seriously.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Eh.... I have set aside some money to update my smartphone from the aging L920 I have. And....

Haven't seriously thought about Android or iOS. So, that answers that. I use my wife's LG Flex all the time and we have two entire families we know that are all Apple all the time. I play with those a ton. I am just not interested. I do not like Google's practices as a company. And I actually respect Apple. They are a high quality and well supported OS and universal company. But you also pay through the nostrils for the right to own an Apple product.

Throw in I still like the OS and I am not a huge app user and it adds up to a shiny new WP for me.

Microsoft has me, at least through 2015. After that, we will see.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Tbh, I have no idea what to think of that current trend of being unsatisfied with WP. I'm a day one user, meaning I remember how limited Windows Phone 7 was. And it has come a very very long way since then. Even though due to its philosophy towards more security, stability and performance, it will never be as open and customizable as Android - something the majority of Android users is taking advantage of or even being aware of - it's pretty much on par with both, Android and iOS from a feature perspective. Apps are certainly an entirely different topic, but that's something that's not exactly up to Microsoft. They just can't do jack about the negative attitude towards MS and their products brought to them by companies like Google or Snapchat for example.
I'm using roughly around 100 apps on my device, and I'm totally fine with each and every one of them. I'm not of that age where the most significant things in life are the latest and greatest offsprings of - awkward - social networks need to be available for me. Nor do I care much if I can play Flappy Birds or the like or not. I'm a gamer guy, don't get me wrong, but if I want to play some serious games, I'll grab my Xbox One and that's about it.

If there are apps out that that are so important to you that you can't even imagine how to carry on living your life without them, then it's not an OS or company that's causing issues, but it's you who should rethink his life. Seriously.

Actually, MSFT can do a lot to change some of the negative perceptions. They're working on this,but the pace is a bit slow - that's killing them in the interim.

People forget how large of a company MSFT is. And the problem behind that is when you talk of a grand vision and you're a big company that makes changes slowly, it is difficult to keep up with the market or even set the pace for the marketplace. MSFT separately has made some very good products but due to the siloed nature of the company their integration is taking a lot longer than expected. Nadella has even admitted about who siloed the company has been.

No OS will fit everyone. Apple, Google and MSFT care to lock users into their ecosystem and make it appealing for people to stay - retention of users leads to consistent profits. That's why many average users find it hard to switch platforms, and some find it jarring to jump to Windows. Truth be told, as devices get more powerful, people's expectations change. Not everyone can afford to constantly upgrade. So if someone is investing in a piece of tech for a while, getting the best bang for buck is essential.

For some professional careers, iOS has the best support. In my workplace, most of the medical clinicians have iOS. The medical apps on there are pretty robust. The few who use android do so more of out of personal use. No one has a WP. Our local IT designed an app for patients to stay in contact with the clinic launched an iOS version first, then an Android app. There are no plans for windows, as most of the patients use an Android or iOS device. I can count the number of WP I've seen on hand in the past 2 years in the clinic I've seen, mostly the 8X and the 521. This a facility that averages 11,000 visits by youth annually.

I have a friend who is a pilot and has been a windows supporter for years. He's got an iPhone and an iPad though for his flying needs because of the strong app development. He likes the surface line, bit won't use because it lacks those critical apps for him. In both cases, I wouldn't dare talk about WP as a viable option.

MSFT has to leverage the universal app idea by making its core apps the true benchmark for developers. They have to get new, well designed version 1 apps in the store...not some bull**** redesign/decoupling (Xbox Music) that took constant updates to get it back to what it once was. This also applies to promoting the good indie devs to build those apps like Jay and Rudy as gold standards too. And finally building better links with those companies with make cross platform apps, as some of the cross platform apps are not as equal on WP.

I came to WP because of potential and the idea of less app realince for more OS efficiency. There isn't as much OS efficiency because while what it does it does well, new features have been added too slowly from a historical view. Most people don't buy tech on what it can do in the future, they do so for what it can do today. That's the perception MSFT has to fight.

It is such a long climb. MSFT has the #3 Mobile OS locked down, but it is to be determined whether it is still seen as a viable option or something people will develop for just because it is necessary and as such keep making half assed options.

Posted Approved by Nexus 7 (2013)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077