After upgrading Lumia 830 to Windows 10 tiles for pinned webpage links show a solid colour only.

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Prior to upgrading to Windows 10, I was running 'Lumia Denim' & what I assume was Windows 8.1 on my Lumia 830. I had several shortcuts to web pages on tiles on my home screen which, regardless of the tile size, showed an image which, at a glance, I could tell what web page the shortcut was for. Now the same tiles just show a blank blue square and are indistinguishable from each other until I actually open the link.
Is this related to the change from Internet Explorer to 'Edge', or is it something that can be rectified?
There is not much point in using the 'Pin to Start' option on a webpage, if the pinned tile does not give an indication of what the link is.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Now that you've reposted, you actually may need to re-pin those web pages again and wait for a second before the icon shows up.l as long as the website supports the feature. Some websites also provide notifications in pinned view.

iainsimo

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
No go, the tiles are still a solid colour after re-pinning. Am I to believe that IE had an 'edge' (Pun intended) over Edge in that no matter what page was pinned to the start menu on Windows phone 8.1, an image was always shown? Now all I get if I pin a webpage to the start menu is a small amount of plain text if I keep the icon large, or just the 'e' from the Edge logo if I shrink the icon.
Again, i have to ask, what is the point of using the 'Pin to Start' option on a webpage, if the pinned tile does not give an indication of what the link is.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
So you're both right :)

Yes for MSPU and WC the color and tiles do show up, however this doesn't happen for every pinned website. So it must be sth with the website itself.

I can however also confirm that Edge doesn't have the functionality yet. At least not like we were used to with the 8.1 browser.
Back then you could pin any page and get an icon plus the tile would update every now and then, but currently with Edge this isn't the case yet.

Yes we have complained to Microsoft about this, but so far it hasn't been implemented yet.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Can I get Internet Explorer back, or has it been wiped? I didn't lose IE when I upgraded my PCs to Windows 10, so it should still be on my phone, too.

It should eh? :winktongue: Obviously MS does not agree hehe

No there is no way to get IE back, but there are a few other browsers in the store you can give a shot

iainsimo

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
Think it's a bit rude for MS to remove IE without asking my permission.
Can anyone recommend an alternate browser to Edge for Windows Phone? And would an alternate browser have the pin to start option?
So far, I have found only one website that I pinned to start that will give an image. it is North Pine Anglican Church. This is our Church website and the lady who maintains it is pretty tech savvy. Can anyone say what might be different about this site that it gives an image wheras, Wikipedia, for example, does not? - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page.
I've also just tried the Winbeta site referred to by pankaj981 on my PC and that works too. However I'm not really interested in pinning tiles to my PC's start. I only want to do this on my Windows phone. Because most organisations only have apps for Apple & Android and not Windows phone, being able to pin website tiles to the Start on Windows phone WAS a very useful feature. Now it is absolutely useless.

XToro

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
I only had a couple of web tiles, but I still find it annoying that Edge doesn't have this feature. I can only assume that it will come back in an update eventually.

iainsimo

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
My son actually mentioned that (html5) as a possibility last week. How would I be able to verify that on individual sites?
For now, I have downloaded the 'Surfy' Browser on my phone and - presto! - I can pin tiles with images from it. The resolution of the images is poor, but at least they are discernable. So, until Edge catches up to what IE had, I will be using Surfy.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Right click on a page > Select "View Source Code" or "View Page Code".

The first line will have the DOCTYPE which shows the HTML version of the page. If it's in HTML5 then it will say "<!DOCTYPE html>"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cagkles124