Alpha status of Cortana!

Vicky Krishnatrai

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Hey guyz, its sound really nice to have a cortana now in India, Canada and Australia too in Alpha status. But, little confusion is coming outside that what does it really mean?

MrGoodSmith

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I am really interested in knowing how the alpha version differs from the beta and final Cortana. I refused to change my phone region to US, and can't wait until the update 1 is released next week.

Binary Ninja

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Software has a release cycle because it goes through testing before RETAIL releases .. Normally it goes Pre-Alpha , Alpha , Beta several of these stages then (RC) Release Candidate , (RTM) Release to Manufacturing then finally (GA) general availability ..

Cortana should be quicker in these Alpha , Beta stages as it is already released for US market , problems will be with adapting to changes in language / regions for the other markets

Pranav Vaidya

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Alpha is a testing stage where the application is tested within the development center for the final time. Those are somewhat controlled conditions. Beta is next testing stage where application is tested in natural conditions (through end users i.e. the customers).

lum5

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
A small doubt does we need to have wp8.1 update 1 releasing next week for using cortana when it is released in India? or only the simple wp8.1 cyan needed?

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I cannot say definitively, but I would suggest that those on the Alpha expect that you can enable Cortana in your region without having to switch to EN-US so you can have your phone in your native language but not expect FULL functionality.

I think this is a great move as Speech Recognition needs to have some heavy testing so using it will help development. Once other Bing services are enabled for your region and GeoFencing is more solid, I would expect her to get only better.

I REALLY hope this is the way they are going to move forward with Cortana when coming to new regions as it can only be beneficial.

Sure, not everything is there, but the more people use Cortana in their native language, the better she will get, and faster! Keep up the great work on spreading the word and let's get her out everywhere!

collinsgar

Jul 19, 2014
Visit site
I hope the version released for the UK works significantly different from the US version.

Installed the US version and the novelty's already worn off. Can't pick up my accent, half the time doesn't work, or searches BING for the wrong things or does something completely different from what i asked. Have uninstalled and will wait to test the UK version instead.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
I cannot say definitively, but I would suggest that those on the Alpha expect that you can enable Cortana in your region without having to switch to EN-US so you can have your phone in your native language but not expect FULL functionality.

I think this is a great move as Speech Recognition needs to have some heavy testing so using it will help development. Once other Bing services are enabled for your region and GeoFencing is more solid, I would expect her to get only better.

I REALLY hope this is the way they are going to move forward with Cortana when coming to new regions as it can only be beneficial.

Sure, not everything is there, but the more people use Cortana in their native language, the better she will get, and faster! Keep up the great work on spreading the word and let's get her out everywhere!

With this in mind, can users in the UK expect Cortana to just 'appear' at some point when all is set to EN-UK, which happens when all is set to EN-US?

lum5

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site

talderon can u pls reply to my question

Adirocks

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
A small doubt does we need to have wp8.1 update 1 releasing next week for using cortana when it is released in India? or only the simple wp8.1 cyan needed?

If u want to try Cortana(alpha) which is going to be in India next week then its necessary to be on wp8.1 update 1
But if u r k with us version den u cn try it on simple wp8.1 by changing region to US

MrGoodSmith

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I am in Canada and I finally got Cortana. But she doesn't ask me about my interests, and when I try to set them up manually adding a new interest, I get an empty screen "Choose a category" but nothing available to choose from.
Do other alpha Cortana users get the same?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb