Already have two scratches on the glass!!

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Apparently my model got Chimpanze glass! 24 hours and there are two scratches. The phone has to be angled correctly, but you can see them.

Looks like I will be exchanging this because of the "data connection" issue after all! Maybe screen cover would hide them? Has before on my iPhones.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Apparently my model got Chimpanze glass! 24 hours and there are two scratches. The phone has to be angled correctly, but you can see them.

Looks like I will be exchanging this because of the "data connection" issue after all! Maybe screen cover would hide them? Has before on my iPhones.

Do you carry the phone in your pocket with keys? How did it get scratched? I doubt an iPhone would do any better as it's made with the same Corning glass.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Actually, the quality of the iPhone's glass seems to be considerably crappier. iPhone's routinely crack after a single drop. I dropped my Lumia 800 at least a half a dozen times, some on concrete. Not even a scratch on the glass.

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Actually, the quality of the iPhone's glass seems to be considerably crappier. iPhone's routinely crack after a single drop. I dropped my Lumia 800 at least a half a dozen times, some on concrete. Not even a scratch on the glass.

Jesus - do you have butter fingers? I own an iPod Touch and I have never ever dropped it.

MattLFC

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I've dropped my TP2 100+ times, landing at force on concrete even... the LCD is still going strong. Sounds like these Gorilla glass devices are not so strong lol. Still I have a screen protector on my TP2 so it always "looks" new (on the front at least lol) and I've not removed the screen plastic off my 710 as yet, though the more stories I head about scratches on the glass of 710/800/900's, the more I think I'll be purchasing a pack of SP's before I do so...

Sorry to hear you have scratches, you can remove them using a 3M compound, but it is effectively like "T-cutting" you screen, so whether you choose to do so or not is up to your confidence lol...

sideshot

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site

Maybe screen cover would hide them :confused:
you should use screen cover before you get scratches :D

ftap

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Have always put screen protectors on all my smart phones even ghetto screen protectors from the old blackberry days. (all iPhones, windows mobile, and android phones I ever owned an that's like over 30 smartphones the past 7 years)

Last year after getting the Motorola Atrix with their so called gorilla glass. I went without a screen protector and bam 3 days after having it I notice 3 scratched on the screen.

Pissed me off. Must have been put together with my keys and I failed to notice it.

So my one experience without screen protectors the past 7 years gets the screen scratch.

I haven't brought a screen protector for the lumia 900 yet. But I found one of my old universal screen protectors and cut it out and put it on the screen as a stop gap measure.

ousooner314

May 6, 2011
Visit site
Sucks that you already have scratches on your new phone. It always makes my heart sink when I get my first dent/scratch/imperfection on a new phone. However, I don't think Gorilla Glass was ever intended to be scratch proof, just more resistant to normal cirumstances. That being said, a pointed metallic edge always wins against glass.. Hope you can get it replaced because of the data issue, and consider it a mulligan!! Oh, and put a screen protector!! :)

blamattack

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
That sounds like bad luck to me... I've had my focus for over two years now and never put a case or screen protector on it, and the screen looks awesome. It always gets its own pocket... Left front to be exact :)

Should be getting my 900 on the 16th. I hope it holds up as well as my focus has!

NeighbrhoodPush

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
My screen is still looking good but I can't say as much about the raised "lip" around the screen. My 900 slipped out of my hand and and fell no more than 5" onto my laptop and now I've got 4 dents/gashes on the raised "lip." oh well its still a great phone

jamesdean74

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I'll tell ya, my wife has dropped her iPhone 4 at least a dozen times, on concrete, our wood floor, carpet and linoleum... So far just a few marks on the stainless steel band, but no cracks or scratches.... So if your iPhone breaks when you drop it, you're dropping it wrong!

ljkelley

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site

You can not compare a plastic screen to a glass screen. The industry has moved to glass screens. Oddly the only screen I have broken is the plastic screen on the TP2. I have scratched a few glass screens though. My iPod Touch and my HD7 before I exchanged it. Now I use screen protectors and have never had a single scratch. Screen protectors can also help take impacts and thus people using them are less likely to shatter the display.

Gorilla Glass is scratch resistive and stronger (so less prone to shattering) than traditional glass. However, it is still a thin piece of glass and should be treated with care.

The iPhone 4S/4 uses a lot of glass, both front and back, so its area available to scratch/shatter is just that much more and the metal body doesn't give unlike better designed phones (looks is only one part, Apple, hence Antennagate).

SuperSport

Mar 25, 2008
Visit site
My screen is still looking good but I can't say as much about the raised "lip" around the screen. My 900 slipped out of my hand and and fell no more than 5" onto my laptop and now I've got 4 dents/gashes on the raised "lip." oh well its still a great phone

I've heard some complaints about that "Lip" on the 900. Personally, I'd prefer it without also, but what you described is exactly why it's there. When dropped, the lip takes the brunt of the hit, and saves the glass. I guess for that reason, I'll be happy with it on my phone.

Los

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I'll tell ya, my wife has dropped her iPhone 4 at least a dozen times, on concrete, our wood floor, carpet and linoleum... So far just a few marks on the stainless steel band, but no cracks or scratches.... So if your iPhone breaks when you drop it, you're dropping it wrong!

So you're saying its user error? Aren't we lucky to have beta testers like you. LOL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb