Am I the only one disappointed in the 930's design?

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I agree, and I think the polycarbonate Nokia uses is as premium as it gets. It feels more sturdy than many phones that utilize aluminum in fact. I think part of what set Lumia apart was its design language in general (not just materials), specifically the rounded edges and squared corners. They've done the opposite with the 930 though (squared edges and rounded corners). Whether or not it looks good is up to personal taste, but it does make the phone look a lot more like others I think.

Out of polycarbonate, and Aluminium, which is a stronger material? I know all medium end tennis rackets are made up of Aluminium. People say that Aluminium doesn't have a good tensile strength, but still a tennis racket can take the pressure while hitting the ball. If this tennis racket was made up polycarbonate, would it be able to take that?

Candide yams

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I really like the design. It still stands out to me. Also, I'm hoping that if this is the new Nokia design language that this will also mean that future phones will follow similar specifications. One thing iPhone and Galaxy have over the Lumias is that because the measurements are largely the same throughout, they get a large number of compatible cases. For the sake of getting more than 5 choices for a phone case, i'm happy if the 930, 935, 940 and other phones follow this look. Honestly, it's smarter in the long run. Heck, make a 830 and have it be the same size as the 630!

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
How about trying...

View attachment 61948

Combined with...

View attachment 61949

The only thing the 925 really has in common with the 930 is the materials. The 925 is a sexy device with style and curves. The 930 is a brick in comparison. So basically Nokia took the plastic brick design of the 928 and put a metal band around it and called it the Icon. Then they recycled the same design again with different colored back plates and called it the 930. Disappointment would be an understatement.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
The only thing the 925 really has in common with the 930 is the materials. The 925 is a sexy device with style and curves. The 930 is a brick in comparison. So basically Nokia took the plastic brick design of the 928 and put a metal band around it and called it the Icon. Then they recycled the same design again with different colored back plates and called it the 930. Disappointment would be an understatement.

The 930 does not look enough like the 928 to be considered a "recycled" design. And I've received more compliments on the look of this white Icon in the last month than I have on any other phone in the past.

The Icon and the 930 are gorgeous pieces of technology, and I'm happy to have one.

anon(5344685)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I like it!. I had 800 and now 920 and still love the round design, but
1. If 930 would be round/pebble again I bet all the tech website would point it as boring/ copying the same for the 3rd time
2. The Best selling flagships which currently still are GS4 and iPhone 5S are blocky on the sides and either silver painted or metal finished, so giving this premium touch to Lumia together with improvements in 8.1 maybe be just what masses wants and sorry guys but Windows Phone needs these masses to stay relevant.
930 will do great, it's a proper flagship to hold for next 18/24 months and I would recommend you lot to get it as I'll do! ;)

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
What wrong it being on top? I got 928 and I think it's right place to put USB port. 99.9% I charge on plate anyway

Dk92

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
This is FAKE. Lumia 930 / ICON never had micro USB on the top. One big reason that I hate Lumia 928 and 925 because of placement of Micro USB
wait....the 928 has micro USB?? Mind telling where its located? Edit: Oh...youre talking about the charge port -_- I always get Micro SD and USB mixed lol

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
What wrong it being on top? I got 928 and I think it's right place to put USB port. 99.9% I charge on plate anyway

You can't use it as a dock connector. It looks bit odd. If you look at all the high end flagship devices (except sony), It is the standard to place micro USB on botton and 3.5mm lead on top. Everyone cannot afford a 100$ charging plate.

wait....the 928 has micro USB?? Mind telling where its located? Edit: Oh...youre talking about the charge port -_- I always get Micro SD and USB mixed lol

Micro USB is used for charging as well as data transfer