Amber Update UK Thread

Hornet2012

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
or most likely not get any more OTA. If your product code is different to the ROM you've flashed, chances are your phone won't be recognised anymore for any OTA.

Not really true, you will get updates for the rom you have installed. I have just flashed the UK Vodafone Portico rom onto my CV GB handset and straight away I have been notified of the Vodafone GDR2/ Amber update!
I always like to install an earlier version from NCS and then let the latest version install OTA, that way it proves you will get future updates!

when the CV GB update is out I will probably go back to that assuming it has 4G enabled.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I am starting to think the reason why unbranded devices take longer to update its probably because it goes through all the carriers to approve?

As majority of the country variants still indicates (here Availability in Europe - Nokia ) "Waiting for Approval".. otherwise OEMs should be pushing out the updates for unbranded devices first unless I guess they are still testing it themselves.

coldside

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm hoping that they release the EE update in less than a week because I'll be going on holidays and would like the Pro Camera app...

I have a question: I unlocked my EE L920 so does that mean I have to wait for the EE update to be pushed out or do I go with the "unbranded unlocked country variant" update?

klcow

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm hoping that they release the EE update in less than a week because I'll be going on holidays and would like the Pro Camera app...

I have a question: I unlocked my EE L920 so does that mean I have to wait for the EE update to be pushed out or do I go with the "unbranded unlocked country variant" update?

I'm in the same shoes as you are, having an unlocked 920. You still will have to wait for the EE update, although its unlocked, the firmware is still EE's so the phone will still follow EE's update schedule.....unfortunately

Tom Crook1

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Got a reply on FB;

"Hi Tom, we do not currently have any updates on if or when the update for the Nokia Lumia 920 devices will be released for branded EE phones. We will keep you posted with any updates as soon as we have them."

Tom Crook1

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Also 2 replies on twitter.

T-MOBILE UK ‏@TMobileUK 10h
@CrookyLeeds We'll tweet when we have news :)

Expand

T-MOBILE UK ‏@TMobileUK 10h
@CrookyLeeds Hi, unfortunately we're not advised if/when to expect updates so unfortunately have no news at this time.

Expand

Tom Crook1

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for the poor formatting, im on my phone.

At least they're communicating now. I think theyre holding back on giving definite answers just incase anything changes

Jealy666

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I flashed my EE 920 to the French ROM the other week and all is fine.

Couldn't be arsed waiting for EE. Still waiting for a decent MyEE app and EEWifi app.

Good network but I'm not holding my breath.

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Unbranded and O2 (both UK) changed to Coming Soon today, which by the sounds of it means it's closer than Waiting for Approval....so hopefully soon...

I wonder if O2, Vodafone and Unbranded have been pulled forward because of the impending 4G launches? Here's hoping in my case.... I'm now on a 4G tariff with my unbranded L920 and still the 4G option hasn't magically appeared in Highest Network Speed :/

anon(5354452)

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Unbranded and O2 (both UK) changed to Coming Soon today, which by the sounds of it means it's closer than Waiting for Approval....so hopefully soon...

I wonder if O2, Vodafone and Unbranded have been pulled forward because of the impending 4G launches? Here's hoping in my case.... I'm now on a 4G tariff with my unbranded L920 and still the 4G option hasn't magically appeared in Highest Network Speed :/
Yeah saw just now that the page has been updated (yay...!). Here's hoping that the country variant (unlocked-unbranded) isn't the last to receive the update again. :eek:rly:

Also hoping the 4G selection is finally unlocked, If it's not I'm going to be sad. And angry...

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Yeah saw just now that the page has been updated (yay...!). Here's hoping that the country variant (unlocked-unbranded) isn't the last to receive the update again. :eek:rly:

Also hoping the 4G selection is finally unlocked, If it's not I'm going to be sad. And angry...

I'm hoping for exactly the same things as you, I signed up to a 4G tariff at the weekend so if they don't activate it this time I'm just going to put the Vodafone software on...

...I'm still hopeful though considering the way they seem to be prioritising the 2 networks who are about to launch 4G on Friday... I would think as the Unlocked version also seems to be in the final stage that it would be out pretty soon too (hopefully days rather than weeks)

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm hoping for exactly the same things as you, I signed up to a 4G tariff at the weekend so if they don't activate it this time I'm just going to put the Vodafone software on...

...I'm still hopeful though considering the way they seem to be prioritising the 2 networks who are about to launch 4G on Friday... I would think as the Unlocked version also seems to be in the final stage that it would be out pretty soon too (hopefully days rather than weeks)
  1. How did you sign up? online or over the phone with O2 or Vodaphone?
  2. Did you get a new sim?

I spoke to O2 and they were adamant they could not discuss anything 4g until official launch which I believe is the 29th of August as I could not upgrade my tariff online... So my hunch is it will appear when launched. I'm going to see if I can wrangle a deal out of them :devil: lol.

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
  1. How did you sign up? online or over the phone with O2 or Vodaphone?
  2. Did you get a new sim?

I spoke to O2 and they were adamant they could not discuss anything 4g until official launch which I believe is the 29th of August as I could not upgrade my tariff online... So my hunch is it will appear when launched. I'm going to see if I can wrangle a deal out of them :devil: lol.

In my experience the people on the phone are absolutely useless at mobile providers.

I'm with Vodafone and after refusing to pay more than the tariff costs 3 times on the phone, I went into their store in Victoria Station where they were not only really nice but quite happily switched me to a 4G-ready plan in 5 minutes.

No new SIM needed and Ive had the confirmation texts and my account online has updated. Similarly no extension to my contract, its just a tariff upgrade for the remaining term (I've moved up tariffs before and stores have always been more helpful!)

Normally I'd always rrecommend going into a store, on the phone they just assume you want a standard upgrade whereas all that's necessary is a tariff change, in store they tend to have a better understanding of how the world works... And they cant try and overcharge you because the literature is right there...

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
UK providers really do suck at this. Well done to Vodafone for being well ahead of the curve but I've got a feeling many of us will be waiting weeks, maybe a month or so for the update.

Surely they must know when they're planning to roll it out?

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
UK providers really do suck at this. Well done to Vodafone for being well ahead of the curve but I've got a feeling many of us will be waiting weeks, maybe a month or so for the update.

Surely they must know when they're planning to roll it out?

Any update is always like this (except with iOS, but then they get their fair share of problems). It's always staggered over a couple of months, and I think just about every mobile provider in the world are just as bad as each other!

I'm sure Nokia have their own internal schedule, but that relies on all the networks giving their approval on time - most are notoriously variable and so realistically it wouldn't be sensible for Nokia to publish the timelines because they would look like idiots when the networks (inevitably) can't be bothered to do their job.

The advantage of Windows Phone/Nokia is that they actually produce websites like these which compare the different variants against each other, and are honest about which phones get what updates, which runs contrary to the absolute minefield that Android is. With Windows Phone, you can be fairly sure when you buy that you'll get at least one major upgrade in the lifetime of the phone, probably a few minor ones too, regardless of device. With Android, it's total and absolute pot luck as to whatever the manufacturer can be bothered to implement, then even more luck if your carrier can be bothered to do their bit too - which is exactly the problem Android now has, it has become so unbelievably fragmented that nobody can really support it properly anymore.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea