Amzer Lux Argyle Case

gillbell

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Hey all,

Just wanted to comment on a case I got a couple of weeks ago from Amazon. I know people have been searching for good ones. At $9.99, this is a hell of a case.

Its made of a form fitting, rubberized, one-piece covering. You slide one end into the case, and then pull the other end on. It is nice and tight around the phone, but not so tight as to cause the keys to press on their own or accidentally. The charging port, headphone jack, speaker, camera/flash and microphone all line up perfectly with the cutouts. The volume rocker, power button, and camera button are not cutout but have raised areas covering them. The raised areas prevent accidental presses; however, it does not make the buttons hard to manipulate.

The edges around the screen do rise up and create a raised border around the phone to protect the face of the phone if it is dropped.

Unfortunately for me, but fortunately for this review, I got to put the case through a real world trial yesterday. I had the phone on my lap while driving. I went to get out of my vehicle and upon standing, flung the phone about 4 feet from my car onto concrete. I watched in slow motion horror as my phone bounced several times before landing face down. After I recovered from my heart attack, I retrieved my phone and was exceptionally happy to see that my 9.99 paid off in full. The phone was in perfect condition and the case only had a few superficial scratches.

So if you guys are like me and want something to protect your phone.... from you, then check out this case. They have it in a few different colors and its a lot cheaper than getting one from AT&T or something like that.

Cheers all.

firedancer1189

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the detailed review.

This case got great reviews on Amazon as well. Looks like it's well worth the 10 bucks. I was leaning towards just getting a screen protector with no case but now I am leaning towards getting this case with no screen protector.

Seems like every screen protector made for it just takes away with how fluid and reactive the screen is. If the gorilla glass is half as good as people say it is then maybe a case is all you need.

gillbell

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Yea, I trust the gorilla glass. Plus, I've NEVER had a good experience with screen protectors. I'm pretty sure I'm handicapped at applying them. I always end up with at least a couple tiny bubbles or a piece of lint stuck under the shield.

The screen is so gorgeous on this phone, I'd hate to muffle it. Even after about 2 months of ownership, I still stare at the screen like a child watching fireworks.

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Best way to apply a screen protector is after a shower, while there's still plenty of steam in the bathroom. The water particles weigh the dust particles down, so there's less dust in the air to potentially get under the screen protector. That, a slow, steady hand, and a lot of patience.

How's the feel of the case? From what I've read, it seems to be flexible rubber that's pretty firm and glossy. The best comparison I can think of is one of those drip trays that goes under a dish rack, but thinner and glossier.

electricbopeep

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the review. Can you specifically address how the case affects using the camera button - half-pressing to focus, fully pressing to take a picture, etc.?

I have a similar case and although the case is raised around the buttons, compared to my Amzer silicone case, it's tighter and the material doesn't have as much as give. It's harder to half-press to focus and when I do a whole press to take a pic, I have to press so hard that I'm moving the whole phone and disturbing the photo, which results in a blurry picture.

Between your review and the positive Amazon reviews of the pink version of this case (apparently it's subtle, which is the only way I'd consider using a pink case), I'd like to buy it but I'm wary of the camera button issue.

gillbell

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Hey all, sorry I'm just responding. Somebody my subscription got turned off!

@Rico: Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely have to try that. As far as the feel, it's pretty much how you described. It's a rubbery gloss that provides a good, comfortable grip but isn't so matte that it cakes up with lint and dust. It also doesn't build up with hand grime over time.

@Electric: The half-press camera took a little getting use to in order to find the sweet spot. Recently, I was at the World Beer Festival and took a ton of pictures with my phone. I didn't feel inconvenienced at all after a few pictures.

If I had to gripe about something... the cutout for the charging port can make it difficult to pull the slider back if you don't have fingernails. All in all though, thats a minor issue and I'm still able to manipulate the port just fine.

M4arc

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Sorry I really forgot how to make the links shorter but THIS case

BLACK RUBBERIZED SAMSUNG FOCUS i917 HARD CASE COVER on eBay.ca (item 360330811502 end time 21-Feb-11 14:00:43 EST)

Is the best. Shipping to Canada was 3.27$!

This case is the one you want. Great button functionality.

Why spend 10$ when you can spend 6$?

Very cool, I ordered one from ebay this morning for my Focus! I wasn't sure about it but for $6 I figured I couldn't go wrong. Glad to see I did good.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
melvas66