Android user wanting to make the switch. Q for Microsoft Devs in this forum about the app gap

GrantVanderBurg

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
So, I will state right away that I have never used a Windows Phone as my personal daily driver. However, this is an abridged version of what has led me here and why I am posting the question above.

I am a Canadian Smartphone user who is just about to finish his 3-year contract on December 17th (signed on that dotted line before they were outlawed and replaced by 2-year contracts). I think I was quite lucky in terms of my timing as I was about to dive into the smartphone world (December 2011). There were lots of options, but as someone who had been following tech news and doing research since September that year, the hype and allure of the Galaxy Nexus was too much to pass up. Three years later and I am still quite please with the phone. Yes, it has aged. However, within the first year I had unlocked the bootloader and rooted it. The potential of Android was unleashed. I went through a Cyanogenmod phase for a bit (as most ROMers do I think), but settled last year on ParanoidAndroid. The wonderful devs of this ROM have kept my phone up to date long after Google abandoned it (and improved it in many ways with features that are not even in stock android). Currently running a stable 4.4.4 beta and waiting on the Lollipop alphas or betas to come up soon. I could go on about all the things I love and hate about Android, however, that is not what this forum is for since it is Windows Central.

As my contract is about to end, I started in September researching again. As much as I love all Android has to offer, the allure of live tiles (and the consistency and beauty of the whole Windows Phone OS) is something that has always caught my eye. I am currently running an HP Spectre 13 laptop with Windows 8.1 update 1, and have been using Windows all my life. So I have been a long time fan of Microsoft's work. Especially the live tiles, as mentioned. They are what Android widgets should be; live information, but consistent across the board. Beyond this feature, I could compare Android and Windows Phone's strengths and weaknesses until the sun goes down. However, that is not the point of this post.

After keeping up with Windows Central news (and comments), reddit.com/r/windowsphone, and various other sites, this is my main concern before leaving Android for Windows Phone (really trying to condition myself that this is going to happen, but am going to need your help guys). Going forward, is Microsoft going to address the main issue(s) plaguing Windows Phone or are they just going to refresh things a bit and add a few new features? What are the main issue(s) I am talking about you ask?

Yes, this is a very broad question, so here are some sub-points to help guide answers. It can be debated what the main problem (or concern in my case) is with the Windows Phone app ecosystem. The 3rd party app problem is still, and I think always has been, the Achilles heel of this platform. I only need to give four examples to prove this point:

1. The obvious, "company X has an Android and iOS app, but has no plans to make a Windows Phone version", especially in the case where there are no viable 3rd party alternatives or they severely lack the features of their 1st party counterpart,

2. Similar to 1. would be Snapchat locking user accounts for using 3rd party clients (i.e. 6Snap) and not indicating that they are making a Windows Phone version anytime soon,

3.The official Instagram app has been in beta since March 2014 (will it ever be updated again?),

4. I can't think of a specific example now, but some companies have even pulled their Windows phone apps entirely! This leads to concern that they have burnt that bridge and will never develop for the platform again.

I really love the vision that the OS itself lends, however, are issues like the ones I listed discussed at Microsoft seriously? What kind of strategies are being used to address them? I don't understand how Microsoft signs a $400 million dollar deal with the NFL, just to use/showcase their products, yet, not address the features of the platform (primarily 3rd party apps, although there are of course things that Android does natively that Windows Phone does not, but that would be a whole other post). Why wouldn't they use that money to entice more developers directly?

So my final remark is this. As an Android user, I need someone to say that Microsoft is working on this/these issue(s) and that Windows 10 will usher in a new era where the apps are there and being updated regularly. Because unless someone can offer some sort of re-assurance, I may remain too scared to leave Android and all of the things it offers. Please show me the light, because I want to be part of this platform and love it, but to be honest, I am scared that it will leave me frustrated and sad.

Sincerely,
An Android power user who wants to support what is the most beautiful and functional OS at its core, yet leaves much to be desired...

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Am wp user you have to keep waiting for any app you want.you would be better if with your android for apps.wp is not for apps it is for very light user who likes live tile nd nokia hardware is good.
From Windows phone

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Before I go on I have to admit I am not a massive app user, it's the core OS that does nearly all I do on a phone.

From your post it basically boils down to one main issue and that is apps. At the moment MS has a relatively small market share in the smartphone world, where I am in the UK this is less so with about 10% and rising, but it is still the junior partner compared to android, the company I work for just developed new apps and didn't do a new one for WP (The old one is still pretty good as it happens) and this is from a company that is all Windows on it's PC's

So are MS trying to address this issue, I would say yes, on three fronts.

1 They certainly are trying to sell more WP's to increase market share, they have spent a shed load of pennies here in the UK on advertising this year.

2 They have just announced an initiative to get more devs on board (See main page) and have just bought another company to help devs (Also reported on the main page this week).

3 And I know it's a way off yet, but with the plans for W10 the idea is that apps will be far easier to develop for Windows across multiple devices.

It's your choice if you decide to move over to WP or stay with Android, if there are specific apps you need you would be advised to see if they are available, or if alternatives are.

For me it isn't an issue, as stated I am not an avid app downloader, whereas I do love the core OS, the design, the security, the ease of integration with my other devices and my family, so it's your choice, and the advice would be, look before you leap.

anon(8532178)

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Hmmm I did the opposite I purchased a cheap Android phone to see how it is of course it's a low end phone so it won't give me the real potential like using a Galaxy S5 or LG G3. Going from WP to Android was like "Woah!". Anyway if you want to WP get a low end WP like a Lumia 535 or Lumia 630 or old Lumia 920/5 or 1020. To get a feel of the OS but you'll probably got a feel already using Windows for awhile.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't do social media... But I do read Windows Central Forum quite heavily.

Based on your stated needs and the threads I read around here regarding the services you want most on a smart phone...

I'd say your time to move is not yet.

Check back in when the Spring announcements come out re: Windows 10 and Universal Apps. Everyone hopes that it will address many of your specific concerns (as many users have similar), but never count your chickens before they hatch...

In the meantime if you can stretch your Galaxy Nexus a bit farther (they are tanks - had one) it might help save up money for that next device. I'm sure you can hear LTE calling your name - LOL. Try and resist for 6 months or so.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
IDK, my bank pulled their app from the store a couple of years ago and stated they didn't have plans to support WP... Anyhow, maybe 6-9 months later, they jumped back in and released an app for WP. I guess what I'm trying to say is that an app getting pulled doesn't necessarily mean they won't ever release anything later down the road.

GrantVanderBurg

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys! Sorry for this delayed response. Winter break was really hectic and kind of forgot about my thread (since I posted it just before Christmas). Anyways, everyone here made some excellent points! So I sat down and really thought about it and this is what I settled on once the flurry of information cleared a path.

The reason my Galaxy Nexus has lasted this long has been the updates. Because let's be honest, it definitely had some teething problems upon its release and a bit beyond (I remember some annoying early days all too well). I owe many thanks to Google for the first update or two, and then many more thanks to the custom ROM developers, ParanoidAndroid mostly, after that.

So then it dawned on me that the Nexus line, with their unmatched versatility, have a deeply entrenched grasp on my heart. However, the Nexus 6 is most certainly not what I am looking for (Was hoping for Lumia 930 hardware/features, but Android software). Summer leaks and rumours of Shamu (i.e. Nexus 6) and the smaller mysterious Nexus (which turned out to be the Moto X 2014 IIRC) were a roller coaster ride of emotions for me.

So after much deliberation, this is my final plan of attack. I think I'm going to hold out for the next Nexus phone (be nice 2015). Although, I will also be eagerly following all the news coming from CES this week, MWC in March, and beyond. I'll see what Samsung's "Project Zero" S6 brings to the table, if LG's G4 addresses the overheating and throttling issues of the G3 (price to pay for one of the first qHD displays), and of course, what WIndows 10 brings to phones. However, since my GNex has been very temperamental lately, and I've been itching for a fresh start, I'm going out of my comfort zone and getting a stop-gap tool. It took a bit (read as, "a lot") of research and debate, of which I'll spare you the details, but tomorrow I will be the proud owner of a brand new Nokia Lumia 830!

Thanks to Kijiji I got a really good deal and this will let me dip my toes into the windows phone world, while I wait to see what 2015 brings. Of course, I'll have my rusty, I mean trusty, GNex in my backpack for SnapChat and the other skeletons of Windows Phone, but from my preliminary analysis, a good majority of my app needs are going to be met. This will give me the opportunity to get a feel for the OS, and see by the end of February if Windows 10 (lots of news by Chinese New Year reports say) will address any issues I encounter during my experimentation. While it obviously won't be revealed in its entirety, I am hoping they touch on major features (i.e. address any deal breakers in my case).

So once again, I would like to thank everyone who posted, it was of great help, and I look forward to talking with everyone more in the forums as I explore Windows Phone. Till next time, cheers!

anon(8532178)

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys! Sorry for this delayed response. Winter break was really hectic and kind of forgot about my thread (since I posted it just before Christmas). Anyways, everyone here made some excellent points! So I sat down and really thought about it and this is what I settled on once the flurry of information cleared a path.

The reason my Galaxy Nexus has lasted this long has been the updates. Because let's be honest, it definitely had some teething problems upon its release and a bit beyond (I remember some annoying early days all too well). I owe many thanks to Google for the first update or two, and then many more thanks to the custom ROM developers, ParanoidAndroid mostly, after that.

So then it dawned on me that the Nexus line, with their unmatched versatility, have a deeply entrenched grasp on my heart. However, the Nexus 6 is most certainly not what I am looking for (Was hoping for Lumia 930 hardware/features, but Android software). Summer leaks and rumours of Shamu (i.e. Nexus 6) and the smaller mysterious Nexus (which turned out to be the Moto X 2014 IIRC) were a roller coaster ride of emotions for me.

So after much deliberation, this is my final plan of attack. I think I'm going to hold out for the next Nexus phone (be nice 2015). Although, I will also be eagerly following all the news coming from CES this week, MWC in March, and beyond. I'll see what Samsung's "Project Zero" S6 brings to the table, if LG's G4 addresses the overheating and throttling issues of the G3 (price to pay for one of the first qHD displays), and of course, what WIndows 10 brings to phones. However, since my GNex has been very temperamental lately, and I've been itching for a fresh start, I'm going out of my comfort zone and getting a stop-gap tool. It took a bit (read as, "a lot") of research and debate, of which I'll spare you the details, but tomorrow I will be the proud owner of a brand new Nokia Lumia 830!

Thanks to Kijiji I got a really good deal and this will let me dip my toes into the windows phone world, while I wait to see what 2015 brings. Of course, I'll have my rusty, I mean trusty, GNex in my backpack for SnapChat and the other skeletons of Windows Phone, but from my preliminary analysis, a good majority of my app needs are going to be met. This will give me the opportunity to get a feel for the OS, and see by the end of February if Windows 10 (lots of news by Chinese New Year reports say) will address any issues I encounter during my experimentation. While it obviously won't be revealed in its entirety, I am hoping they touch on major features (i.e. address any deal breakers in my case).

So once again, I would like to thank everyone who posted, it was of great help, and I look forward to talking with everyone more in the forums as I explore Windows Phone. Till next time, cheers!
Congratulations and welcome and enjoy your Lumia 830. I wanted one but I bought a Lumia 1320 instead for 269$.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)