Any Ex BB Users here ?

fanatical

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmm Silly question, I'm sure they are a bunch, But any recent converts ?

I've finally decided to retire my Blackberry and ordered a Lumia 650 (yeah jumped off one sinking ship to another lol)
Just a little tired of BB giving up on their users and forcing Android down everyones throat, that and the lack of native app support from pretty much all vendors now.

Any tips to help make the transition less painful ? I will miss my hub, but I'll get over it. What features Did you miss when moving to Windows ? What new features can I look forward to ?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hmm Silly question, I'm sure they are a bunch, But any recent converts ?

I've finally decided to retire my Blackberry and ordered a Lumia 650 (yeah jumped off one sinking ship to another lol)
Just a little tired of BB giving up on their users and forcing Android down everyones throat, that and the lack of native app support from pretty much all vendors now.

Any tips to help make the transition less painful ? I will miss my hub, but I'll get over it. What features Did you miss when moving to Windows ? What new features can I look forward to ?

Umm I fear you may have jumped onto the wrong boat! Because frankly, Microsoft has somewhat given up on/stopped trying for the Windows Phone enthusiasts. Android for Blackberry isn't a dumb decision and you say forcing like its a bad thing.

Also yea, Windows 10 Mobile lacks native app support from pretty much all vendors too, ranging from poorer-than-usual performance, lack of feature parity or a complete absence so I'm not sure why the 650...

The main reason I say you may have jumped the wrong way though is that I currently use an Android phone (Nexus 5X) and the Blackberry Hub on Android is the best email/messaging solution I've used since my Z10/Q10 and it may be what you're looking for. It was meh when I first tried it last year but it's improved quite a bit. Basic Facebook Messenger support was just added today actually. 100% worth a dollar monthly for me.

However, the relative lack of gestures will take some getting used to (only modern counterpart I've found is Fling gestures on the Dirty Unicorns custom Android ROM) and the live tiles are a different take on what you know as Active Frames. (just more passive)

The keyboard may or may not be excellent. I know I loved it on 8.0 and 8.1 but it's taken a bit of a dip in prediction and swiping. It's still competent though.

You may miss the lack of notification LED support, especially color LEDs but you do get a feature known as Glance. There was some debate over the two historically, but frankly I love both.

But W10M is definitely a step up over BB10 in terms of apps. It's still poor, but its an improvement.

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I did from BB>windows L830>iPhone cause of the one app

I did like the L830, still do but no app
The fact that all the settings are the same as the pc makes it interesting

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The keyboard may or may not be excellent. I know I loved it on 8.0 and 8.1 but it's taken a bit of a dip in prediction and swiping. It's still competent though.
I thought it was just me. Yes, the prediction has taken a step backward in my opinion. As for the app situation between BB OS10 and Windows 10, BB still has some Android apps available that are non-existent on Windows (BBM, PayPal, Amazon and eBay for example). The ART is greatly improved on 10.3.2 and the lag is mostly contained. Another super function that's rarely discussed is the ability to connect Dropbox and OneDrive to the BB file manager. A one stop solution not found on any other platform.

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I thought it was just me. Yes, the prediction has taken a step backward in my opinion. As for the app situation between BB OS10 and Windows 10, BB still has some Android apps available that are non-existent on Windows (BBM, PayPal, Amazon and eBay for example). The ART is greatly improved on 10.3.2 and the lag is mostly contained. Another super function that's rarely discussed is the ability to connect Dropbox and OneDrive to the BB file manager. A one stop solution not found on any other platform.

I received an email from outlook to download on my iphone and says that quite a few things integrate to it like gmail, dropbox and maybe more. Don't quite remember

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I received an email from outlook to download on my iphone and says that quite a few things integrate to it like gmail, dropbox and maybe more. Don't quite remember
Unless they came up with one in the last week, iPhones (any iOS device for that matter) don't have file managers. Although I disagree with the generalization as being too simplistic, iPhones "are just app launchers".

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
On the image i see outlook.com below dropbox below google mail and finally at the very bottom i see icon for mail calendar files people and settings

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Unless they came up with one in the last week, iPhones (any iOS device for that matter) don't have file managers. Although I disagree with the generalization as being too simplistic, iPhones "are just app launchers".

I have to redo again

U received that email yesterday at 7:20 pm.
It says: "no matter which email services you use, outlook app lets you get more done"
Manage everything from outlook.
The outlook app works great with gmail, as well as most work accounts. You can quickly find and send attachments and check your calendars, all from one place.

I see invthe image : outlook.com, dropbox, google mail, add account and at the bery bottom; mail, calendar, file, people and settings

I can't download it cause my phone is on airplane mode. No way to try till i get back to a better wifi

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm on a Z30 currently, but I've used a Lumia 822 and Lumia 521 in the past and there were several things I appreciated about the Windows Mobile experience.

I'm seriously considering trying out a Lumia 950 because, Microsoft is at least continuing to develop and support the OS and I think it has more of a future than BB10.

Android and iOS have their benefits, but they're too mainstream for me. The contrarian in me wants to be different.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm on a Z30 currently, but I've used a Lumia 822 and Lumia 521 in the past and there were several things I appreciated about the Windows Mobile experience.

I'm seriously considering trying out a Lumia 950 because, Microsoft is at least continuing to develop and support the OS and I think it has more of a future than BB10.

Android and iOS have their benefits, but they're too mainstream for me. The contrarian in me wants to be different.
I would suggest giving the 950 a try, especially since you can get it for a nice price now in a good amount of places.

vhl71

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
I moved to Lumia 950 from blackberry.. Still have my android dtek60 as well. I might sell that and keep the Lumia 950 as I really like the Windows UI compared to android. Give 950 a try and you might like it.

Sent from mTalk

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I moved to Lumia 950 from blackberry.. Still have my android dtek60 as well. I might sell that and keep the Lumia 950 as I really like the Windows UI compared to android. Give 950 a try and you might like it.

Sent from mTalk
Welcome aboard. Do tell, how is that DTEK60? I have the "sister ship" Idol 4S and I've wondered how it stacks up to the BlackBerry. Particularly the camera.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

vhl71

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Welcome aboard. Do tell, how is that DTEK60? I have the "sister ship" Idol 4S and I've wondered how it stacks up to the BlackBerry. Particularly the camera.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

It's a great phone i just dont like android. The bb version of android ia almost stock and has a lot of good things like productivity tab, swipe shortcuts and hub. If you like android go and get a dtek60.

Hardware wise It's identical to alcatel oiol 4s

Sent from mTalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucasmorth