Any ideas as to why there is lag after exiting Windows Central?

BrandonTeoh

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,I have a issue with the start screen after exiting Windows Central app. The tiles seem to loose frame rates after returning to the start screen from the windows central app.

The lag occurs on both two column and three column start layouts. Why does this happening?

My phone specs: Lumia 720, Windows Phone 8.1 with Cyan.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't occur in my L1020 from Windows Central App, but it occasionally happens when I exit a more memory intensive app (such as certain chat apps). I suspect it's because I've got a LOT of tiles pinned to my start screen (176 tiles to be exact, mostly in live folders).

How many tiles do you have pinned? and is the lag only isolated to the Windows Central App?

BrandonTeoh

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't occur in my L1020 from Windows Central App, but it occasionally happens when I exit a more memory intensive app (such as certain chat apps). I suspect it's because I've got a LOT of tiles pinned to my start screen (176 tiles to be exact, mostly in live folders).

How many tiles do you have pinned? and is the lag only isolated to the Windows Central App?

If I place the app in an area where there is a lot of tiles for example, it is being surrounded by a lot of medium tiles, then it will lag very badly.
But if I place it at the very bottom of the screen, it didn't lag as much.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
If I place the app in an area where there is a lot of tiles for example, it is being surrounded by a lot of medium tiles, then it will lag very badly.
But if I place it at the very bottom of the screen, it didn't lag as much.

It's tile-related then. The more tiles that are in the display (those that you can see at any given moment), the more resources the phone would need to maintain them, especially the animations. You may want to designate "Live Folders" for some of your tiles, effectively reducing the number of tiles pinned - the folders may act as a buffer where the phone does not need to actively maintain them if the tiles are in a folder compared to when they are just on the bare start screen. This is probably the reason why I'm able to pin 177 (added another one yesterday) tiles with almost no lags/issues - I've got most of them in just 17 Live Folders.

BrandonTeoh

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
It's tile-related then. The more tiles that are in the display (those that you can see at any given moment), the more resources the phone would need to maintain them, especially the animations. You may want to designate "Live Folders" for some of your tiles, effectively reducing the number of tiles pinned - the folders may act as a buffer where the phone does not need to actively maintain them if the tiles are in a folder compared to when they are just on the bare start screen. This is probably the reason why I'm able to pin 177 (added another one yesterday) tiles with almost no lags/issues - I've got most of them in just 17 Live Folders.

I got Windows Phone 8.1.1 with Cyan before and with 2 or more live folders, the start screen got the "resuming..." screen (which it shouldn't) and caused a lot of issues with my phone. The Windows Phone Central app makes the start screen animation too laggy.

Now I am holding off the 8.1.1 update until Lumia Demin is out.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I got Windows Phone 8.1.1 with Cyan before and with 2 or more live folders, the start screen got the "resuming..." screen (which it shouldn't) and caused a lot of issues with my phone. The Windows Phone Central app makes the start screen animation too laggy.

Now I am holding off the 8.1.1 update until Lumia Demin is out.

Alright, but here's one final question: are you, by chance, using either the Live Lock Screen BETA or the Tetra lockscreen apps from Microsoft as your Lock Screen App, and did you set a passcode for your phone? These two (used with a passcode) are common suspects for the "Resuming" issue and delays in the responsiveness of the Start Screen.

BrandonTeoh

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Alright, but here's one final question: are you, by chance, using either the Live Lock Screen BETA or the Tetra lockscreen apps from Microsoft as your Lock Screen App, and did you set a passcode for your phone? These two (used with a passcode) are common suspects for the "Resuming" issue and delays in the responsiveness of the Start Screen.

I don't use any lock screen apps but I do set a passcode to my phone. So far I didn't encounter the "Resuming..." screen yet on Windows Phone 8.1, but I do encountered it when I updated to Windows Phone 8.1.1 (regardless I have Lumia Black or Cyan)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)