Anyone bailing for the iPhone 6 or 6+?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I disagree with this. I try to be pragmatic sometimes:) Microsoft knows they will not stop sales of iPad, just too many people jumping over the cliff after another follower. So if iPad sales will not stop, then those people will need something for presentations/documentations. If Office wasn't ported, then Apple would make their own software or those users on Google Docs would grow. Either case, it would eliminate the need for Office and dry up a lucrative Microsoft revenue generator.

So Microsoft is smart by porting Office to iPad. It shuts down Apple's plan of getting into document creation and mitigates Google Docs while at the same time increases user base for Office. Now on the flip side, I've thought about Cortana and I don't see any revenue protecting reason to give up Cortana.

I agree. I know that we sometimes question Microsoft's decisions, but I think they are correct in providing Office for iOS & Android. They probably calculated that not providing it would tend to pull users away from Office more than bring them to WP/Windows tablets. There are alternatives to Office. They're not nearly as functional, but they would suffice in a lot of cases.

kencaz

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I disagree with this. I try to be pragmatic sometimes:) Microsoft knows they will not stop sales of iPad, just too many people jumping over the cliff after another follower. So if iPad sales will not stop, then those people will need something for presentations/documentations. If Office wasn't ported, then Apple would make their own software or those users on Google Docs would grow. Either case, it would eliminate the need for Office and dry up a lucrative Microsoft revenue generator.

So Microsoft is smart by porting Office to iPad. It shuts down Apple's plan of getting into document creation and mitigates Google Docs while at the same time increases user base for Office. Now on the flip side, I've thought about Cortana and I don't see any revenue protecting reason to give up Cortana.

For personal use yes, however, in the Enterprise Market (Which Apple is wanting a piece of with the Ipad). Not having Office ported to Ipad would be a deal breaker for business and they would most certainly opt for a Surface 2 or Pro which has office pre installed which still most every business is using. I really don't see apple coming up with anything comparable to Office. But I know that it makes more business sense for MS...

theetommyt

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm bailing. I'll be keeping an eye on WP still but it doesn't offer what I fully need. Upside of trying WP is that I went in 100% with MS services instead of Google and prefer MS. Happy that MS supports other OS.

carlos12001

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Any Android enthusiast or PC gamer will generally engage in specs-discussions. Those are large groups. Millions of people.

The entire Android marketing industry is built around spec sheet optimization. That wouldn't be the case if it wasn't effective. Even here at WPC you can see, on a daily basis, how the continual drive for higher camera MP counts, despite having long surpassed the point where they matter (for smartphones) has a strong influence on buying decisions.

Specs are not the only way to market hardware, but they are the prefered choice for most hardware companies.

Those two you mentioned are a small percent of the world population. No average consumer walks into a phone store and starts asking about ghz and megapixels. Screen size? Yes, type of screen? No. Resolution? As long as it looks good to them they don't care about numbers. Here on wpc, who's asking for more megapixels? I don't see anyone, besides, wpc is a VERY SMALL percentage of the phone market. I could name 10 family members and friends off the top of my head, that couldn't tell me anything about the specs of their smart phone. They're average consumers.

kencaz

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm bailing. I'll be keeping an eye on WP still but it doesn't offer what I fully need. Upside of trying WP is that I went in 100% with MS services instead of Google and prefer MS. Happy that MS supports other OS.

Curious what made you switch back? Is it the App Gap? Hardware? What WP do you currently have and what service?

carlos12001

May 1, 2014
Visit site

Apple has they're own software-iWork suite.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Not having Office ported to Ipad would be a deal breaker for business and they would most certainly opt for a Surface 2 or Pro which has office pre installed which still most every business is using.

That's one of the most incorrect and baseless statements I think I've ever heard.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Because: "Wow, I really need Office on my iPad and it's not available, I'd better go buy a Surface!" said no one, ever.

Long before Office was available on the iPad there were many, many apps which offered Office file compatibility (including Apple's own iWork suite). If someone needed a tablet prior to Office on the iPad, they'd just use an iPad and one of those apps.

kencaz

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Because: "Wow, I really need Office on my iPad and it's not available, I'd better go buy a Surface!" said no one, ever.

Long before Office was available on the iPad there were many, many apps which offered Office file compatibility (including Apple's own iWork suite). If someone needed a tablet prior to Office on the iPad, they'd just use an iPad and one of those apps.

Yep, I feel the same way running windows and Windows Phone, but I don't need a knock off app because it's the original. You can say that with anything... And I was referring to Enterprise. I don't know of to many businesses using Open source Office or iWork.

carlson03

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Not giving up on Windows phone...os just runs way too well, could care less about the "lack of apps" argument....if I did bail, would be for Android, hate how restricted you are with iphone

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
And I was referring to Enterprise. I don't know of to many businesses using Open source Office or iWork.

I'm referring to enterprise as well. Like the one in which I work, where we've been supporting iPads for use by our corporate management and sales forces - with and without Office for iPad - for years.

kencaz

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm referring to enterprise as well. Like the one in which I work, where we've been supporting iPads for use by our corporate management and sales forces - with and without Office for iPad - for years.

Sure you can have a company running all Macs, but certainly not the norm. And if it were not for MS providing Office on that platform communication and data sharing would be painful with most companies that are all Windows based. In Engineering Macs non existent. Accounting, most all PC based. Even movie CGI is mostly PC or Linux based. Apple is just a Mobile platform company for the everyday consumer. I would not take Apple seriously for my business...

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Sure you can have a company running all Macs, but certainly not the norm ... I would not take Apple seriously for my business...

You evidently don't take reading very seriously either: I never said my company is running on all Macs, I simply said that we support iPads for our travelling users and corporate staff and have been doing so since before Office was available for the iPad.

In fact, we're largely a Microsoft shop. We have three VMWare hosts with a shared SAN running 15 (I think, I might be off) WIndows servers in VMs. We have an additional three hardware-based servers and 1 hardware-based Linux server. Our desktops are all running Windows 7 with a few (mine included) running Windows 8, and they're all running Office 2010 (we haven't yet made the jump to Office 2013). We host our own Exchange server and our own SharePoint servers.

This all goes well beyond my point in criticizing your comment, which was that even in an all Microsoft shop, had Microsoft not ported Office to the iPad, it would not have been a deal breaker. There are enough Office-compatible options on the iPad to keep enterprise users happy on an iPad without it. Especially if the enterprise users are creating content on their Windows-based desktop/laptop, and using the tablet for presentations and minor edits.

kencaz

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
You evidently don't take reading very seriously either: I never said my company is running on all Macs, I simply said that we support iPads for our travelling users and corporate staff and have been doing so since before Office was available for the iPad.

In fact, we're largely a Microsoft shop. We have three VMWare hosts with a shared SAN running 15 (I think, I might be off) WIndows servers in VMs. We have an additional three hardware-based servers and 1 hardware-based Linux server. Our desktops are all running Windows 7 with a few (mine included) running Windows 8, and they're all running Office 2010 (we haven't yet made the jump to Office 2013). We host our own Exchange server and our own SharePoint servers.

This all goes well beyond my point in criticizing your comment, which was that even in an all Microsoft shop, had Microsoft not ported Office to the iPad, it would not have been a deal breaker. There are enough Office-compatible options on the iPad to keep enterprise users happy on an iPad without it. Especially if the enterprise users are creating content on their Windows-based desktop/laptop, and using the tablet for presentations and minor edits.

Well, your free to do what ever you like with whatever hardware you see fit if it fits your needs. I just don't get why people suffer with an OS that does not support most of their needs and try so hard to make something work that is inadequate, simply because of a brand name status symbol.

I tend to choose hardware and software that get work done not try to fit my work around my hardware. Does not make sense and with that I am done with this conversation...

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Those two you mentioned are a small percent of the world population. No average consumer walks into a phone store and starts asking about ghz and megapixels. Screen size? Yes, type of screen? No. Resolution? As long as it looks good to them they don't care about numbers. Here on wpc, who's asking for more megapixels? I don't see anyone, besides, wpc is a VERY SMALL percentage of the phone market. I could name 10 family members and friends off the top of my head, that couldn't tell me anything about the specs of their smart phone. They're average consumers.

You're still missing the point. I never said the average consumer walks into a store asking about specs. They walk into a store asking for advice, and what kind of advice they get will depend on the person behind the counter... who is likely to care about specs.

It also doesn't matter how small that group of tech enthusiasts is. You might as well count 100 friends and family members off the top of your head, who have no interest in specs. Again, it doesn't matter. As long as those 100 people know one tech enthusiast they consider knowledgeable and worthy of asking for advice (maybe you), then specs do matter for all of those 100 people, not directly, but indirectly. I'd say almost everyone here at WPC is that one person for at least some folks. That doesn't mean everyone at WPC is solely specs driven, but almost anyone at WPC will consider specs more important than the average consumer does, and that is how specs come to play a role in almost everyone's purchasing decisions.

I hope that is now clear.

In regard to the MP craze, you need only look at the threads where the 830's camera is compared to other phones (iPhone, L920, etc). MP count is still the primary criteria through which people conclude which camera is better and which is worse. I won't pick out anyone's post specifically, but it's not hard to find them.

Anyway, for me the iPhone has become a lot more interesting than it was previously, primarily due to screen size. If WP8.1 hadn't come out, then I'd probably be switching, but as it is, WP has me for a while longer. I'm looking forward to seeing how both OSes develop going forward.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Well, your free to do what ever you like with whatever hardware you see fit if it fits your needs. I just don't get why people suffer with an OS that does not support most of their needs and try so hard to make something work that is inadequate, simply because of a brand name status symbol.

I tend to choose hardware and software that get work done not try to fit my work around my hardware. Does not make sense and with that I am done with this conversation...

Because it does meet their needs and they don't use their tablets for the same things they use their laptops/desktops for would be my guess.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Specs or no specs....apple will probably more this year than ms last three ! So what ever it is that apples doing .....must be doing it right! Check every news,tech site! Apple has lines outside for there new phones! .....no line at ms stores I guarantee no matter what comes out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)