Anyone bailing for the iPhone 6 or 6+?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I've always been a PC guy, but both of my roommates are ardent musicians. They use Pro Tools piped through a Mac for all of their recording/production needs, and everyone else in the music industry seems to do so as well. There are some things that Macs do really well, and you really can't deny that.

Check out the gear used by Alex Lifeson, the guitarist from Rush. http://www.rush.com/alex-test-post/

He uses Mac and PC.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I've always been a PC guy, but both of my roommates are ardent musicians. They use Pro Tools piped through a Mac for all of their recording/production needs, and everyone else in the music industry seems to do so as well. There are some things that Macs do really well, and you really can't deny that.

Many years ago Mac was often used for word processing/publishing as it was known to be superior to PCs for that, but I don't think it holds that edge anymore.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

Yes, and everyone at apple who made auto tune popular should be kicked in the tiddly winks a thousand times by a lead footed man. I faintly remember a time when none of that nonsense was needed to be a rock star. Now all you hear is auto tune warble and is sounds effing stupid.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

I'm a musician myself, and a PC guy. Pro Tools runs perfectly on PC, as does my preference; Cakewalk Sonar. I've been a musician for 30+ years, grew up around musicians and recording artists, and have never known any to use Macs. Jus' sayin.. And I'm not saying there aren't those who do use Macs, just never met any of them myself. I honestly don't think real recording artists care which platform it is, but that the application works.

With that said though, and in attempt to steer this thread back on course, I've been seriously considering adding the iPhone 6 Plus to my family plan because I really miss some apps like Garage Band. I'll still have my 1520 on my main line.. and then I'll have something fun to play with while I (we) wait for Microsoft to come out with their next big thing... If they ever do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Isn't it amazing that even after the Galaxy Note and 1520 big phone weren't really in. Then Apple drops a 6+ and its a big deal. I s swear Apple is a cult. Haha...smh.

Erik Read

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
In a word...yes I am bailing from WP and back to Apple.
Am I really happy about...not really.
I have a Surface Pro (1st gen) and a MacBook Pro. I have a Lumia 1020 and and iPad 3. I am in no way a fan boy of either. Both are good both are bad.
My last iPhone was the 4s which I happily handed down to my wife when I picked up my 720.
I went from 720 to 920 and then 1020 and I love the camera. I have been waiting for a new flagship WP. I was hoping the HTC 1 might be it but when will it come to AT&T and will they support it (from reading on this thread it appears their track record on WP support is shoddy at best)?
What got me to thinking was my wife's new iPhone. I stood in line for about 20 minutes to get her one. I took it home and set it up for her. I began to remember all of the apps (ok...well 2) that are available on her phone that are not (and probably not going to be) available on WP anytime soon. They are SiriusXM and TAGG. TAGG is the GPS tracker app for my dog. I also noticed how much more polished her Facebook app is than the WP version. I then started reading about ApplePay. Yes I know that WP/Android have had NFC for years now but neither has the clout to make it a reality. What I realized is that even if the phone is last year's tech (relatively speaking) it has the clout of Apple behind it. That clout gets accessories (try finding a wired headphone with mic that isn't iPhone ready in a smallish town outside of Amazon), first dibs on apps as well as the most polished apps first.
I really really want WP to succeed. I think it needs to succeed. I have done my part but MS takes one step forward and two steps back (IMO). The hub concept was great and the reason I like WP so much...now gone or severely handicapped in 8.1.
The XBOX music app is horrendous and not getting much better. I listen to music at work all day and the app is pitiful when it comes to doing its basic function...playing music stored on the phone.It's slow, crashes, and inexplicably changes from shuffle to not shuffle between sessions. I am not a beta tester for MS! Because XBOX music is so bad I still take my Zune.
I have tried to make due with work arounds for missing apps like tethering my laptop to my phone to use Sirius at work and trying to use TAGG's website to keep dibs on my dog. Why should I have to work around?
I do plan to check in on WP from time to time just to keep myself honest.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Isn't it amazing that even after the Galaxy Note and 1520 big phone weren't really in. Then Apple drops a 6+ and its a big deal. I s swear Apple is a cult. Haha...smh.

It's always "cult this, cult that". It couldn't possibly be because they trust Apple due to their good experiences with them. It boggles my mind why some people, and a lot of people here, seem to believe that they have to always down the competition. I'm going to paraphrase Steve Jobs here.

​"We need to get out of this mentality that for Microsoft to win, Apple has to lose."

chenhogi

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Many years ago Mac was often used for word processing/publishing as it was known to be superior to PCs for that, but I don't think it holds that edge anymore.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

Haha, brilliant signature!

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
inb4: the touch-ID is a gimmick, but people will buy into this thinking its some secure way to secure your stuff. meh

Money is probably people's greatest asset and they like to protect it, a lot more than their phones.

ATMs use pin numbers, not touch-ID. Now imagine that, ATMs using touch-ID. I can see the headlines now

EXTRA EXTRA Mobsters targeting rich people's fingers.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
inb4: the touch-ID is a gimmick, but people will buy into this thinking its some secure way to secure your stuff. meh

Money is probably people's greatest asset and they like to protect it, a lot more than their phones.

ATMs use pin numbers, not touch-ID. Now imagine that, ATMs using touch-ID. I can see the headlines now

EXTRA EXTRA Mobsters targeting rich people's fingers.

I myself being an Android supporter, having used iPhone and Windows Phone am willing to admit that TouchID is *NOT* a gimmick.

The short story is that you should never keep a lot of valuable information on your mobile, if TouchID can be cracked so can your 4 digit passcode or password.

What makes TouchID great is that if you colleagues, friends or children you can easily unlock the phone for them rather than hiding your password while typing infront of them.

It's not a gimmick, it's one of the best implemented features of the iPhone.

wpfan86

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The "cult" comment in the context of the 6Plus is absolutely warranted. iPhone fans and tech reviewers didn't criticize the Note or the 1520 because they didn't trust the phones' quality. They criticized the phones claiming they were huge, unwieldy monstrosities that weren't practical and looked stupid. Now, the 6Plus has virtually the same physical specs and suddenly a 6"+ screen is beautiful and "not that big".

Apple fans poked fun at the big phone people for the past 2 years, now the big phone people are pointing out the hilarious hypocrisy.

Bodeanicus

Banned
Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
Actually, fingerprint scanners ARE old technology, judgeing by your response you were probably not around in the early 90s to have one on your laptop computer. And they are no longer there because they were and are unreliable. My Father's IP5 scanner worked only about 40% of the time, and got so annoying that it's shut off. Then theres 64 bit. Yes, it could be a good feature if ANY PROGRAMS or APPS actually used it. That's a smoke and mirrors spec by apple to make you think your getting a super fast phone, when my "un revoloutionary", un hip in the eyes of holywood (god help me), nokia windows phone is just as fast and smooth as anything released from the great minds at Cupertino.

Next up, REALLY? You buy a phone because HOLYWOOD thinks their cool? Really? that is the lamest most ******'ish reason to buy anything I have ever heard.

That's too funny! I almost snorted beer out my nose when I read that. ha ha ha.

I agree with the above. We had NFC for ages, but lordy lordy look was is "new and revoloutionary" in the land of the turtle neck, NFC. Everyone else stole that idea 2 years ago from apple....ha ha ha. I am going to sell black turtle necks with apple logos on them for 150 a piece because they have a built in new revolutionary neck warmer.

Which Windows Phone has a fingerprint scanner, again? Which stores use Microsoft's NFC?

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Which Windows Phone has a fingerprint scanner, again? Which stores use Microsoft's NFC?
No windows phone has a fingerprint scanner, that is a crap feature anyway. My son and my dad both have it shut off as it never works. And no stores anywhere I have visited have any nfc payment options, I have been to Montreal, Orlando, Tampa, Toronto Halifax and other places. Not once did i see any sort. So. Your point?

Not leaving but I am buying one just because I'm a phone junkie and have never owned one

Like myself. I own 3 android phones, and had a bunch of windows phones now. I owned an iPhone 4 and sold it after 5 months. Could not handle the fisher price operating system.

Last edited by a moderator:

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
No windows phone has a fingerprint scanner, that is a crap feature anyway. My son and my dad both have it shut off as it never works. And no stores anywhere I have visited have any nfc payment options, I have been to Montreal, Orlando, Tampa, Toronto Halifax and other places. Not once did i see any sort. So. Your point?

Interesting. How come no expert has said yet that the TouchID doesn't work exactly?

You may not have seen NFC payment options, but they exist nonetheless.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Like myself. I own 3 android phones, and had a bunch of windows phones now. I owned an iPhone 4 and sold it after 5 months. Could not handle the fisher price operating system.
With Microsoft bringing BING NEWS to apple no reason not to give it a spin. They have good resale value or ill just give it to my daughter when/if I get sick of it. Cortana will stay with me in my backpack 🎒.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb