Anyone else think Smartwatches are not useful?

smoheath

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Ever since the first pebble watch, galaxy gear, and other early smart watches I've thought they were pretty useless and gimmicky. I just thought to myself, "Am I so inundated with notifications that I need them on my wrist?" The answer, at least for me, is no.

I really hope that smart watches are just a passing fad. But now with the Apple watch, I'm worried that it won't be a fad. Because we know one thing about Apple fans, they will buy almost anything with an Apple logo. But I just hope it doesn't take off.

I'm not trying to dog on anyone who thinks that smart watches are the new best thing. I just kind of wanted to get a general consensus on what people think of them.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I'm far from inundated with notifications, which is why I want a Windows-compatible smartwatch - so I have an alternative method of checking the few notifications that do arrive.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I can think of a lot of times where a smartwatch comes in handy.. I don't mind seeing notifications, checking the time, getting more precise stats on sport activity (even only for the sake of curiosity of how many steps you do lol). I think of it as a normal watch, but just better for the same price as some "premium" thing that just looks nice and doesn't do anything else than that.
And yeah controlling your phone's camera with the watch.. :)

Anyways, that's pretty much it. I don't feel the need for talking to my watch and posting stuff on twitter, or even browsing the pictures lol.. But hey doesn't hurt to have features.

mparkkon

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
For starters the Samsung smart watches look like large tech toys. Apple watches look elegant but would large masses accept recharging batteries daily or tiny screen (however apple UI is quite good for that size)? I doubt that the 1st-2nd generation watches will make it, but what will happen in 5th generation is hard to say. The currently sold generation is more of a technological toy and for high tech aficionados. I'll admit that smart watch is cool, but not worth the money or hassle (at least for me). At the moment the technology buzz is in smart watches an that may fade away very fast (remember when 3D was the sale pitch in TV's)

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I can see the fitness side of it....

Or maybe something radical, like checking the time.

Otherwise... nah. Not my thing. By the way- these smartwatches really are not selling as well as you would think. There is a race among manufacturers to not fall behind anything tech related anymore after so many fell behind on Tablet sales. I see this as a "niche" that will find a few tools that the users actually want and will then sell decently after they get their market right. It seems the fitness and social media crowds like the idea, the rest of us ain't that interested.

k72

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
I myself do not have a need for them. The few people I see with them don't seem to actually use them, and are usually adjusting them or talking about charging the battery. I find it amusing that we have the huge phone screens so now we have the tiny watch screens. I'll just stick with my 4 inch phone screen.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I find it amusing that we have the huge phone screens so now we have the tiny watch screens.

That truly is kinda funny.... I never even thought of it.

"I want a 5.5"-6.0" screen on my Hero device!! Can't play games or watch my favorite You Tube video of funny cats on anything smaller!! But I sure love this .0003" app window for my Facebook posting sitting on my wrist!!"

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Someone could design a smartwatch the size of Flavor Flav's watch.
6fe8e6643114de508259445bfc33fea7.jpg

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I don't have a opinion....just hold and wait what the future will bring us, i am from the generation who also said that why should i need a cellphone ... ......

Btw sometimes i stil hate my phone and ask myself the same question....why on earth did i ever bought that thing....
When i don't answer, people are asking why.
When i don't respond on messaging they are getting worried.
And now whatsapp is trying to get internetcalling to wp.......ow please...
I use whatsapp so i don't have to speak ......

If anyone tries to say that it isnt al that bad.....
You never met my mother in law.

And now i shall wear all that neat stuff on my wrist so i never miss a message.....hm i don't think so.

Although it could be useful for to keep track of time and date, maybe as a alarm or as something which remind people to take there meds.
Just for a few basic things.
For other than that, its has no personal use for me.

So just as i said i don't have a opinion, just a couple of thoughts......

gomezz

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
A smartwatch will never be any use to me unless and until it tell the time as accurately as my cheap radio controlled Casio.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
You're in luck then - they mostly get their time from their connected device, which is usually synced to local carrier.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Pointless to me. But apparently Apples is selling out. But then again, Apple could come out with toilet paper with their logo on it, and the hipsters would buy them up.

gomezz

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
You're in luck then - they mostly get their time from their connected device, which is usually synced to local carrier.
Which is the problem as my local carrier, O2, can be a minute or so slow. I have been trying to get a definitive answer as to how these watches sync their time (eg with an internet time server during data syncing / charging?) and the manufacturers seem to be remarkably obtuse and failing to give a firm answer.

k72

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
A whole minute?!?!?
Shocking.

When I used sprint I had to set my phone to put in the time manually because the network time would regularly (well, irregularly) change times to totally random stuff, different time zones, 20 minutes off, and so on. It would be pretty lousy if that happened on a watch.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss