Anyone else's Edge broken after today's update?

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I'm writing this on IE, because my Edge browser on my GO is totally broken after today's update. Anyone else?

this is what it looks like:

Edge browser fail.png

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
What version of Edge are you on, and what is the development channel?

I am using the stable channel, version 79.0.309.71, and it is currently working fine.

I can't tell what version I'm on, on my GO. Edge works fine on my Yoga 2 Pro and Flex 15, but after Tuesday's update, it went all wonky on my GO, and even after reinstall, it's a totaly mess...

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I can't tell what version I'm on, on my GO. Edge works fine on my Yoga 2 Pro and Flex 15, but after Tuesday's update, it went all wonky on my GO, and even after reinstall, it's a totaly mess...

In Edge Chromium, click the ellipsis in the top right > Settings > About Microsoft Edge and let us know what it says under About. It may be a different development channel branch works better right now.

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
In Edge Chromium, click the ellipsis in the top right > Settings > About Microsoft Edge and let us know what it says under About. It may be a different development channel branch works better right now.

Thanks for your suggestions; I couldn't see the ellipsis in the top right corner; it was blacked out, and not visible, so I just did a full reset back to S Mode, and everything works now. Thanks.

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
If you upgrade from S mode to Windows 10 Pro, and then install Edge Chromium, does it happen again?

I'm going to leave it back in S mode for a while; I'm interested to see if I can get better performance out of this unit. Doing very basic daily work: a few Edge tabs open, Spotify playing some music, Whatsapp open, and Word doc or 2 and Teams running drains almost all my memory and CPU, and my music starts sputtering, and my Bluetooth connection to my speaker goes in and out, and everything gets super sluggish...

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to leave it back in S mode for a while; I'm interested to see if I can get better performance out of this unit. Doing very basic daily work: a few Edge tabs open, Spotify playing some music, Whatsapp open, and Word doc or 2 and Teams running drains almost all my memory and CPU, and my music starts sputtering, and my Bluetooth connection to my speaker goes in and out, and everything gets super sluggish...

That's not good. I guess based on that a Surface Go would act the same way for my needs. It may be that you are just pushing it too hard and that means no resources which in turn means your browser performance is very sluggish?

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Yes...don't buy a tablet that has less RAM than your phone.

So far, running my GO is S mode has been ok; a bit better battery life, and Edge now works. The problem now is that my Windows Update is goofed up. I've tried everything - running the troubleshooter, and still I get this error. Don't know how to fix this:
Failed Windows Update.png

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Yes...don't buy a tablet that has less RAM than your phone.

So far, running my GO is S mode has been ok; a bit better battery life, and Edge now works. The problem now is that my Windows Update is goofed up. I've tried everything - running the troubleshooter, and still I get this error. Don't know how to fix this:
View attachment 141867

I believe this is because of MS, not you. As you are running in S mode you are not able to install this update. The tool only works in full Windows mode.

Arloed

Nov 25, 2019
Visit site
I'm going to go away it again in S mode for a while; I'm involved to see if I can get higher performance out of this unit. Doing very simple every day work: a few Edge tabs open, Spotify taking part in some music, Whatsapp open, and Word doc or 2 and Teams jogging drains nearly all my memory and CPU, and my tune begins sputtering, and my Bluetooth connection to my speaker goes in and out, and the whole lot receives excellent sluggish...

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to go away it again in S mode for a while; I'm involved to see if I can get higher performance out of this unit. Doing very simple every day work: a few Edge tabs open, Spotify taking part in some music, Whatsapp open, and Word doc or 2 and Teams jogging drains nearly all my memory and CPU, and my tune begins sputtering, and my Bluetooth connection to my speaker goes in and out, and the whole lot receives excellent sluggish...

It seems that this is simply because the Surface Go (if that is what you are using) simply doesn't have the CPU power to allow you to do your usual work tasks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkilDS