Anyone get MMS to work with Nokia 920 on FIDO?

kittshelby

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I got a first batch Nokia 920 from Rogers; I'm pretty sure it's unlocked since it's working on Fido right now. Internet sharing is working, but I can't get MMS to work. Has anyone gotten their 920 to work on Fido?

I'm using the $25 text&call plan by the way, so no LTE/data.

Andrew Wilson

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Not true, you don't need an MMS plan to send MMS. I have the exact same plan as the OP on Fido and can send MMS.

Weirdly enough, remove all APN settings and all MMS settings (put the phone back at stock) and everything will work properly. You might need to do a factory reset afterwards, but I didn't have to.

kittshelby

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Not true, you don't need an MMS plan to send MMS. I have the exact same plan as the OP on Fido and can send MMS.

Weirdly enough, remove all APN settings and all MMS settings (put the phone back at stock) and everything will work properly. You might need to do a factory reset afterwards, but I didn't have to.

But even before I added any MMS APN's, the MMS didn't work.

kittshelby

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Remove all your MMS settings, it should work.

By remove all MMS settings, do you mean delete the MMS APN settings? Cause I already did that. Or do you mean something else? Please help, I really need MMS to work.

Or maybe can you tell me what the defaut settings for MMS are? Thanks!

Last edited:

onlineharvest

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Because FIDO operates on the Rogers network, I've read that by leaving the MMS setting default it should work. In my case, MMS works fine using it on Virgin Mobile (which operates on the BELL network), so you shouldn't have an issue - but I had to put in custom MMS APN settings.

onlineharvest

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
By remove all MMS settings, do you mean delete the MMS APN settings? Cause I already did that. Or do you mean something else? Please help, I really need MMS to work.

Or maybe can you tell me what the defaut settings for MMS are? Thanks!
That's what he means by default. If you manually added any setting, remove them, since it is a Rogers flashed ROM, its likely to work as is out the of the box.
If not, then more troubleshooting. But try that first.

kittshelby

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I deleted the MMS APN. But it still doesn't work. I'm going to try to reset the general Messaging (SMS) settings back to default. Can someone tell me what the default settings in Messaging was? "Text message backup", "Use Facebook Chat", "SMS Delivery confirmation", "MMS delivery confirmation", "Send MMS acknowledgement", "Group Chat". Those are the settings in Messaging. Can someone tell me the defaults for these. Thanks!

PS: I'm using the $25 text&chat plan. I have unlimited texting and MMS. But I don't have data.

KillaRizzay

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Here's my 920's default settings (Rogers):

Text Message Backup - On
Chat Backup - On
Use Facebook Chat - On
SMS Delivery Confirmation - Off
MMS Delivery Confirmation - Off
Send MMS Acknowlegement - On
Group Text - Off

onlineharvest

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I deleted the MMS APN. But it still doesn't work. I'm going to try to reset the general Messaging (SMS) settings back to default. Can someone tell me what the default settings in Messaging was? "Text message backup", "Use Facebook Chat", "SMS Delivery confirmation", "MMS delivery confirmation", "Send MMS acknowledgement", "Group Chat". Those are the settings in Messaging. Can someone tell me the defaults for these. Thanks!

PS: I'm using the $25 text&chat plan. I have unlimited texting and MMS. But I don't have data.

Quick call to FIDO to see if MMS messages are not allowed/disabled when using that plan? Probably not, but no sense trying to figure out something if the carrier is blocking it.

o4komodo

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Right, I forgot about the 50 cent charge from Fido with a non mms-ad-on.
Sorry about that!

You need to enter the correct apn settings for MMS as well as potentially the data/wireless apn.
It's usually...
internet.fido.ca
and
mms.fido.ca

user name is often...
fido

password is often...
fido

edit: on my old unlocked-international-Nokia-N8 I was unable to send MMS when connected with the rogers APN.
There were rare occasions where it send, but on the Edge network as opposed to 3G or "3.5G" as the phone displayed.

Currently my settings on my temporary Galaxy Ace are (and these are the same settings on ALL my phones, been with Fido for 8-9 years):
Name:
Fido Internet
APN:
internet.fido.ca
Proxy:
Not set
Port:
Not set
User name:
Not set
Password:
Not set
Server:
Not set
MMSC:
http://mms.fido.ca
MMS proxy:
MMS port:
MCC:
Authentication type:
Not set
APN type:
Internet + mms

Granted this is on an Android device. I've only ever used Symbian (and this is my first Android).

o4komodo

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I'll be receiving my international-unlocked-L920 on Wednesday or Thursday. I'll post an update once the phone comes, if you're still having issues.

kittshelby

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I'll be receiving my international-unlocked-L920 on Wednesday or Thursday. I'll post an update once the phone comes, if you're still having issues.

Yes I would much appreciate it. Thanks. I will be heading down to a Fido store tomorrow to see if they can help me solve this problem. I'll post an update if I get it to work.

o4komodo

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Yes I would much appreciate it. Thanks. I will be heading down to a Fido store tomorrow to see if they can help me solve this problem. I'll post an update if I get it to work.
Did you get your issue solved? I should get my phone tomorrow. It's arrived in Windsor but hasn't stated it departed yet [since 1pm]

kittshelby

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Did you get your issue solved? I should get my phone tomorrow. It's arrived in Windsor but hasn't stated it departed yet [since 1pm]

I'm really busy this week so haven't gone to Fido yet. I'll go sometime next week and update you then. Please let me know if MMS works for your 920 when you get it and how. Thanks

o4komodo

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Buddy didn't let the UPS guy in... so I missed the delivery.
Going to try again tomorrow--I work 1-9:30 so hopefully one of my roommates will get it for me this time. Bastards. Made me wait 9 hours for nothing.

o4komodo

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Got my L920 today. So far the highest network I've been able to hit is HSDPA. Most of the time I'm on 3G. Have yet to see LTE.
Upon inserting my sim, there were two options I've noticed in the apn settings.
Fido 3G and Fido LTE.
Here is where you can add and edit APNs. I tried, and you cannot edit existing APNs.

I tried adding my own APN+MMS settings... but cannot send MMS. Using either the provided Fido 3G or Fido LTE is fine though.

dislal

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
those settings are working for me:

device: rogers lumia 920

APN: Fido-core-appl1.apn
Username: Blank
Password: Blank
Wap Gateway: 205.151.11.13
Wap gateway port: 80
MMSC (url): http://mms.fido.ca
MMSC port: 80