Anyone using a Lumia 950/XL with Vodafone UK?

dowland

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
Hi there,

Just wondering if there is anyone here using a Lumia 950 or 950XL with Vodafone UK. I preordered mine from the microsoftstore.co.uk and so far have been pretty happy with it. However, I do not seem to be able to send MMS messages from the phone. I can use Mobile data no problem, and can receive MMS but cannot send.

When I put my sim in the Lumia, I got a text from Vodafone saying that my device does not support automatic settings updates so I would have to manually configure the APN's to continue to use Data and MMS. After lots of searching I found settings on the internet (Vodafone do not list them on the support pages for the 950 - yet).

Originally I couldn't receive MMS messages, they came through, but with a download link, and clicking on that did nothing. On Tues night last week the phone was updated to 10586.29, and having had some issues with the phone getting really hot when idle I did a factory reset. Restored my settings and got the same issue, so did another reset and this time started fresh with no restore. Since then all has been fine with the heat, and it appeared to coincide with me being able to received text messages - so not sure if the update was related or not.

I can take the sim out and put it in my old Nokia E7 and can send and receive MMS fine. I've spoken to Vodafone and they confirmed that the settings for APN are correct, and told me to talk to Microsoft. Microsoft Support of course told me to speak to Vodafone but after I explained all of the above decided the best thing to do would be for me to send the Lumia to a Microsoft Service point for investigation. I don't really want to have to be without the phone and to be honest not confident they'll recreate the issue without my sim (but who knows)...

(I did find a note somewhere suggesting that in order to send MMS Mobile Data has to be on BUT WIFI HAS to OFF. I've tried that but no luck. Very surprised that this would have to be the case as I never had to do that with my Nokia E7 or my Nokia Communicators before that... I could have wifi on and mobile data not turned on can could still send and receive MMS).

So, anyone else using a 950 on Vodafone, and if so do you have any issues with MMS and or internet? If no issues, could you confirm your APN settings and anything else you might have done to get this working please?

Many thanks

Naiboss

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
I appear to be having exactly the same issue. Vodafone have been useless and the best that they could vaguely suggest is that it's an issue with Windows 10 mobile :-(

thefreeronnies

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm on Vodafone UK with a Lumia 950XL. I can receive MMS but not send. I'm not sure if this is because the pictures have large file sizes - there doesn't seem to be an offer or option to make them smaller to send.

Psionic085

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Search for Vodafone MMS settings on google, you have to enter them manually. Vodafone has never applied MMS setting to Windows phones for some reason. Once you've entered the apn etc all works fine, personally I haven't used MMS for a long time, but I do remember it used to be irritating.

thefreeronnies

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, there are settings available although the fields listed are different to those on WM10 and the fact I can receive implies its set up correctly, leaving file sizes a possible cause.

Psionic085

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Finally got time to go and test this, 2 XLs in this household on Vodafone and mms does work for smaller file sizes, both send and receive. It appears however that the messaging app ignores the file size limit and does not compress files that are over the limit (around 300kb according to the Vodafone forums)

dowland

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
Psionic, so anything larger than 300kb won't send then? Please could you post the settings that you have working for MMS? Thanks...

mikey405

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
Hi Dowland.

I've just spent a not-very-helpful lunchtime in two Vodafone stores in Birmingham and neither of them knew what the settings were. Anyway, I finally figured out using various web sites what the settings should be - but after you make the changes it appears that you have to reload the phone (or at least I did before it worked for me). Now I can send native photos taken on my Lumia 950XL with no issues at all. (See attached .jpg for the details.)

Kind regards.

From Mike.

PS. I'm on a contract - I don't know what the settings are for PAYG.
PPS. The settings in text format: (Add a colon after the "http" in the MMSC URL setting below. The forum software thought I was posting a link...)

Profile name: Vodafone
APN: internet
Username: web
Password: web
Type of sign-in info: None
IP type: IPV4
Proxy server: 212.183.137.12
Proxy port: 8799
MMSC (URL): http//mms.vodafone.co.uk/servlets/mms
MMSC port:
Maximum MMS size (KB): 280

PPPS. The 280KB size limit was just a guess from what other people have said - It may be okay to make that bigger but 280KB works fine for me. :smile:

Attachments

• Vodafone Lumia 950 and 950XL MMS APN Settings.jpg
    Vodafone Lumia 950 and 950XL MMS APN Settings.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes