Anyone using the Windows 10 for Phones preview on their L830?

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Seriously? My Lumia 830 is every bit as stable as every other phone, Windows or otherwise, I've owned, which is to say it is 100% rock-solid and hasn't crashed or randomly rebooted even once since I bought it last October. It's running 8.10.14219.341 and I really couldn't be happier with it. Maybe you need to reset yours and start again?

If you go through the bugs thread random reboots is probably the most mentioned one. Turns out full Denim fixes it for most people, so I have to wait for that. Although with one of the Lumia 830s I owned it was happening an inordinate number of times a day and turned out to be a hardware defect.

jockopablo

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Aside from the issues already mentioned in this thread, one problem I found with 10 is my Battery Saver "Usage" feature no longer worked. It would not show the apps that were running, so I couldn't see or change which apps had permission to run in the background. When I went to the Usage screen there were simply no apps listed.

Tech King

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Anyone tried taking a video ...
Had w10 preview on my L830 and took a video... video was great but there was a problem with the audio... Static.....
so I went back to wp8.1 then got denim update shortly after that.... so I am waiting until the next w10 preview and I may try again....

cre8tivspirit

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking for some more recent feedback on using WP10 on an L830. How is it performing now with newer WP10 updates? Has it become more stable? Is it usable as a daily driver now? What are some of the bugs that still remain?

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
As I stated in another thread, WP10 still has an early beta feel to it with issues and quirkiness. Have a look at the WP10 forums for some ideas of what's going on.

I had it on my 830 for a couple of days (Latest build), but rolled back to 8.1 as it wasn't usable as a daily driver for me (I planned for that). And I wouldn't recommend anyone expect anything different. The OS is coming along nicely, but there's still a lot of work to do.

Last edited:

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Same as ShaneRay, I tested it for 3 days and then gave up and rolled back. It started fine actually and I was hopeful. However, after 2 days it started slowing down and lagging and battery life was unreliable. Most importantly a number of notifications and things don't work with the Band at the moment. Without that I may have used it longer.

Last edited:

fgaudet

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
W8.1 is still the better daily driver imho.

I've been running W10 10149 on my L830 for about a week now, and will keep it for now, even though there are major failures and everyday I think of reverting. I have not done a reset and would rather not have to, but I may try that before reverting to 8.1.

I haven't searched to solve these, they may have known workarounds of fixes :
  • email live tiles not updating with email count
  • email live tiles don't have an icon
  • Pin code unlock issue : not that rare, I had it a few times already.
  • calendar live tiles sometimes doesn't update anymore
  • PerfectThum clock live tile appears first as the icon tile before flipping to the actual live clock tile (I like this clock tile very much)
  • Weather app does not seem to update lock screen background anymore
  • Occasional lock-ups/reboot
  • Occasional app crashes
  • Battery drain seems higher
  • Can't pin OneNote, but can pin specific OneNote pages
  • Can select text in Edge, but not copy it. Seriously, what's the point? Very annoying.
  • Quiet hours in notifications is always blinking, no one knows why.
  • Occasionally, all icons in notification will blink, until next reboot.
  • Photo app is much slower to display photos, and needs to look for new photos whenever it's started, meaning you'll wait a bit before seing your new photos
  • Battery saver usage log is broken/empty
  • Many other quirks...

On the plus side :
  • Everything is generally nicer - look, design, feel
  • Feels generally fast & fluid. Generally.
  • MMS/SMS, email, phone calls all work as expected
  • New keyboard is very nice
  • Keypad on unlock screen is much nicer, not the bland grey boxes of before.
  • Notifications are much nicer, lots more functionnality there
  • New Outlook app is very nice looking, swipe actions on items is great. Still quirky and rough around the edges though...
  • New music app is nicer too
  • Lumia Camera 5 still works
  • New Phone app is very nice and works fine
  • New Map app is very nice and works fine, but you have to find it in the store first
  • All apps list is much nicer, but the search box does not keep focus - very annoying

I expect to have a trully viable and enjoyable daily driver in one or two releases. This one still has too much sand in the gears...

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Until the quiet hours bug is fixed, I can't use this build. That really is unfortunate, because it's quite nice and polished. I simply can't miss notifications, as I have three email accounts that are work related which I need notifications for.

seventeenapg

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
I have windows 10 10149 on my 830 since it came out and I am loving the new OS in every way. I do have a few small issues. At present here maps and drive do not seem to work. The new beta store is continuously trying to download them and does but they do not seem to install. Also, I cannot record videos. Other than that everything elseworks great. I am loving all of the changes and also groove music and films&videos apps are fantastic. Groove music is almost finally what it should alwayd have been. I have almost 8000 songs so I listen to music very often. Groove music is such a fantastic upgrade to the old xbox music, the new UI is very modern and looks really well. All in all 10149 will transform your 830. Windows 10 mobile will be such a well rounded OS I think a lot more people will move to Windows. I know that a few of my friends who have iphone 6 have played with the L830 with windows 10 and are going to move to the L940 when it comes out!

BiggishTuba558

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
I have a Lumia 830 and I can record videos only via Camera because Lumina Camera and Lumina Camera Beta are presenting errors with video recordings.
You can solve your problems with HERE apps updating these apps via the old Store, then uninstalling and reinstalling them from the old Store. Finally you have to disable automatic updates from Store Beta settings and never update HERE apps from the Store Beta because it causes errors.

Last edited:

EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
830 is working great on 10166 upgraded from 10149. No hard reset needed. Custom glance and lock screen backgrounds remained and everything. Pretty smooth build.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
830 is working great on 10166 upgraded from 10149. No hard reset needed. Custom glance and lock screen backgrounds remained and everything. Pretty smooth build.

Installed Win10 (build 10166) for the first time on my L830 and so far I'm liking it, seems reasonably stable yet definitely needs more polishing, kind of impressed to the point that it has reinstated some of the faith I've lost over the past few months towards MS, we'll see if it continues on an upward trend ;)

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
decided to give this another try...
everytime after a failed trial with a previous release I promise myself to stay away from it... ha

a note to Glance Screen.
after upgrade from 8.1 it was there but not functional. the phone wasn't usable after upgrade so I had to hard reset as expected. After that glance screen is gone.

When I use sysapp pusher the store reports it's already installed. It shows the option to "open" it. then it asks to restart now. After restart I can go through sysapp pusher, store and use the "open" glance screen within store app and change night mode....
cumbersome but OK since I rarely change those settings.
thanks for the tip Zulfigar!

My band seems to get most notifications.
For now I'll keep it....
But I said that before with prior builds ;)

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Decided reverting back to 8.1 was a necessity, too many issues with notifications/sounds, email and app store along with a few other "must have" features, tried my best for two days to get it working relatively decent but the road was long with no ending in sight. This was worse than a fresh install on any PC I've done, not sure if it was just me, my phone or both LOL, in the end we'll wait for a more polished/stable version before attempting it again, at least we tried.

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Reading that the quiet hours bug had been fixed, I installed the newest build. It seems that notifications are partially fixed. My problem now is that I can't set a notification sound for email or messages. Also, the live tiles for the calendar and Cortana don't work. This is after a hard reset.

EDIT: it seems I just missed the notification settings for email and messages. Also, after a reboot, the calendar tile is now working.

Last edited:

Wahadinho

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone tried who had rebooting issues with WP8.1? Is it better, worse, same?

Wondering if I should install it and try it so I can rule out software or hadrware problems...

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I installed the latest build on my 830, which is now my primary use phone. I haven't found many issues. Sometimes the start screen takes a long time to appear after a reboot. I am also having issues with a gmail account that doesn't sync and the outlook mail tile goes blank.

Overall seems to be pretty stable and works well. Makes me excited for W10

gxsaurav

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
Besides the bugs which are obvious as this is a beta build of an OS right now, how is the performance of Windows 10 mobile?

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I like it a lot. Lots of new features and the OS looks good. To someone who comes from Android or iOS it might not seem that much different at first, but for a daily user of WP8.1 almost everything is changed, and IMHO it is changed for the good. There are still a lot of bugs in the current build (10166), but I am sure they will be worked out in coming builds. If you do update to W10, make sure you use the Feedback app to help improve future builds.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flynempire