[APP] CastCenter : a new podcast manager for WP 8.1

Caldeira

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,
I've made a few windows phone apps before, but i've never put this much time or attention into one before.
I wanted to create an smart, well-designed and yet powerful podcast player and here's the result :

CastCenter for Windows Phone

It has the following features:
* quick sync thanks to server-based parsing
* background auto downloads
* global and per-podcast settings
* smart playlists
* access to the whole itunes podcast catalog
* variable playback speed
* sleep timer
* OPML import and export
* cortana support

CastCenter is free with limitations. All the features can be unlocked with a single in-app purchase.

Download the app on the Windows Phone store
CastCenter

Website
CastCenter - A Windows Phone podcaster

Screenshots

If you want more info about the app, feel free to ask!

conorn

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I've been using this for a couple of weeks now and I'm hooked. Basics of the app are good. Gets better with each release and dev is both responsive and receptive. Give it a go. Give feedback.

Desynthesis

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Caldeira--this app looks great and is very promising. I went ahead and paid the $2.49 for a full version--I'm not opposed to donating, but I want to actually have a chance to try the app at full first. :)

I want to ask, how does autodownload work? A lot of podcast apps struggle with this (it's the one thing the default podcast app on WP did without fail). When I subscribed to a podcast, it won't start downloading even if I enable autodownload and have wifi...do I need to download that first episode, and then it will start autodownloading in the future?

Desynthesis

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Update: So the app's interface is quite well-thought out (though you should probably offer an option to have more than two icons in a row for people with bigger phones). But the app doesn't seem to want to download over wifi if you've enabled "download over wifi only"--it thinks my wifi network is a metered connection for whatever reason.

No idea what would have caused this, no other podcast app has run into this issue. But otherwise, this app is very promising. Still want to see if autodownloading works (so far, I have to download everything manually).

Desynthesis

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Another update: So, the app is not getting new episodes. I checked with the default podcast app, and some streams that got new episodes on the 20th do not appear in Castcenter.

So yeah, this app...doesn't seem to work. Or its updates are more than 24 hours behind. Either way.

Pretty disappointing--the GUI had a lot of promise. Too bad it doesn't actually work as a podcast subscription app. I wouldn't recommend anyone pay the $2.49 until this, and a few other things, get fixed.

EDIT: You can have three podcast icons on the GUI in a row though, so you're not limited to two. So there's that. Now if only the app 1) saw new podcasts you subscribed to and 2) actually downloaded them,

EDIT EDIT: And reinstalling the app and reseting it...keeps you from subscriping to any podcasts. At all. Making this app quite useless. Well, only $2.49 wasted. Too bad, if it worked, this would be a very promising app, but it's totally broken in a half-dozen areas.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss