App gap? ... What app gap?

Alses

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
I don't see TextTextRevolution! on any of the other platforms, I've played that game for almost 5 years now and I still less than three it! :winktongue:
Also PhysiBricks is awesome! :grin:

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
(This is just an example) I was looking for a good IGN app for WP but I can't find one. So, I guess there is still an app gap. But it's getting better.

Tahiti Bob

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
(This is just an example) I was looking for a good IGN app for WP but I can't find one. So, I guess there is still an app gap. But it's getting better.

There used to be an official IGN app back in the WP7 days but they dropped support, like Runkeeper and some others.

petteriusa

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Here's an example of a niche app that while many won't need, but WP isn't even mentioned. US Customs and Border Patrol app to expedite the entry forms and passport control process on entry to the USA. As government agencies finally get into the app business this could, at least in the US where WP adoption rate is still very low, be an embarrassing inconvenience to WP users.

iOS now, Android coming soon, Windows Phone isn't even mentioned. It's the rather long list of apps like this that are the problem.

New Mobile Passport Control App Available | U.S. Customs and Border Protection

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
I was looking to see if fantasy premier app was paid app on other platforms too and look what I found...
Sent from my tapatalk app on lumia 525

Attachments

• a41b5f58-18bb-40d9-a9f6-86e4d99a4bd5_TapatalkEditedImage.jpg
    a41b5f58-18bb-40d9-a9f6-86e4d99a4bd5_TapatalkEditedImage.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 14

Willyman

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I had the best example today of exactly what people call "the app gap".

I live in Hong Kong and in a big city like this, there is bound to be a lot of app development for locals. So today, I saw an article on the top 10 apps for Hong Kong in Time Out magazine. Guess what... Indeed, only ONE app was also available on WP. The official government weather observatory app. All of the apps were available on iOS and Android, an quite a few of them were genuinely very useful. E.g.: pay your subway fares by tapping your NFC enabled phone on the card reader at the gates. Cinema app to see availability of seats and buy from the app. Etc etc ...

I love WP phone UI, but I'm getting pulled harder and harder in the direction of Android at the moment (love my Nexus 7 tablet too).

itzkavin

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Thought of doing a realty check on Indian app dev market.

So here are the apps "Made in India" with over a million downloads on Android and their availability on Windows Phone. (source)

Travel

redBus - Available
ixigo Indian Rail train - Available
MakeMyTrip - Available
Cleartrip - Available
Goibibo - Available

Entertainment

BookMyShow - Available
Saavn - Not available
Gaana.com - Available
Hungama - Available

News

Newshunt - Available
Cricbuzz - Available
Cricinfo - Available
NDTV - Available

Payment

Paytm - Available (NC)
Mobikwik - Available
FreeCharge - Available

Gaming

Teen Patti - Available
Parking Frenzy - Available
Car Run - Coming Soon
Dhoom 3 - Available

F&B

Zomato - Available

Health and Fitness

LoveCycles - Available

MCommerce

Flipkart - Available
Snapdeal - Available

Utility

OLX - Available
Hike - Available
Just Unfollow - Not Available
Just Dial - Available
Quikr - Available
SMS Blocker - Not Available
Mobile Number and Phone Location - Not Available

m-indicator - Available

Social and Miscellaneous
Chaitimity - Not Available
Love and Romance Quotes - Not Available
VithU - Not Available

* paytm app, though functions well as mobile recharge app, doesn't have the ecommerce store it has on other platforms

wplee

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Example: Here's my Saturday in the UK with missing apps that I used to use on Android:

Wake up and go for a run. But can't use Runkeeper app not available so had to start again with alternative Endomodo. My running activity was posted to Facebook and a friend liked my comment. Although I got the notification, the WP app can't even show me the post. I also cant see a friends photo comment so have to use the mobile web version. Later that day I can't use the BBC sport app to check the Football (soccer) but fortunately there are good alternatives. I used to play Clash of Clans in the afternoon but that is not available. After my dinner I used to play my YouTube playlists but there is no official app so again an alternative. Finally I sit down to watch The X Factor a massive TV show in the UK that Microsoft's Skype is a product placement. The host says I can vote with the App. He doesn't even mention what platforms its on because he only assumes everyone's on iOS/Android, I check the store but its missing. Finally I would check my bank balance before bed, but of course no local banking app.

So No, I disagree that the App Gap is closing. Microsoft need to even part fund the popular Free app development because the lack of important apps is holding the platform back. As someone says above the total number of apps isn't important but major local service apps are. Even though I'm happy to use alternatives I can't say I would recommend WP to everyone I know for this very reason.

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
@evilrob totally pointless thread.If WP store serves you well then don't think that this is the case for everyone.
So you are really saying that app gap doesn't exist? Please, for God's sake don't spread wrong info. I'm a WP fan boy and I can't deny the truth that app gap exists.
Look at the following screenshot.

That's obvious as there's more people with HTC,LG,SAMSUNG,BLU,SONY running Android than those using an IPHONE or WP so the amt of apps in use on ANDROID would require an almost daily update for those apps simply because of how many people open those apps. This app gap talk is getting ridiculous as we want quality not quantity. Makes 0 sense having 500,000+ apps and more than half are crap and those that aren't are watered down versions to that found on IOS and Android.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/05/8e8e9aru.png

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
App gap or App quality = BS!! I've read all the many many posts regarding the reason/s for there being a vast disparity in the app store for WP vs the opposition. What I'm here to say to all of you is that there's no DEVELOPER who puts any App on any OS should be given any type of leniency with the failure to make updates to that same said App. Addressing those Devs who make for WP are the worst because for one NONE of them entered their workshop to make a WP app not knowing that the WP OS was in 3rd position not 2nd or 1st and dropped to 3rd but 3rd from the get go. So with that the market share % was in the single digits from the onset, so with that knowledge YOU still decided to make an app for the WP OS irrespective of whether you were drunk, high or sober you knew fully what you were doing. This talk about why this and why that is nothing short of BS covered in ****!!! Every DEV should be held accountable for their actions and TBH their lack thereof for apps made for WP should be held accountable as their lack of attention for same said APP/s should be seen as Corporate Espionage and I'm not talking a Bond movie because in the end when these apps are made to the poorly designed level and functionality as some are it only serves to turn customers away from the OS whereby creating a campaign that directly goes against their first reasoning for making any app for the OS. ? Are there any store owners who allow people to stand in front of their entrance and tell people to shop elsewhere, or allow then if it's a restaurant to hand out flyers for another eatery??

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria