Apples new iPhone 5 and their "Gates"

v10type-r

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Well, after hearing how Tim Cook had to apologize for the fumble of the iOS6 Maps I find it hard to justify it if the Apple crowd doesn't demand more than just an apology and a "try other apps" solution from him..

Seriously? If it had been Nokia, we'd have a $100 reimbursement for this blumber, yet Apple who makes so much money can only offer an apology and tell their users to try something else?

terrible. just terrible.

Nokia got blasted really hard for the "Ad-Gate", yet their camera has proven so far in the past challenges to be what it was set out to be from the beginning. It has shown that it wasn't a false promise to deliver a far more superior camera.

Let's see... Apple for the iPhone 5 now has how many "gates"???? "Map-Gate", "Wifi-Gate", "Scratch-Gate", "Chipped-gate", "Leaking-light-Gate", "Battery-Gate", "Siri-Gate", "Rattle-Gate", "SimCard-Gate"????

Best Quality, Best Reliability, Best OS, Best Nothing is more like it. I'm sorry, but with all these issues I can't say they can call themselves the best anymore. The media and the reviewers will always be biased here in North America since the majority are Apple Loyalists. I can't recall how many of them blasted Nokia for the "Ad-gate" there we so many, yet it seems that none of them are really calling out Apple for these pretty serious issues.

"Worlds thinnest and lightest" phone shouldn't be allowed since you almost certainly have to put a case on it to protect it from ever scratching or chipping..

If I was an Apple consumer I'd be completey appauled by this and seriously demand more from the company that takes a lot of my money for a "premium" product, they make a ton of money and can easily afford to "make things right" for their customers with their "Best Customer Service" and give them a credit for their troubles... Yet they can only issue an apology for the stunt(s) they just pulled.

I'm glad I don't have iClouded judgement, otherwise I'd be all smiles wandering with my scratched, buggy almost dead phone lost in the middle of the desert without any service, but wait! there's cases of solar powered iPhone charging kits since they're obsolete now! I'm SAVED! Oh wait.. damn lightning connector.. oh well at least I'll have my earpods.

Last edited:

v10type-r

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Yes, they admitted to it which is nice, considering what has happened in the past...

But what about all the other "gates". There is no mention from them about those other issues which are pretty important.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Let's see... Apple for the iPhone 5 now has how many "gates"???? "Map-Gate", "Wifi-Gate", "Scratch-Gate", "Chipped-gate", "Leaking-light-Gate", "Battery-Gate", "Siri-Gate", "Rattle-Gate", "SimCard-Gate"????

I agree with every word you wrote, and I've read about a lot of the ones you list, but I'd love to know more about Rattle-Gate and SimCard-Gate... any reference links?

austrianball#IM

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Do any of the other top phones (onex, GS3, L900) have so many issues? I know my 900's camera is a little less then I hoped for but no other problems.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
There are so many likes I need to give out in this thread, I don't know where to begin.

If this was a BlackBerry, RIM would have been crucified.

Luminatic

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Wow, some german users have reporting recepction and call quality problems on the iPhone 5 (don't know if this problem is widespread though). Call quality issues (robotic sounding voices) were also reported in the apple forums. (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4348915?start=0&tstart=0)

What I'm wondering is: Why does a phone with quite a few issues still get such high marks in reviews? Do the reviewers only get handpicked devices with no issues (or fewer
issues)? Are the reviewers just used to give an iDevide a good review? Are they punished by Apple if they give bad reviews, or maybe by some iFanatics? Or is just their preconception (When I say preconception, I mean reality distortion field) working well
in them? Or is the time the reviewers can take to test the device just too short to notice some glitches? (That's why I like the phonedog 30 day challenge)

I mean this question seriously. If I had to pay 729 Swiss Francs (that's how much the unlocked 16 GB Model costs in Switzerland) for a device, I would want it to work flawlessly - I would be forgiving some slight glitches which can be ironed out, but I certainly would't forgive bad call quality, purple photographs and subpar maps.

IMHO, premium devices don't come out of the boxed scratched, they have good call reception (it's still a phone, after all) and call quality, and I want to take good pictures with it (I don't expect Nokia 808 goodness, but I don't want purple hues either).

Can anyone enlighten me? I really don't get it.

(Ouch. Read this forum entries. Battery not so good? Crashes? https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4329696?start=450&tstart=0 I mean, come ooooon! I just hope the soon-to-be-available WP8-Phones don't have that many issues!)

Last edited:

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I agree, and I really don't get it either, but Apple has always had this ridiculous "reality distortion field", and their users are so blinded by the popularity and hype.

I mean if I buy a Lumia 920 and it ends up sucking, I'm gonna be really angry. I don't think I'll be disappointed since I've already had my hands on it and the evidence supports it favorably, but that's not the point. I have no problem pointing out the good and bad-- if it's factual.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Wow, some german users have reporting recepction and call quality problems on the iPhone 5 (don't know if this problem is widespread though). Call quality issues (robotic sounding voices) were also reported in the apple forums. (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4348915?start=0&tstart=0)

What I'm wondering is: Why does a phone with quite a few issues still get such high marks in reviews? Do the reviewers only get handpicked devices with no issues (or fewer
issues)? Are the reviewers just used to give an iDevide a good review? Are they punished by Apple if they give bad reviews, or maybe by some iFanatics? Or is just their preconception (When I say preconception, I mean reality distortion field) working well
in them? Or is the time the reviewers can take to test the device just too short to notice some glitches? (That's why I like the phonedog 30 day challenge)

I mean this question seriously. If I had to pay 729 Swiss Francs (that's how much the unlocked 16 GB Model costs in Switzerland) for a device, I would want it to work flawlessly - I would be forgiving some slight glitches which can be ironed out, but I certainly would't forgive bad call quality, purple photographs and subpar maps.

IMHO, premium devices don't come out of the boxed scratched, they have good call reception (it's still a phone, after all) and call quality, and I want to take good pictures with it (I don't expect Nokia 808 goodness, but I don't want purple hues either).

Can anyone enlighten me? I really don't get it.

It's the almighty iPhone, so it gets a pass, basically. I think the "iEffect" is starting to wear off, though... I don't really get it either.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
It's really weird because all these symptoms are textbook of a rushed device. I could understand if the iPhone was part of a traditional ecosystem where the device was supplied by an outside source and then the os was tested on it.

But it's not - everything is under one roof. The hardware guys work next to the software guys - no excuse.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, iEffect, iDistortion, iReality, whatever we call it is definitely going to wear off quick if Samsung and Nokia and HTC continue on the paths they're on.

I love how history tends to repeat itself. Walled gardens like Apple always lose favor as choice presents itself.

It's a big part of why so many analysts predict Apple's downfall over the next 3 years, and I'm predicting it as well. By the end of 2015, iPhone and iPad will be as irrelevant as Macs have been over the past 20 years. Every time Steve has "left" the company (being ousted and dying), the company lacks the vision and drive to maintain.

Luminatic

May 5, 2012
Visit site
I mean if I buy a Lumia 920 and it ends up sucking, I'm gonna be really angry. I don't think I'll be disappointed since I've already had my hands on it and the evidence supports it favorably, but that's not the point. I have no problem pointing out the good and bad-- if it's factual.

Same here. Facts are facts.

Luminatic

May 5, 2012
Visit site
I''ve read Steve Jobs' authorized biography recently and can now understand better what he did for the company:

• He liked and stood behind his procducts - that's why he was able to bring the enthusiasm across so well.
  • He wasn't driven by greed (as far as I can tell), he was driven by making good products.
  • He had a good sense about what the general public would like (maybe better then the general public itself).

Last but not least, he was a perfectionist and could get really nasty towards people (employees) who delivered sub-par quality. This can have an immense influence on quality, folks ... there are employees who have to be kicked to deliver their best work. at my own job, I had, until one year ago, worked with a project manager who could get really nasty if his subortinates didn't deliver. Resulting in smooth, almost glitch-free project that made the project members and clients happy. He left, was replaced by a guy with a nice personality, but no sense of knowing whom to kick to bring out the best. Resulting in sub-par quality which sometimes ends up on productive systems (but sometimes not, thanks to some really nasty, but very efficient people in the testing department where I work).

He's left big foot imprints to fill ... maybe too big for Mr. Cook? We'll see ...

Last edited:

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Because they play on the stupidity of human perception very well. They know that to get high build quality scores they just need to use premium feeling materials, whether or not it is premium or not it doesn't matter, it just needs to feel the part.

They know that the fancy 3D overhead maps would hide the fact that their real maps suck.

They got the tech geeks this time by using the A6 even though they could have used the A5 again since IOS is so light that the A6 scales to 500 mhz occasionally.

To be fair, the browser performance is quite impressive on the iphone 5 and Windows Phone plays on human perception quite a bit too with a lot of animation that hides the lag quite well. It works though, but as it stands,the only OS that proudly shows it's limitations and flaws is Android but it isn't the right move because it gets hit hard by the critics for being open and honest.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
It's really weird because all these symptoms are textbook of a rushed device. I could understand if the iPhone was part of a traditional ecosystem where the device was supplied by an outside source and then the os was tested on it.

But it's not - everything is under one roof. The hardware guys work next to the software guys - no excuse.

It was definitely rushed. They would have kept the mid October iphone 4s release date if they didn't feel that they needed to rush it. Looks like they could have uses that extra month.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Maybe Apple should take more than a year preparing for iPhone6. That timeline did not appear to work for the iPhone5.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro