Are smart devices and the internet of things mostly a pointless gimmick?

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I see a lot of raving about how important this sector is to consumers, but also a very slow adoption curve and, for the most part (with a few exceptions) a lack of real value for the consumer market.

VR, by comparison is faster growing, and for entertainment purposes the value of AR/VR is obvious (while the technology itself may have some way to grow).

Most people can be bothered switching a light off and on. Or tapping/clicking a playlist. Or choosing a room temp. It's not like an entertainment remote where you are glued to the sofa, or a handfree set, where most people are multi-tasking. Worse, speech recognition is still pretty bad, and AI doesn't really do much that's more intelligent than a person for the most part yet.

When both of those are better, sure, perhaps it has a use, as a general means of saving energy time for other things, for companionship and in situations where AI can handle a more complex task better than a human. The later two still offers a lot more, than an intelligently toasted bit of bread or a room leaping to life when you enter it, unless one is worn silly by daily activities to the point of mental breakdown.

For commercial purposes of course IoT makes a lot of sense, even in the current early stages. Same with virtual assistants, and time saving technologies.

I thought a hot take thread where everybody argues about it might be fun.

Pairadyce

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
I can't be bothered to find a use for VR/AR right now. It just doesn't fit into my routine. I have found that automatic lights and other things with additional Voice assistance to be highly useful and improve efficiency. I think the costs and complexity of rules-logic is the hurdle for consumers... Everyone's life is different so there isn't a one size fits all solution really

L0n3N1nja

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
Home automation and smart devices have a much bigger future than VR in my opinion.

VR is mainly used for gaming right now, and AR has yet to see much use. They also both require more expensive hardware and tend to be something you are focused on.

Mean while a smart device like Amazon Echo is inexpensive, and can be extremely useful with hands free operation while multitasking throughout the day.

I also don't get your logic on the entertainment remote either. If I can't be bothered to get off the sofa to change a channel, why would I want to get up to adjust lights, fans, AC, open/close blinds, set a reminder, etc.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Both yes and no.

Sure, one can argue about laziness and all, but when it works well it can be pretty cool.

My friend can tell her Google Home to turn on her bedroom lights, turn on her TV, start Netflix and start playing BoJack Horseman, play specific songs or playlists and even turn all those off again without ever getting out of bed and that's definitely something.

I think it's like wireless charging. Some people don't see the point of it, but others see the convenience perks.

sxotty

Oct 21, 2018
Visit site
I think it can have definite potential. The ability to set all the lights on for a specific task when you hands are full is useful. The ability to turn all the lights off and thermostat down when leaving the house is pretty nice. There are definite advantages. It allows things that used to be more complex like dimers and colored lights to be easily accessible.

You can do all of this with the invoke quite easily and I think it is nice.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Both yes and no.

Sure, one can argue about laziness and all, but when it works well it can be pretty cool.

My friend can tell her Google Home to turn on her bedroom lights, turn on her TV, start Netflix and start playing BoJack Horseman, play specific songs or playlists and even turn all those off again without ever getting out of bed and that's definitely something.

I think it's like wireless charging. Some people don't see the point of it, but others see the convenience perks.

I got a wireless charger, and literally never use it, because it's slower than quickcharge.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Home automation and smart devices have a much bigger future than VR in my opinion.

VR is mainly used for gaming right now, and AR has yet to see much use. They also both require more expensive hardware and tend to be something you are focused on.

Mean while a smart device like Amazon Echo is inexpensive, and can be extremely useful with hands free operation while multitasking throughout the day.

I also don't get your logic on the entertainment remote either. If I can't be bothered to get off the sofa to change a channel, why would I want to get up to adjust lights, fans, AC, open/close blinds, set a reminder, etc.

You are forgetting P0rn.

I guess you are right if you are already seated, regarding the remote. I just figure, most people adjust the lights, close the blinds, when they are already standing. And most thermostats have remotes anyway.

IDK, maybe it's a personal thing. I've had the ability to set reminded via voice for years, and I never do it. It's just easier to me to swipe a screen that speak loudly and slowly trying to get a voice assistant to work out what I am asking. Perhaps when they are actually more intelligent, that'll be less of an issue. At least an appointment is a relatively important task. If connected things can do more than make the lights blue, I'm sure I'll be on board. Well with the AI part. Being a techie, the last thing I'd do is introduce a hundred points of failure into my living space.