Are we deceiving ourselves?

lawalhu

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I've been thinking recently over the faith some of us have kept with the windows phone despite all its failings and been wondering if we're not really deceiving ourselves whenever we argue it's better than android or even iPhone. I use to have a windows mobile 6.5, windows phone 7.8 and now lumia 1020 running windows 10 TP. The other day I argued with my younger brother who has a low end android phone that our Cortana is superior to their google now. "Where was Obama born?" Google now responded with clear voice response, but Cortana merely displayed some web pages on Obama. "Which is the most widely spoken language in Africa?" Google now responded with an answer, but Cortana still displayed pages. We went on and on, and most of the times google now was the winner. Then came the issue of apps. I told him the last time our Facebook app was updated was over four months and despite series of updates it still doesn't have alot of features available on other platforms' version. The same thing with twitter, instagram, WhatsApp and more. At the end, I realised that we , that have kept faith with windows phone and refused to shift ground despite clear message, are deceiving ourselves.

hb1x

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
Exactly. Whenever I see someone calling WP the best OS and that they don't need the apps, updates, etc, I feel like screaming at them. But I don't. Cuz I want them to keep using WP. I don't want WP to die. Actually, I want it to succeed. And for that, someone has to make the sacrifice. I wont. LOL...... :p

sharadh

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Exactly. Whenever I see someone calling WP the best OS and that they don't need the apps, updates, etc, I feel like screaming at them. But I don't. Cuz I want them to keep using WP. I don't want WP to die. Actually, I want it to succeed. And for that, someone has to make the sacrifice. I wont. LOL...... :p
Same here. I know that wp lacks a lots of apps and the ones available arent up to the mark. But still i am being patient with Microsoft because i think that windows 10 will change this scenario. Not sure though but i love wp way too much. So m willing to take my chances;)

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Actually, I want it to succeed. And for that, someone has to make the sacrifice. I wont.

I feel that way as well, in spite of how "juvenile" it may be. Users need to hang with it, but I am not willing to personally. I'm glad somebody does though! :grin:

That said, a lot of people don't feel that they are sacrificing by using WP instead of iOS or Android. They are the key to WP's success. I doubt whether there are many WP users who are there for the sole reason of adding another user to the statistics.

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I don't care what people say. I WANT a Phone that. WORKS.
Nokia never disappoint me so far no matter what OS they backed into their phone. But Samsung and Blackberry are betray my trust.

Windows phone has LINE apps which got updates sometimes. May lack some games which I don't care but all social features works.

Same goes with Facebook and Twitter. They lack something but works. Unlike some other that performs poorly

And don't tell me to go get iPhone because it's too expensive. I'm a student and not living in UK or US buying Lumia 430 still need some struggle here so I'll take a good care of my Nokia Lumia 930 here

Charles Brown8

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
I don't think I'm deceiving myself.. I haven't seen force close app blah blah since I went windows 2 yrs ago. That by itself is refreshing to me lol. Come on the dialer force closing? That was on a Motorola atrix 2 and that was the last straw Hehe.

Rooks308

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
I understand exactly how you feel. I'm on the cusp of making a decision between the next iPhone and an upcoming Lumia. I'm trying really hard to spend 30 days with my Lumia 640 and not use or rely on my iPhone at all but it has been difficult. I keep telling myself that a Flagship Lumia will be a better comparison, but the problems I keep having have absolutely nothing to do with the hardware or the speed of the interface (other than the camera on the 640 vs the 5S camera, but that really isn't a fair comparison to the Lumia). The problem is always the apps. I want to watch the news, nope, the app for the channel i'm looking to watch doesn't offer live streaming. I want to use Strava to map my cycling, nope, no Strava (yes there are alternatives, but not the same). Maybe I want to play a few games, few of the games I play on my iPhone exist on Windows Phone (Vain Glory, Card Wars, any of the Warhammer 40K games, Infinity Blade). Many of the games my son plays are also not there, thankfully there are a few alternatives that are close enough for him. The apps that DO exist are not usually as good or feature filled as the iOS versions.

Now I am patient, and I'm waiting to see what Windows 10 does for the platform, and I very very much hope for Microsoft's success, if nothing else because it would push Google and Apple harder. However if that much needed changes comes 1 or 2 years from now I would be better served just getting the phone that already does everything I'll need it to, has all the apps I need/want and then use the high resell value to drop it when that time comes for a flagship Windows Phone.

I understand some people have all the apps they need/want on Windows Phone, but you need to think beyond the current user base, because if you want Windows Phone to thrive (like I do) you need to start attracting Android and iOS users, and though some will come without issue, most will be disappointed when they can't find their apps, or when they fire up their apps and find it is shadow of the version they were expecting.

Maybe I wouldn't say we are deceiving ourselves, I'd rather think of this group as "dedicated to the platform, despite some rough patches" :winktongue:

How's that?

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Why update apps that have to be updated within a short period of time anyway?
I mean, W10 is just around the corner.,

Problem is, are you so sure that those apps will be updated, even after W10M is released?? Already been so long yet Instagram is still stuck with its beta version. Sames goes for the freaking Facebook app - why it is still not as polished as the iOS / Android all these while?

You still have faith that apps will be updated or newer apps will be added when time comes with W10M? Not me TBH.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site

Not forgetting that there will be fans making the same remark version after version since WP7 - "The next version will be better".

LOL!

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I don't think there's much doubt that WP is considerably inferior to Android and iPhone in terms of form and function. The only reason to use it is if you can't stand Apple or Google and their way of doing business, which is the boat I'm in. I hope WP gets better one day, but I'm not holding my breath.

Gustavo Sanchez

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I don't think there's much doubt that WP is considerably inferior to Android and iPhone in terms of form and function. The only reason to use it is if you can't stand Apple or Google and their way of doing business, which is the boat I'm in. I hope WP gets better one day, but I'm not holding my breath.
Exactly my feelings. I don't like Apple nor Android, but WP is looking even more incomplete. The only phone I could use to replace my 1520 is a Nexus 6.

Manoj Daran

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Sometimes, I felt like deceiving myself too. I chose Windows because it has a unique interface and functions. It was all good at the start, but then I realise it lacked a lot, even some basic stuffs that a smart phone need to have. I like some android functions, apps but I cannot think beyond Windows. I just want WP to stand high and win hearts. Still waiting for the best part of Windows. Win8.1 was a pretty neat upgrade but that wasnt enough though. Now, waiting for W10 for months with a hope that the OS finally overcome all the odds and Im holding my breath until that day. However, I cannot choose a phone running on a different OS than Windows...

Alfa Kapa

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Either accept the good and bad points of WP and live happily knowing that is working fine for YOU
or
compare it 1:1 directly with other OSes and get destroyed!

All OSes have advantages and disadvantages, weight out what is more important for you and buy a device you like.

This ''oh my OS is better than yours'' which is similar to ''oh real mandrid is better than barca'' which is similar to ''oh ferrari is better than porsche'' is really toxic.

So just enjoy your device with its flaws and don't take place in ''phone wars'', thankfully we live in a time that we are surrounded by choices..!

For me I left Android because of completely random micro stutters every now and then.. I want to say that I found WP and now I don't have this problem which really makes me feel a lot nicer. Tiny first word problem, I know, but choice halped me to overcome this annoyance :)
Also the majority of Android fans were extremely aggressive to anything other than Android which was like a huge boulder of fanatism ready to take on its path any new and booming idea and crush it in the ground.

What I've seen from the Windows Phone communities is that there is a great deal of fanatism and non rational thinking (as with every other thing and company in general) but in general WP community is by far the most rational!

Just one thing I want to channel through every mobile/desktop OS enthousiast (if this is even a word) ...

Keep an open mind about everything!
It is really a way of life and the thing is that companies have great interests in locking as into one camp.
So I'm saying again, weight out the advantages/disadvantages and make your decision! :)

triageatdawn

May 31, 2015
Visit site
Eurj9.gif

If I had a cent for every time I saw negative Nancies coming up with threads like this one I'd have enough money to buy the next Lumia flagship when it comes out. There's no us because it's a matter of personal preference. I've had this Android for 5 years now, it's not functional anymore and I got no funds for a new phone. (Yes, I won't be coming back on Android). Both of my parents own the 640 and they couldn't be more happier with it. Everything works perfectly fine, the OS is optimized and really easy to use. I was curious so I asked Cortana the same question, and guess what, I got the answer - Honolulu, HI.

Windows Phone is relatively new to the market, Windows 10 Mobile has yet to come and Microsoft won't be killing it any time soon. Universal apps are coming. New devices are on their way, things keep on rolling so I don't see what's the big deal here. Will people ever stop complaining? No. Because lots of them wanna have instant access to everything, everything has to be NOW. And it never ends. Are you frustrated? Disappointed? Jump the ship. Right now. Get yourself an Android and spare us your drama. As simple as that.

Last edited:

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Or, recognise that each OS has its problems, pick the best of the bunch, then seek to address those problems through 3rd party apps/hacks and by whipping out your virtual placard and getting heard.

Some are proactive. Some prefer to simply acquiesce. I have had more success with the former option, but it takes all sorts I suppose.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Windows 10 is better than Windows 8.1, no doubt. We do have a non-finished version. I do sometimes get an app crashing and it will cause other apps to crash until i reboot. Small things like that. But honestly it is more functional. The built in apps are definitely lacking in design direction. I have mentioned before that onedrive app and photos app are good examples of really horrible design. Go to the settings in both apps. And as you're trying to find the settings, notice how completely different routes are taken to get there and just how bad it is with dealing with space and fluidity. Built in apps should all follow an order and work well. But anyways, this isn't anything new. Look at the people app on windows 10 desktop. Find settings in that one. lol. 2 ellipses one far right and one in the middle. It's just weird. But with desktop im more forgiving. Plus i know it's not fully complete. Mobile needs to be complete when launched. Users don't buy a phone thinking "yah it will be better in a few months". I sure as hell won't put down that much money for a "maybe".

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
If I wanted IOS I know where it is. If I want android I know where it is too. The phone for me is Windows Phone. Period. I'm not deceived because the information fed Cortana didn't match what information might be fed google now. I'm fortunate enough to have that choice of platform that others may not.
But I stick with this platform because of how it does for me what it does for me and the speed at which it can do it. I will stick with what I love rather than look to IOS and android because of some need to be them without being them. Its not why I'm here.

Like I said, I know where they are and if I want them, I can get them.
If that is what YOU want, I would suggest you go for what you want and quit trying to get support from others to make a decision for you.

Too funny though.Google now gave a different response and now you got a beef with Cortana and want to look elsewhere. smh.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Some people may be deceiving themselves, but many clear-headed people are enjoying Windows phones for exactly what they offer. Ask your friend about Android security--he can Google up a lot of great recent articles about things to worry about.

True story. A casual friend got locked out of her house so I handed her my phone to call her husband. She obviously had never looked closely at a Windows phone before and her words were something like, "Wow, what a sophisticated phone!" In contrast to that whenever I look at someone's Android or iOS home screen I think to myself, "How do they use this mess, and how can they stand using something that looks so ugly?!"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria