Are you seeing that the Chromium Edge does not manage CPU and memory as efficiently as current Edge?

Jeffery L

Jan 13, 2018
Visit site
If you have the new Chromium based Edge installed, can you please try the following test.
1. Go to Setting->Privacy->Background app. Do not allow current Edge to run in the background.
2. Open current Edge. Open 5 tabs of www.WindowsCentral.com. Wait a minute to let all background stuff to load.
3. Open Chromium Edge. Open 5 tabs of www.WindowsCentral.com. Wait a minute to let all background stuff to load.
4. Open Task Manager. Wait a minute for Task Manager to settle down on its own processing.
5. Observer CPU and Memory load of both browsers.
6. Minimize both browsers. Wait about two minutes. Windows 10 and current Edge will start to suspend the tab processes and unload the memory. Expand the current Edge application in Task Manager to see individual tabs. You will see a green leaf next to processes that Windows 10 is suspending. Windows 10 will also release the memory of suspended processes. The current Edge will drop to 0% CPU and very low memory.
7. The Chromium Edge does not seem to suspend the tab process. Though CPU does relax some, the memory load is still high.
8. Are you seeing this behavior where Chromium Edge is not as CPU and memory efficient as current Edge when in the background? I'm worried about how much battery power Chromium Edge is going to hog up just by leaving the browser open and not using. The current Edge is so efficient, even if it is in the foreground, it can suspend tabs you are not using. Please let me know what you see.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately I am using the Stable channel of Edge Chromium, so the original Edge has been replaced. But I have no performance issues with it and it seem faster to me than Chrome at least. What channel/version are you using?

amandacpt

Jul 21, 2020
Visit site
If you have the new Chromium based Edge installed, can you please try the following test.
1. Go to Setting->Privacy->Background app. Do not allow current Edge to run in the background.
2. Open current Edge. Open 5 tabs of www.WindowsCentral.com. Wait a minute to let all background stuff to load.
3. Open Chromium Edge. Open 5 tabs of www.WindowsCentral.com. Wait a minute to let all background stuff to load.
4. Open Task Manager. Wait a minute for Task Manager to settle down on its own processing.
5. Observer CPU and Memory load of both browsers.
6. Minimize both browsers. Wait about two minutes. Windows 10 and current Edge will start to suspend the tab processes and unload the memory. Expand the current Edge application in Task Manager to see individual tabs. You will see a green leaf next to processes that Windows 10 is suspending. Windows 10 will also release the memory of suspended processes. The current Edge will drop to 0% CPU and very low memory.
7. The Chromium Edge does not seem to suspend the tab process. Though CPU does relax some, the memory load is still high.
8. Are you seeing this behavior where Chromium Edge is not as CPU and memory efficient as current Edge when in the background? I'm worried about how much battery power Chromium Edge is going to hog up just by leaving the browser open and not using. The current Edge is so efficient, even if it is in the foreground, it can suspend tabs you are not using. Please let me know what you see.

I had old machine with the old version of Edge installed.
I've completed your test and had zero issues with browser whatsoever.
Maybe you have and additional process running in the background so your energy consumption skyrocket like this?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers