Argh! I cannot decide.

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone, i'm having issues on what Windows Phone to get, i was going to get a 520, but i have other options too.

The two WP phones in mind are the HTC 8x and Nokia Lumia 820.

In my opinion pros and cons for both phones are.

HTC 8x

Pros: Better colour options, better screen and better feel and look.

Cons: Worse camera, doesn't have as much support as Nokia does (examples: Nokia app exclusives and More frequent updates)

Nokia Lumia 820

Pros: Better Camera, More support (Same as before)

Cons: Colours are not as nice, (I prefer the 820's Red over the 8x's Red.) Not as much storage (although it can be expandable with MicroSD)

The L820 has MicroSD card support but i'll most likely have more games so the extra storage will be largely useless. I've heard of the "other" storage issue on the 8x, does that still exist? if so, does anybody know when the update that can remove the "other" issue is coming?

Thanks.

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Go for the 820. The support Nokia is showing currently for their phones is superior to any other WP maker. Go for the best you can afford. The 520 is a lovely handset but the 820specs are far greater. You wont regret getting a more powerful phone for starters. The 8X, whilst a nice handset, is supported by an increasingly disinterested and unstable HTC- its clear Nokia has more to offer coming up in terms of support of their 1st gen WP8 devices.

keylex90

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Im using 820 now and all I can is that it is worth the price. Smooth UI with no lagging due to its 1.5GHz processor. Great color (since i got three shell colors to changs).

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I originally wanted a 820, the problem is that i'm a moderate gamer who wants to install games like MC4, and since the MicroSD card support doesn't support the installation of apps on the card, Storage will be a problem for me.

markfive

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Some other factors to consider:

Having seen both side by side, I would say that you would probably not notice the difference in screen resolutions in normal day to day use, and the L820 will be better in bright sunlight.

The L820 is heavier (160g vs 130g) but - my opinion - feels more solid because of it. There's something about the 8X that makes me feel like it would snap in half easily, or bend/flex too much over time.

HTC 8x has had some reports of case colours degrading due to contact with coloured fabrics, or corners simply "wearing off". The L820 doesn't suffer with this.

There are a lot of questions around the viability of HTC at the moment. Ignoring the relative levels of support for WP8 from Nokia and HTC (as they are mentioned earlier in the post), it's clear that Nokia are in this for the long term. My opinion is that cannot be said for HTC at present.

Ultimately though you have to go with what makes you feel best - if the 8X feels right to you then it's the right choice for you, and that's just as important as any statistics. People live with the "limitations" of whatever handset they choose (or can afford) - if you worry about the details too much then you will always look at the handset you didn't choose and wonder "what if", and that will only spoil your enjoyment of the handset you actually have.
In this case neither handset is really *that* limited - they are both good options, they both have limitations and/or faults but nothing that's ultimately a show stopper. You've made the right choice in choosing WP8 :smile: - from here on, whichever you choose, the only way is up :wink:

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Well, as it is i'm pushing towards the 820. It's disappointing that HTC is not going to well and is not dedicated to Windows Phone 8.

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I have a friend with a Lumia 820 who is an avid gamer and he has never complained to me. Don't forget WP8 doesn't take up anything like the amount of memory as Android so every Gb is worth more.

Also, some games won't run on low end handsets. Add changeable covers and 4G readiness and I think the 820 is the way to go.

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I had to make the same decision, even a bit wider: 920, 820, 8X or ATIV S. my points for the 820 were:
-I really can't see the resolution difference when I use it normally
-AMOLEDs look SO much better to me, due to the really high satured colours and the awesome black
-storage. I need it most for music, atm I have 50GB on it
-of course, the support by nokia with apps + system extensions
-the 8X has another resolution ratio that isn't supported by all apps
-4.3" is perfect (against 920 and ATIV S)

But what really made the decision was just trying them out, the 820 is the best phone I've ever held in terms of size, weight and screen size/position. So I really think you should try them out, if you love music DO NOT get the 8X, beats audio suck (really, try it out) and the 820 has a custom equalizer. But still, I would try them out and not completely rely on other's opinions.

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for the late reply, i do enjoy music but i'm not a hardcore music person.

Does anybody know the amount of space Modern Combat 4: Zero Hour takes up? as that will be among the games i'll play.

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I know that, but is that the file size when compressed?

I heard it took up to 5GB on somebody's L920.

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Argh, damnit 5GB.

Oh well, the HTC 8x is looking better as a result.

Apparently downloading it via web browser reduces space. Hopefully i can get it below 2GB.

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
You can download it manually on your pc and after copying .xap file in your microSD Card you can install it on your phone without creating any temp file on your phone memory. You can do it for any app and that's advantage of having SD card on your wp. HTC 8X doesn't have it but Lumia 820 does. Any app with big size, I never download it on my 520. Always use SD card for it.You can also control other storage by doing this.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs