As an ATT user are there any real disadvantages to getting an unlocked 830

buffalosolja

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Recently broke my 1520 and got an 830 on next but missing the denim features. If I pick up an unlocked one will I lose anything (no real experience with an unlocked device).

Likwidz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Last Fall I was running RM-985 Prototype on ATT and didn't see any disadvantages that I could notice. I eventually got ATT Branded 830, back then Softcard was still useable and had to have a branded phone for it too work.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No ATT Apps (if you needed one). You may not get other services like VVM to configure (but there is a 3rd party alternative). Possibly no access to HD Voice (ATT speak for VoLTE) and possible loss of Cell Broadcast capability...

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Recently broke my 1520 and got an 830 on next but missing the denim features. If I pick up an unlocked one will I lose anything (no real experience with an unlocked device).

Are you talking about "unlocked" or "unbranded"? Unlocked phones still depend on the carrier for updates. For example, if you "unlock" an AT&T phone, you can use it on other carriers but it still gets the updates from AT&T. "Unbranded takes the carrier out of the equation.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Also make sure you get the rm-985 if LTE matters to you, the rm-984 although found much cheaper (as low as $200 refurbished) only achieves H+ but since your on the actual AT&T network and not cricket like me 😂, I suspect your speeds will still be very fast, as I'm getting H+ on cricket right now,and my speeds and coverage and stay good,and this is coming from someone on a throttled network.

I'd personally save a few bucks and buy the rm-984

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Possibly VoLTE aka HD Voice when it rolls out. I think AT&T will be using Band 4 for this.. Can't remember.

On the bright side no ATT logos haha

Edit: L635 on TMo sounds amazing with HD voice. The lower compression will make a bigger difference considering L830 has better mics

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Possibly VoLTE aka HD Voice when it rolls out. I think AT&T will be using Band 4 for this.. Can't remember.

On the bright side no ATT logos haha

Edit: L635 on TMo sounds amazing with HD voice. The lower compression will make a bigger difference considering L830 has better mics

I'd take AT&T's smalls subtle globe logo over Verizon's big arrogant logo on the front and back of my phone any day. At least AT&T only puts their logo on one side of windows phones... 😐

Verizon looked at a beautiful phone like the 930 and made it ugly by stripping away its colors,slapping Verizon tattoos on it, and naming it the ICON

930 should've went to AT&T in the U.S to be sold alongside the 1520 IMO,especially since Verizon just ended up cancelling the phone early and being stingy with uodates

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I'd take AT&T's smalls subtle globe logo over Verizon's big arrogant logo on the front and back of my phone any day. At least AT&T only puts their logo on one side of windows phones... 😐

Verizon looked at a beautiful phone like the 930 and made it ugly by stripping away its colors,slapping Verizon tattoos on it, and naming it the ICON

But 930 comes later. ICON exist first

hiya15

May 23, 2015
Visit site
I'd take AT&T's smalls subtle globe logo over Verizon's big arrogant logo on the front and back of my phone any day. At least AT&T only puts their logo on one side of windows phones... ��

930 should've went to AT&T in the U.S to be sold alongside the 1520 IMO,especially since Verizon just ended up cancelling the phone early and being stingy with uodates

Agreed with you on ATT logo branding vs. VERIZON logo. Damn, its huge.

buffalosolja

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Looked on Prime and they don't say what version it is, and some get 985 and some get 984. I would like the 985 and it is under 300 so would love to have it.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'd take AT&T's smalls subtle globe logo over Verizon's big arrogant logo on the front and back of my phone any day. At least AT&T only puts their logo on one side of windows phones... 

Yeah Verizon is horrible.
Though I thought we were talking about the International model haha. I'd prefer no logos, but AT&T really is not so bad in this regard.

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Yeah Verizon is horrible.
Though I thought we were talking about the International model haha. I'd prefer no logos, but AT&T really is not so bad in this regard.

I got Nokia Lumia ICON without Verizon Logo.

Actually 930 :p

Go get some unbranded phone dude.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I got Nokia Lumia ICON without Verizon Logo.

Actually 930 :p

Go get some unbranded phone dude.

That's what I have been saying >.<. If 830 does not support AT&T VoLTE in the future, and I was shopping for a new phone, I'd definitely go for an unbranded International variant.

Hate the extra logos and bloat that these carriers add.

BTW like most other Verizon phones Lumia ICON only sends/receives SMS over Edge :O

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss