AT&T 4G vs 3G plan with Titan

Loxias

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Anyone in '4G' areas with the Titan have any thoughts on the speed? Had a friend stop by with a Bionic the other day showing me his LTE speeds. He was pulling upwards of 30 Mbit on some of the tests.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I am thinking at this stage the entire point of LTE is to be able to have good speedtest numbers. I don't do a single thing with my phone that requires 30Mbps. In fact, I can say the same about my home PC.

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Well for media consumption, particularly streaming video, it's better to have and not need than it is to need and not have.

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
On Android devices, not having a 4G plan does affect speeds. I couldn't even get data without it on my SGSII. The APN settings on 4G phones are different than 3G. Maybe this is not the case with WP7 devices though?

Dr.Phil

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't really want my next device to be LTE. First of all, it is a battery hog. Secondly, it makes the devices about a cm thicker than their non-LTE form. And finally, I don't think anyone is really thinking about the health hazards associated with LTE. I mean if you thought cell phones caused cancer before, I have no doubt that having LTE would increase that. I mean just think about your wireless router at home. Imagine putting that next to your body every single day. Wouldn't you be a little concerned about your health? I am pretty sure they even say on those wireless routers to not put your hands next to the antennas. Idk, I may be a worrywart but I just have this bad feeling about LTE (at least right now). I don't think you need really anything faster than HSPA+. 21 Mbps is just barely shy of my internet speed at home. Not to mention that you are talking about loading a website on a mobile phone which in a lot of cases would be less information to load. I honestly think AT&T should have just done the T-Mobile route and just increased the HSPA+ to 42 Mbps if anything.

spokanedj

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Couple thing to add. Yes, you must have a 4G Data plan on the phone for Data to work. I don't know why, but I got a Focus S in store and had (still waiting for) the Titan direct fufilled. A really good friend works at the AT&T store and processed the order for me. He sais I'd need to call or come in have the other line switched to 4G before it would work.

I just tried putting my SIM in my Girlfriends Focus and it worked fine. I verified via Premier that I have a 4G data plan. So it does look like 3G phones can operator with data on a 4G plan but not vice versa.

Also, there IS a different between the iPhone data plan, BB data plan and the rest. Mainly it has to do with Voice Mail configuration (ala VVM). I had two people on my account still with iPhone data plans using 1st gen WP7 phones I bought used to replace the hand-me-down iPhone 3GS no one wanted. They were working fine data wise, but have odd voice mail problems (voice mail service would stop working after a while). I finally pinned it down with an AT&T CSR that actually had a clue, after calling numerous times w/out resolution.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
This ought to confuse the average consumer even more I got this in an email from AT&T. We know what 4GB means, but the average consumer is going to get confused with terms like 3G and 4G flying around, now add 4GB.

atl02.jpg

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Fwiw, I put the sim from my Focus into my Inspire 4G, entered some APN settings someone posted on the at&t online forum, and its all good. To my knowledge, I not on a 4G plan for my Focus.

Not sure what it means, but the 4G indicator "H+" on the Inspire shows that it's available, and that I'm even connected at times. It will show "E" sometimes, also. I don't think there's a separate 3G indicator. At least I haven't noticed any, nor do I see one in the quickstart that came w/the phone.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
The AT&T SIM card I have in my Nokia N8 is before they offered HSDPA+ and my Nokia N8 says 3.5G on the data connection.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria