AT&T Store (San Fran) Refuses to Sell me a No Commitment Lumia 920 - FURIOUS.

iJuan

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Okay so I went to the store this morning to look at the phone. Couldn't decide whether to let my yellow preorder come or get the black one there. It's only a five minute walk from my house so I decided to think about it. I walked over this afternoon to grab it. Before I put my name on the list to be helped, I had them verify they had the black Lumia 920 in stock. They did. I waited 30 minutes or so to be helped. I was number 7 on the list. A guy comes to help me, and I told him I wanted the black Nokia Lumia 920 at the full price. He said okay. He went in the back for a while, and he came back out and said he couldn't sell me that phone. He said I could only buy it if I were extending my contract or starting a new one. WTF.

I asked if that was AT&T policy, and he quickly pointed me to the manager.

So the manager comes out, and he tells me that they're only selling these phones to people who are starting / extending contracts.

Me: why?

Him: Because it's a limited stock.

Me: Aren't you in the business of selling phones? I can take one off your hands.

Him: Yes, but the stock is limited.

Me: Obviously... but I want to buy the phone.

Him: We can't do that unless you're extending your contract.

Me: Is it because you get a higher commission when you bring in a new customer or extend a contract?

Him: [awkard pause] No it's just that it's a new phone and it is in limited stock.

Me: What does that have to do with whether or not you will sell it to me?

Him: This is our store policy.

Me: Really? Show me where that AT&T policy is written.

Him: It's not an AT&T policy... this is something that all the San Francisco and Northern California stores do...

Me: You're not going to sell me this phone... are you?

Him: Nope.

I'm really disappointed. I mean obviously nobody LIKES AT&T. But... I like them a little less. I have the specific store name and the name of the manager. I'd like to complain. Rather than complain, I guess I'd rather just have my phone. Has anyone else had this experience today?
I am sorry to hear that. That is total BS. I bought my Lumia 920 off contract here in California as well for 488$ after taxes and got a free charging plate.
I would of been angry and just canceled my contract.
If they aren't gonna sell you the phone, why even have an off contract price?
Call and complain to corporate :)

aimfire72

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I'd recommend going back to the MS store and asking them to price match, the one in Corte Madera did so I got it for $449 plus tax.

Cool, I didn't realize that they price-matched there! I'll go back with my receipt this week... need to pick up a case for my Surface anyways. :)

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I am sorry to hear that. That is total BS. I bought my Lumia 920 off contract here in California as well for 488$ after taxes and got a free charging plate.
I would of been angry and just canceled my contract.
If they aren't gonna sell you the phone, why even have an off contract price?
Call and complain to corporate :)

I think it's just a no commitment price, they never outright state you can buy the device without an AT&T account of some sort.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Yes but you get a $50 credit on your first bill
Also in SF Bay Area, lots of AT&T stores had them in stock, but I waited until early evening, and by then, only a store in San Jose by me had any left. Drove over, it was the most ghetto AT&T store I've ever been to, lol. Complete chaos there, waited forever for someone to finally sign me in. Told them I wanted the 920 off-contract and girl said she had to ask the manager... She came back and said they could NOT sell me one off-contract yet. Asked her "Well when then?". She told me in 6 months because it was a new phone. :/

Remembered the MS Store at Valley Fair mall and gave them a call, asked if they had the 920 and what the off-contract price was... "Yes, and $499". Hmm, $50 more than AT&T, but whatever, would rather buy direct from the source than stupid AT&T. So I drove over there, got one no problem, out in 10 minutes.

Would recommend MS Store to anyone in SF Bay that's having problems with AT&T stores.

BTW, they didn't have the charger at the MS store, but told me I could get one online from Nokia... there's an article here on WP on how to go about it.

Sent from my lumia 920 using Board Express

5tephen

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I bought my phone off contract from an ATT store in Tucson, and they refused to let me get the wireless charger. The sales rep said it was for upgrades or activations only and when I told her about the press release she said "its even on the sign for the phone" and led me over to the display 920s where it did indeed say free charging plate, but did NOT say anything about upgrades or activations. You should've seen the confusion on her face. However, she still refused the free charger but told me I could pay the $49 for one. The manager was out there by that point and agreed with the sales rep so when I got home today I filed a BBB complaint against the store because I called in to 611 and was told for complaints they only have an address where you can send a letter to not a number to call and complain.

clavecinist

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
The AT&T store where I purchased my 920 also refused to sell me a no-commitment device. I'm lucky enough to have an ARS account and am not eligible for subsidized prices- after I told them I am not eligible they relented and sold me the phone, but they actually took the time to verify, and then denied me the charging plate. I will buy future devices from Microsoft Stores to avoid the run-around from commission employees.

kenstervf

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Re: AT&T Store (San Fran) Refuses to Sell me a No Commitment Lumia 920 - FURIOUS.

An AT&T Store here in Huntington Beach, CA refused to sell me one off contract since I dont have an account with them. :/ 2hrs ago.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: AT&T Store (San Fran) Refuses to Sell me a No Commitment Lumia 920 - FURIOUS.

If you want white order from Amazon, they will sell it to you for the ATT price plus no tax or activation fee BS.

ATT is really abusing its exclusivity status. Par for the course for the shysters...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon