AT&T Version is RM-1063?

Lilla45

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
re: AT&T Version is RM-1063?

I ordered a Lumia 640 XL for AT&T from Microsoft Store online today for $250+tax, with free Nokia headset valued at $35. Ordered non-Microsoft case, and 32GB Sandisk Ultra memory card from Amazon. So, now I just have to wait for all to arrive. Talked to Microsoft via chat and they said the version they are selling is exactly the same as the version AT&T is selling even though the specs posted online are different.

Last edited:

jtshorns

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

So crazy how many variants there are. I bought the dual sim lte version from expansys and loved it but at the end of the day I have to have my visual voicemail!

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

So crazy how many variants there are. I bought the dual sim lte version from expansys and loved it but at the end of the day I have to have my visual voicemail!

Exactly. Right now my wife is using a Lumia 635 from AT&T, and I've got a Country Variant 635. She can dial the number to get the Data balance in an SMS, and I can't, even though both accounts are on the same AT&T account. She gets visual voicemail, and I don't. It's because of the variant number. She's on RM-975_1035, and I'm RM-975_1043.

It's not that AT&T can't offer those services on these "Bring Your Own Device" devices, they just punish you for not buying it from them because they want the extra profit from selling you the device. That's my opinion, whether right or not.

If the phone works on the AT&T LTE bands, they should allow it to have the visual voicemail, PERIOD. Shame on AT&T.

coolbreeze78

Nov 11, 2004
Visit site

If the phone works on the AT&T LTE bands, they should allow it to have the visual voicemail, PERIOD. Shame on AT&T.

That and HD voice. AT&T's new punishment platform is to only offer stuff you really want on their branded phones. Oh well. Corporate restrictions and rules win again.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

I'm in the same boat with the Visual Voicemail situation. It's odd though, because for some time this past year I used an unlocked, unbranded Sony Xperia Z Ultra on AT&T, and was able to download Visual Voicemail and use it without any issues.

fitchalcyone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site

I recently bought an Australian variant of the 930. I was expecting my visual voicemail not to work, but surprisingly it did without me having to do a thing.

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Exactly. Right now my wife is using a Lumia 635 from AT&T, and I've got a Country Variant 635. She can dial the number to get the Data balance in an SMS, and I can't, even though both accounts are on the same AT&T account. She gets visual voicemail, and I don't. It's because of the variant number. She's on RM-975_1035, and I'm RM-975_1043.

It's not that AT&T can't offer those services on these "Bring Your Own Device" devices, they just punish you for not buying it from them because they want the extra profit from selling you the device. That's my opinion, whether right or not.

I'm surprised to hear that. I have a Lumia 925 from T-Mobile that's unlocked that I'm using on AT&T. I have visual voicemail working flawlessly. Before I switched, I asked the store rep if AT&T would support visual voicemail; she gave me an empty blank expression on her face and had no clue what that was. She even showed me that her iPhone 5s didn't have visual voicemail on it.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Just phone at&t and ask them to provision visual voicemail. Are you sure that won't work?

I've tried for several weeks to get dialing *DATA# to work where it will report my data usage back with a text message. It worked fine until I unbranded the phone. Continued working on my wife's phone. After finally giving up with customer service and the reps in the store on this one, I haven't tried to talk to customer service about it in the last 5 days. Suddenly, today, it has started working again. ?!?

So, with *DATA# working again, I tried Visual Voicemail again. It now works.

Perhaps if I would have had them "provision" it properly to start with, it would have all worked from the start. I'm not sure why the reps could not help assist me in this before, other than the particular ones I had were not exactly helpful nor did they seem competent. I've had a few reps that were great in the past, and wish there was a way to request the same rep again.

Perhaps it just didn't get entered properly when I called the first time to get my phone provisioned for my new IMEI number. Someone didn't set it up right on AT&Ts end, probably had an audit due to my large number of calls to customer service, and someone finally got it fixed. I really don't know what happened. Glad it's working again.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Interesting, I have never had to call AT&T "to get my phone provisioned for my new IMEI number" - just plug the sim in and go.
If it isn't their variant, then it has to be properly provisioned to work with their features. If you buy a no contract AT&T branded phone, then it's just plug and go with the SIM.

However, if you're upgrading a phone from 4G to LTE, it won't work with LTE until you get them to provision it for the more capable phone. You can go down in capabilities, but not up until the SIM is provisioned to work with the more capable IMEI.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Called AT&T about Visual Voicemail for my unlocked 640xl and was told to go to the Play store and download it. :p
After explaining why that was not possible, I was then told that it was also not possible to get it for my phone. Oh well...

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Called AT&T about Visual Voicemail for my unlocked 640xl and was told to go to the Play store and download it. :p
After explaining why that was not possible, I was then told that it was also not possible to get it for my phone. Oh well...

You talked to a rep that didn't know what he/she is talking about. I was told the same thing about an unlocked 635 once. Once I had a different rep that knew what needed to be done (in the actual corporate AT&T store), it only took a few minutes to get it working.

My new country variant 635, unlocked, is even using Visual Voicemail on AT&T now. Yes, it is possible. You need to speak to a rep that actually knows what they are doing. So few seem to. You'll have better odds in a corporate brick and mortar store.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
You talked to a rep that didn't know what he/she is talking about. I was told the same thing about an unlocked 635 once. Once I had a different rep that knew what needed to be done (in the actual corporate AT&T store), it only took a few minutes to get it working.

My new country variant 635, unlocked, is even using Visual Voicemail on AT&T now. Yes, it is possible. You need to speak to a rep that actually knows what they are doing. So few seem to. You'll have better odds in a corporate brick and mortar store.
Yeah, I figured out quickly that this person was not quite getting what I was trying to explain. I'll give them another call soon. Most likely, I'll take your advice and had into an actual store. Thanks.

Sent from my C6806 using Tapatalk

jtshorns

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
The reason visual voicemail doesn't work on the other 640XLs is because most are dual sim.....seems to be a limitation of windows phone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb