ATT Lumia 950 & Ford Sync, how can I get it working together?

Chuck Foltz

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
ATT Lumia 950 & Ford Sync

Has anyone else noticed issues with Bluetooth Audio on Ford Sync. Not the Touch Sync but the F150 Sync. When I am playing music some songs are extremely low volume. If I hit next and then prev after a couple tries it will be normal. Not sure whats causing this as it works fine with Apple and Android devices.

cowboy6201

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Re: ATT Lumia 950 & Ford Sync, how can I get it working together?

Sorry can't help working fine on my " my ford touch" in my 2013 escape.

fuzzed1

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

Works great on my 2015 Explorer, actually better than it did with w8.1.

I removed my old phone connection and simply paired the 950. Everything works great and even Sync reads messages before it was just Cortana now both do.

After it is paired your BT volume (*on the phone) is different than normal volume and you need to turn it all the way up then use your car's volume. Every so often the phone will give you a warning that it may cause damage to your ear and reset it back to 15. Just adjust it again.

If this isn't working try removing the connected device from your car and adding it back again. You may also need to adjust the BT profile on your phone but I doubt it.

jayk82

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Re: ATT Lumia 950 & Ford Sync

I'm having a lot of problems as well with my 2015 F150. I've had to uninstall and reinstall 6 times already. Every few days my truck fails to find my 950XL and have to repair it. Very frustrating.

quincymac

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site

I found the phone paired very easily with Jeep Uconnect; but, the quality of the connection was absolute crapola...the Bluetooth stack needs some work, just in general. Seems like the folks on insiders updates are getting a stack update, hopefully it will pass muster and be sent out to 950 users soon...

Chuck Foltz

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site

OK so I can confirm all is resolved in the Insider Fast ring .29 build. Works flawless now. So I guess its fixed in that Bluetooth fixes...

Hoku001

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site

I have a ATT branded 950. I also have a Ford Cmax with Sync and MyFordTouch. Since I got this phone, I've had a lot of issues connecting to the car via Bluetooth. Most times it simply won't connect. I used to have a 1020 that I've used well with this car since I got it. My 1020 would hook up to the car's Sync every time without fail.

When the 950 does connect, Cortana and Sync battle it out when text messages come in, with both wanting to control the process (with the 1020, Sync would allow Cortana to handle everything). Either way, the ability to use the phone with my car is severely hampered:

Hearing text messages usually don't work. If I say "read it" most times the call just ends.
Replying to text messages doesn't work at all - probably because i can almost never get the car/phone to read the messages in the first place.
Initiating a phone call via Sync is ok.
But many times I used to tell Sync to "call cortana" and have cortana do the heaving lifting...this doesn't work well anymore.
I haven't been able to really test the music via bluetooth function because I can't connect to the car well enough to do so.

The other variable is I have a MS Band, which is also hooked in to the phone via Bluetooth. Maybe the Band is messing with Sync. I'll have to test turning off my band when I get into the car to see if it makes a difference.

So far, the 950 (or maybe it's a Windows 10 thing) used with Ford Sync, is a huge step backwards. Anyone else seeing similar issues? Possible fixes?

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site

Make sure you have the latest update for the phone. There are BT fixes in it.

phantom404

May 14, 2012
Visit site

I just purchased a 2016 ford fusion hybrid with sync (not mytouch) and so far everything seems to be working fine. I can listen and reply back to text along with listening to music thats on the phone. I'm using the insider program on the 950 with the latest build.

Hoku001

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site

Make sure you have the latest update for the phone. There are BT fixes in it.

I did get and install the W10 mobile update that was issued yesterday. The update didn't change my BT problems with my Ford.

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site

Sorry it didn't work for you. I saw another thread where a poster indicated that it sorted his sync problems with ford.

jayk82

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Re: ATT Lumia 950 & Ford Sync

So far, mine has stayed connected for two days in a row. Seems the update has fixed my issues.

Hoku001

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site

Update: After installing the recent .29 update, I was still having connection issues between my Ford and 950 via BT. I decided to delete the BT connection from my phone (and car) and start all over.

Once paired, I've been able to connect consistently, so far... It's only been a day, so I don't know if this"fixed" my problem, or if I've only been lucky the past few times I've driven in the car. But so far it's connecting again.

Also interesting, so far, my phone/car is no longer offering to read incoming text messages. I get an on screen notice in the car's touch screen of an incoming text. At this point, I much preferred the way my 1020 interacted with Ford Sync.

jonwright

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site

For what it's worth, I upgraded my 920 to Windows 10 and now I'm seeing the same problems with Sync in my 2014 Focus with texts that you described: if I say "read it" most times the call just ends and replying often doesn't work. So perhaps a Windows 10 issue and not a 950 issue?

anachrotech

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site

I have a ATT branded 950. I also have a Ford Cmax with Sync and MyFordTouch. Since I got this phone, I've had a lot of issues connecting to the car via Bluetooth. Most times it simply won't connect. I used to have a 1020 that I've used well with this car since I got it. My 1020 would hook up to the car's Sync every time without fail.

When the 950 does connect, Cortana and Sync battle it out when text messages come in, with both wanting to control the process (with the 1020, Sync would allow Cortana to handle everything). Either way, the ability to use the phone with my car is severely hampered:

Hearing text messages usually don't work. If I say "read it" most times the call just ends.
Replying to text messages doesn't work at all - probably because i can almost never get the car/phone to read the messages in the first place.
Initiating a phone call via Sync is ok.
But many times I used to tell Sync to "call cortana" and have cortana do the heaving lifting...this doesn't work well anymore.
I haven't been able to really test the music via bluetooth function because I can't connect to the car well enough to do so.

The other variable is I have a MS Band, which is also hooked in to the phone via Bluetooth. Maybe the Band is messing with Sync. I'll have to test turning off my band when I get into the car to see if it makes a difference.

So far, the 950 (or maybe it's a Windows 10 thing) used with Ford Sync, is a huge step backwards. Anyone else seeing similar issues? Possible fixes?

Have you updated your Sync software? There is a December update.. I had the same problems with my HTC 8X (8.1) prior to this phone. After I purchased the 950, I updated my Sync software, then paired the new phone. It's been working flawlessly. (2013 Fusion with Sync and MyFordTouch).
If you do the Sync update, delete the phone in Sync and the sync setting on your phone prior to updating. Then after the update, add the phone.

Last edited:

anachrotech

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site

How do you get to download the update manually (the one from Ford that is)?
I got the downloads from syncmyride.com - registered when I purchased the vehicle. There is an August and a December update to Sync. I download the update to a flash drive and install it in the car from its USB port. Automobile has to be running during the entire install.
You could also have a Ford dealer update the software.

Last edited:

Hoku001

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site

I got the downloads from syncmyride.com - registered when I purchased the vehicle. There is an August and a December update to Sync. I download the update to a USB and install it in the car from its USB port. Automobile has to be running during the entire install.
You could also have a Ford dealer update the software.

I haven't had a chance to get this update from Ford, but I'd like to give it a try.

It's now been a few days since I re-paired my 950 to my car and I'd like to report that I'm probably batting around 50% - half the time the car and phone won't pair up. I'm doubtful that the update from Ford will do anything as I'm sure the problem lies with the 950 and/or Windows 10 Mobile's Bluetooth stack. I say this because I've not had an issue connecting other phones (including earlier windows phones) to my car - additionally, my 950 is pretty spotty with ALL BT connections - to my Band2, speakers and headphones - where my older phones have not had problems.

I guess we'll have to wait for MS to fix this.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Sync is iffy and it seems to vary from car to car and phone to phone - even iPhones & Androids. I rent cars weekly, I had a Ford Edge one week that wouldn't connect to anything, the next week I had another Edge that would connect to iPhone and WP but not Android... and I've had various other similar scenarios with Sync.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)