Bad MS phones on eBay!

dmunfone

Jul 8, 2017
Visit site
I just found out that the 950 XL I bought on eBay (purportedly 'new in box'), is some kind of prototype or developer model, with an invalid product code that makes updating the firmware impossible (or near impossible), and that it was never intended to be sold to the public.

I didn't buy a new phone to start experimenting with spoofing the PC to get firmware updates.

If I were looking at a MS phone on eBay, I would ask the seller to give me the product code of the phone in the listing, and then search that to make sure it's a real phone, meant for sale to the public.

dmunfone

Jul 8, 2017
Visit site
Use WDRT and get on factory firmware. I hope you at least got a sweet deal.

That's the main problem - there is no firmware package for this product code, so I can't update it and it's kind of buggy.

And with a product code that is unknown, I'm not comfortable using any method to spoof the code and load other firmware onto it.

dmunfone

Jul 8, 2017
Visit site
Prototypes are often worth more than normal phones given their rarity/value to collectors so you may want to keep/sell it if it is one! Does it say anywhere on it that it is such, if not visibly then anywhere inside the back cover/under the battery etc? Usually an actual prototype will have indications somewhere that it is.

Some members on a Windows forum have suggested that, based on the weird product code, that it's either a dev or prototype phone. So we don't really know that for sure.

Other than the oddball PC, there is a silver foil sticker on the back, just below the PC and IMEI sticker that has green letters on it, "YE". I have searched for pics of these phones, and haven't found another sticker like that.

WP_20170709_10_21_42_Rich.jpg

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Seller has said they will send me return labels to ship it back, but until I get my money back I'm still slightly worried.
Per eBay rules, the seller is not obligated to issue a refund until the buyer returns the item and it starts being tracked. Once the tracking shows the seller receiving the item the clock starts and they have 4 days to issue a refund. If they don't, you elevate the issue and believe me, eBay WILL issue the refund.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Seller has said they will send me return labels to ship it back, but until I get my money back I'm still slightly worried.
As fatclue said, it's fairy standard.

I just bought and returned a Moto G5 Plus just last week (and before that with other parts) and the policy just like you described. Gadget was shipped back (whether on seller or buyer's dime varies) and refund was issued a day or so after arrival.

dmunfone

Jul 8, 2017
Visit site
As an update, I just took the chance and forced another product code's firmware onto the phone, and it's working beautifully so far.

Might have to cancel the return, but we'll see.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Can you even return it after doing something like that?
Technically, if you do anything to any item that's not what you bought, you own it. A few years ago people were bricking phones trying to root and so forth then trying to return them. Some vendors weren't too savvy and got shafted by scammers but I've always taken pictures of IMEIs, build versions, etc. for my own protection.

Sent from my Galaxy S8+

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That's the main problem - there is no firmware package for this product code...

Yes, I could always just flash the old firmware back onto it...

How you gonna flash that old firmware onto the phone again when it does not exist? LOL

Actually it does exist if the phone is a prototype, but you can't get to it unless you sign into the correct Microsoft Server (for internal use only) with the proper, authorized credentials.

It amazes me that every time this comes up on the forum I suggest contacting Microsoft and the suggestion is completely ignored.

Technically prototypes always remain the property of Microsoft and can never be legally transferred. You've purchased stolen property and no amount of money paid can ever make it yours. At any time they choose, Microsoft could push a crippling update to every IMEI that is unaccounted for from their stable of prototypes and the persons holding those phones would have no recourse or remedy.

Enjoy.

dmunfone

Jul 8, 2017
Visit site
The old firmware exists on lumiafirmware.com, and I have a copy of it.

I don't know for sure if it's a prototype or what at this point, only that the PC hasn't been found on any resource I know of.

I've thought of the possibility of MS pushing an update that bricks the phone, but I really don't think they're paying that much attention to a discontinued phone at this point.

Thanks for the condescending reply!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The old firmware exists on lumiafirmware.com, and I have a copy of it.

I don't know for sure if it's a prototype or what at this point, only that the PC hasn't been found on any resource I know of.

I've thought of the possibility of MS pushing an update that bricks the phone, but I really don't think they're paying that much attention to a discontinued phone at this point.

Thanks for the condescending reply!
I think what he meant to say was that your question has come up on other parts of these boards. What that means is a simple search probably would've found the same results instead of starting a new thread. As a former moderator I understand the frustration of seeing multiple threads on the same subject. It was hardly condescending.

Sent from my Acer Liquid Jade Primo on mTalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serdezdezen