Battery issues - WiFi sense perhaps?

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Like many, I have having battery issues since 8.1. At first I just put it down to a new Windows install and the usual stuff a fresh copy does to set itself up. In particular the new search functionality would require an indexing to be complete. When that didn't sort it I then looked at the other posts.

I too was seeing the phone get quite warm while doing nothing. For the first few days after the update I was out of the country and roaming so data was off. I thought it might be Bing weather as I had the live tile set to show the weather for my current location. While I was away I what a commute of about 40minutes each way. I wondered if it was changing GPS locations and trying to update which was generating CPU activity. I also wondered if maybe Cortana was causing it. So, I disabled both and drove from Birmingham to London in the UK and the phone still got hot, especially if it was in my pocket.

Through all of this I had WiFi, location services and Bluetooth on. I figured I would wait until I got back to Canada where I am able to get a solid LTE connection and am used to getting 2-3 days of use with everything on. So I got home yesterday and was still seeing abnormal battery usage.

I then read a post here somewhere that suggested turning off wifi sense. It seems it might make a difference. After 9 hours still 78%. We shall see, but so far looks promising. Kudos to the original poster.

We should not have to turn off all the goodness in our devices to get decent battery life.

scholt34

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm in agreement, most of the issues with the phone are generated in some form or another from WiFi connectivity

Source: 2 different windows phones (one with WiFi enabled, one without) and entirely different; battery life, texting issues, call recieving issues, etc.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
This is preview software. It will have issues and problems. You use it at your own risk. I think your last sentence misses this perspective.

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
This is preview software. It will have issues and problems. You use it at your own risk. I think your last sentence misses this perspective.

I am aware of this being a preview. However I was speaking in a more broad context. People have been turning things off even on the released versions.

reded23

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Yes...WiFi sense was the one for me that was causing the massive drain on the battery. I spent a week turning this and that, on and off and finally deduced it was this new feature. I am really pleased now as I was nearly having to go back to 8.0. I wonder how MS missed this bug in their testing as it seems to be quite common. I'm sure they are reading these threads so lets hope they fix it soon as WiFi Sense is actually quite cool, I went to Las Vegas this week and with it on it would automatically connect to different hotels wifi without any interaction.

Toroto90

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
I've also noticed a severe drop in battery life after the 8.1 update. It's a preview though, so there's bound to be bugs. Can't be helped!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss