Battery Percentage question

indiW

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
I can't even imagine why MS band teams "forgot" even the basics of things,
I like to see some facility to manually add step/stride lengths, making counting and distance that bit more accurate.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

anon(9173271)

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
Pretty sure if you go do a walk / run with GPS enabled the band will calibrate to your stride length.

I tested this by first walking around my block without GPS.. The distance was off... Then going for a long walk with GPS.. Then walking around the same block again without GPS.. The second time without the distance was corrected.

devbent

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
I can't even imagine why MS band teams "forgot" even the basics of things,
I like to see some facility to manually add step/stride lengths, making counting and distance that bit more accurate.

We didn't forget it, I just lost an argument with the design team a long time ago. Eventually I managed to get it added to the charging screen.

The stride length thing is interesting, on products that support manual entry, a lot of people either don't enter it, or enter it wrong and the resulting distance numbers end up even worse than estimating leg length based on height. We choose to measure it from GPS instead, which works really well, but people have to know about needing to take at least 1 GPS run.

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Another option if you're using a windows phone is 'Pimp My Band'. It has an option to place a battery percentage tile on your phone. Not exactly a true 'live tile', but pretty close, as it updates whenever you unlock the phone.

Oops, didn't read Signal-to-noise's post. I really should read all the posts before replying! :winktongue:

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
We didn't forget it, I just lost an argument with the design team a long time ago. Eventually I managed to get it added to the charging screen.

The stride length thing is interesting, on products that support manual entry, a lot of people either don't enter it, or enter it wrong and the resulting distance numbers end up even worse than estimating leg length based on height. We choose to measure it from GPS instead, which works really well, but people have to know about needing to take at least 1 GPS run.

The whole stride length thing really highlights one of the limitations of tracking devices, imo. The problem is, which stride are you measuring? Walking, running at race-pace, jogging, running on a treadmill, at what pace? They can be quite different, which leads me to question the value of stride measurement.

anon(9173271)

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
GPS stride calibration should be accurate. I assume the band needs you to both walk and run at various rates to calibrate.

Being that it is 10 degrees out there I have only managed 1 GPS walk since picking up the band 2 last weekend! Hoping it at least calibrated walking stride from that!

indiW

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your respond as said before as a forum member I am very happy that you are supporting us and liaising with your development teams.

I know I have been rather negative with my posts ? I just feel that MS band has a huge potential but subjectively feel very little has been put to good use hence the kind of negativity.

As you pointed out Band is very much accurate running with GPS on ? however, it seems *extremely inaccurate in relation to keeping up with Treadmill running and speed variations.* If your team can get this corrected it will be a big support for the people who are not fortunate enough to live in *all year round sunny California. Right now where I live is around -2c.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire