Battery question

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I'd be careful of putting in a non-Nokia battery personally.

As long as the current and voltage outputs are the same than it's a non issue.

The main issue could be the battery blowing up.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Generally speaking, they build the biggest battery they can fit into a smartphone. So, it is kind of a hardware limitation in that it's limited by the amount of room they leave for the battery when they design the phone.

You'd need to find a battery with higher Milliamp Hour rating, but the same voltage, the same connector and it has to fit in the case.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Above comments quite wrong. "they" don't put the highest capacity batteries in factory phones.

Go on eBay, look for "larger" batteries for your phone. Yes, there is no doubt some exaggeration, but my experience is that those claiming more capacity have it, or at least, a lot more.

Best of all, they are cheap. Not much of a gamble. And let me add, I've been "into" rechargeable battery engineering for over thirty years. I pretty well know NiCad, NiMH, and Lith Ion technologies.

A little know fact is that if you discharge your NiMH or Lith Ion battery as low as it will go, and recharge it three times, you will find extra capacity. Run your phone down until it shuts off. Wait five or ten minutes, reboot it. It will die again in moments. Do that three times.

An "unexercised" battery will not flex to its capacity.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Above comments quite wrong. "they" don't put the highest capacity batteries in factory phones.

Go on eBay, look for "larger" batteries for your phone. Yes, there is no doubt some exaggeration, but my experience is that those claiming more capacity have it, or at least, a lot more.

Best of all, they are cheap. Not much of a gamble. And let me add, I've been "into" rechargeable battery engineering for over thirty years. I pretty well know NiCad, NiMH, and Lith Ion technologies.

A little know fact is that if you discharge your NiMH or Lith Ion battery as low as it will go, and recharge it three times, you will find extra capacity. Run your phone down until it shuts off. Wait five or ten minutes, reboot it. It will die again in moments. Do that three times.

An "unexercised" battery will not flex to its capacity.

Wrong. Ni-cad and Li-Ion batteries are vastly different. Deep discharging cycles for li-ion batteries shorten it's overall lifespan. How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

If you want to quickly charge your battery to full then put it in the microwave for 60 seconds

And don't stick your phone in the microwave.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Wrong. Ni-cad and Li-Ion batteries are vastly different. Deep discharging cycles for li-ion batteries shorten it's overall lifespan. How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries -.

Of course they are vastly different. But that doesn't mean that "exercising" them doesn't work for each technology. Both technologies are vastly different from lead-acid, and in the latter's case, deep discharging a modern no-maintenance battery does kill it. Not exactly kills it, but it sure reduces future capacity.

Probably a lot of the mythology surrounding "over" discharging is related to NiCad and NiMh types (and they are cousins, if you will.) Without proper controls, you can discharge to such a point that the polarity flips! And at this time, the battery is ruined.

However the days of uncontrolled charging and discharging are way behind us. Lith-ion batteries absolutely must have controlled charge and discharge or they do nasty things like explode. The controller chip may be built into the battery, like Sony Info-Lithiums in a camcorder, or they may be built into, for instance, your phone. Regardless, ALL current battery systems are controlled, whether it's your DeWalt drill or your cell phone. (Excluding your car's lead acid, here.)

The bottom line is that you cannot "over" discharge, OK?

Of course the bumble bee can't fly, either, according to the engineers. I'm not an paper endowed engineer, but I think thirty years of experience and experimenting would give me creds. Certainly more than someone who, you know, like, read something once but never built battery packs and systems.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077