BBC iPlayer now available for WP8 devices

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Seems pretty low quality stream,, cant see a HQ/HD button?

It is pretty poor - kinda like I was recording it on my phone by pointing it at the tv.

Don't get me wrong though Its a good app for people that will use it though and its nice that its a proper app rather than just a link to web services.

Now if only I watched programmes on bbc I might make use of it.

Dazzi

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
It's okay and I'm grateful for the app.

However, the design is awful. What happened to the modern design language, I can't even swipe left or right? I have to press everything -- not ideal.

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Finally! Now they just need a good BBC News app......

Video quality seems reasonable to me, any more and you'd struggle over a 3G connection. I agree with the interface comments though, it is certainly not 'designed' for Windows Phone 8, seems horribly close to an iphone port.

Dazzi

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
It is pretty poor - kinda like I was recording it on my phone by pointing it at the tv.

Don't get me wrong though Its a good app for people that will use it though and its nice that its a proper app rather than just a link to web services.

Now if only I watched programmes on bbc I might make use of it.

I agree the picture quality is poor.

However, if it's anything like the iPlayer on the net, then your broadband has to be above a certain speed to be able to watch programs in HD. I've never understood this because I watch Youtube videos in HD, but I'm unable to watch HD on iPlayer -- think I need to go back to fibre optic broadband lol

Dazzi

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Finally! Now they just need a good BBC News app......

Video quality seems reasonable to me, any more and you'd struggle over a 3G connection. I agree with the interface comments though, it is certainly not 'designed' for Windows Phone 8, seems horribly close to an iphone port.

I totally agree about the iPhone port -- maybe they have done this, to see how many people install the app. And if enough people do install, they might put more effort in terms of design for the next update?

Gorki247

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
It's okay and I'm grateful for the app.

However, the design is awful. What happened to the modern design language, I can't even swipe left or right? I have to press everything -- not ideal.

It's just a wrapper of the BBC iPlayer mobile optimized website. They said that this was the approach they were going to take, so it is as expected and better than nothing at all. I don't think we should get our hopes up for a dedicated app anytime soon.

Here's the official update from the BBC:
BBC - Blogs - Internet blog - BBC iPlayer launches on Windows Phone 8

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb