Best PDF viewer/reader for Windows 8/RT?

Sam Not Spam

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I want to get a tablet for my gaming PDFs through DriveThruRPG and the like. Usually they're a bit big, but its easier to carry digital than it is several pounds of bulky books!

What are the PDF viewers/readers for Windows 8/RT? Features, performance, whatever. Sell me on your favorite.

I keep hearing about the iOS-only Goodreader being ideal, so the better it compares to that, the better :)

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Mercule

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Bump.

This is one of my big issues with the Windows RT/Windows Phone ecosystem -- and a huge reason why I might still get another iPad, down the road. My iPad pretty much got me to the point where dead trees were, well, dead to me. I get a ton of computer books in PDF format. The Kindle app on iPad was fantastic for this (as a side-effect, Amazon made themselves my go-to vendor for e-books).

The Adobe app is mostly fine, but it drives me nuts that it doesn't remember my location. I understand that's not the role Adobe intended for their app. I just would really like to have somethinat that fills that niche. Mostly, I think I'm ticked at Amazon for having such a sub-par app on the platform and​ not letting me send my documents to WP/WRT.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I want to get a tablet for my gaming PDFs through DriveThruRPG and the like. Usually they're a bit big, but its easier to carry digital than it is several pounds of bulky books!

What are the PDF viewers/readers for Windows 8/RT? Features, performance, whatever. Sell me on your favorite.

I keep hearing about the iOS-only Goodreader being ideal, so the better it compares to that, the better :)

I'm still having a hard time understanding this fascination with apps. If you get a W8 device, just install Adobe XI like you would on a desktop and set it as your default PDF reader.

Mercule

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm still having a hard time understanding this fascination with apps. If you get a W8 device, just install Adobe XI like you would on a desktop and set it as your default PDF reader.
I'm not overly concerned about apps. I want a specific piece of functionality: An e-reader that can be used with PDFs and remembers me location, no matter how many other books I flip through.

The iPad got me to a point where I really don't care about dead-tree books for things like computer books or game rules, and only rarely for other books. It's not uncommon for me to be reading 3-4 books, concurrently: a fiction book for myself, keeping up on what my teenager is reading, a computer book, and maybe a game book (I rarely game, anymore, but still get a kick out of seeing what's on the market). Both Adobe and the built-in PDF reader do a reasonable job of tracking a single book. As soon as I have to open a form for school, work, etc., though, my place is lost.

Honestly, the Kindle app on iOS is almost perfect for what I want -- including not being the default for "minor" (i.e. non-book) PDFs, upload docs via the cloud, and intermingling my PDF and ePub formats freely. I really just want the full functionality of that app on Windows RT.

Hannes Bez

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
I would recommend our app, Xodo. It?s a new app on the Windows market, but it's getting a lot of traction.

I'll just copy and paste directly from our store:

Xodo is the ultimate cross-platform PDF viewer and annotator. And it?s 100% free.

Powerful, fast, and optimized for all phones and tablets, Xodo?s mobile app makes it easy to work with even the most complex PDF documents. You can:

- View & Navigate
- Annotate & Comment
- Sign & Fill Forms
- Sync with Dropbox & Share
- Organize & Manage Documents

Real-time PDF Collaboration (NEW) | Take your PDF beyond the app with Xodo Connect and collaborate with clients, colleagues, or classmates in real-time from any web browser. Work from any device, mobile or desktop - no signups or installs required.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site

I use Adobe XI a lot for making PDFs. but as a PDF viewer, it's not great. When I'm doing a presentation and flipping through pages, Adobe XI sucks. They've added a touch mode but the touch mode sucks.

mustbepbs

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
I would recommend our app, Xodo. It?s a new app on the Windows market, but it's getting a lot of traction.

I'll just copy and paste directly from our store:

Xodo is the ultimate cross-platform PDF viewer and annotator. And it?s 100% free.

Powerful, fast, and optimized for all phones and tablets, Xodo?s mobile app makes it easy to work with even the most complex PDF documents. You can:

- View & Navigate
- Annotate & Comment
- Sign & Fill Forms
- Sync with Dropbox & Share
- Organize & Manage Documents

Real-time PDF Collaboration (NEW) | Take your PDF beyond the app with Xodo Connect and collaborate with clients, colleagues, or classmates in real-time from any web browser. Work from any device, mobile or desktop - no signups or installs required.

I can't recommend Xodo enough. I use it twice per week for Bible study and it works perfectly. Easy to highlight and mark PDFs while being able to manipulate annotations is awesome. The only thing I'd like to see is an easy way to categorize or keep my PDFs in order, like a bookshelf on Mantano Reader on Android. Love this app.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss