Bing straight from lock screen gone after update

glassadam

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Just a weird thing I noticed a few minutes ago... We used to be able to long press the "search" button while on the lock screen to go straight to Bing search without actually unlocking our phones, right? Well sometime over the course of the last couple of updates (either gdr2 or update 3, not sure as they were so close together), I lost that ability. No big deal since I never used it anyway, but I thought it was interesting nonetheless.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
It's always been a long-press of the Windows key, not the search key. Also, it only works if the setting to allow it from the lock screen is turned on in the Speech Settings page. Finally, if your phone has a PIN on its lock screen, the feature is blocked until the phone is unlocked.

glassadam

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Strange, I very strongly seem to remember long press of search to go straight to Bing. The window pane slid up automatically and everything.

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
You're right that it is the search key that will take you there from the lockscreen. Long press Windows Key on lockscreen = Voice Commands, long press Search Key on lockscreen = Bing. The function is still there for me, and I'm on GDR3. Are you sure it wasn't accidently disabled? Go to Bing, select the "..." and choose "settings," and then check and see if "Allow search button from lock screen" is checked.

glassadam

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
You're right that it is the search key that will take you there from the lockscreen. Long press Windows Key on lockscreen = Voice Commands, long press Search Key on lockscreen = Bing. The function is still there for me, and I'm on GDR3. Are you sure it wasn't accidently disabled? Go to Bing, select the "..." and choose "settings," and then check and see if "Allow search button from lock screen" is checked.
Holy crap that's the solution! I must've accidentally ticked off the setting (I didn't even know there was a setting). It works now, mystery solved. Thanks, Joester09! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss