Bluetooth Confusion

txkimmers

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I just changed to a 640 from my 925, and it's great...except for the bluetooth with my car. I have only the most rudimentary understanding of how bluetooth works, so I am hoping someone can give me some insight as to why bluetooth functioned perfectly with my 925 and doesn't do so very well with my 640. I am assuming that something in the software (bluetooth stacks? Is that the correct term?) has changed with the 640, but I wish I could understand exactly what has changed. It's frustrating to know that there is isn't a patch or a driver that I can install on my phone to fix the situation.

Just FYI, I am driving a Subaru, and I have cleared out my 925 from the music system's memory and had it search for and find/save my 640. When I turn on the car and set the audio to BT-A, it looks for my device, but it fails to find it. I invariably have to go into the bluetooth settings on the phone and tell it to connect to the car. This sometimes takes one try, other times as many as seven tries. I have no idea why this number of attempts varies, but I can't help but remember back in the day when my 925 would hook up to the car every single time without exception :straight:

Even more confusing--I swapped back to my 925 and when I got in my car, it hooked up to the phone right away, despite the fact that the 640 is the device that is "saved" in the music player. I didn't have to re-pair them at all. So there's that too.

I rely so much on my phone for audio books, podcasts and xbox music, I am going to stick with my 925 and keep the 640 as a backup. But I still want to know why this is the way things are. Anyone have any info for me?

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Inbuilt car Bluetooth can often be finicky ie works fine with one phone and not another, even with the same OS. I have noticed my Lumia 640 does take a while before it connects automatically.

I did however notice a glitch recently that seems a little deja vu in that I noticed the bluetooth volume on my Lumia 640 wasn't changing the volume output in my car. I rebooted and it was fine. I'm sure I remember this happening on my Nokia 521 when I used to use it.

txkimmers

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Hmm--when you say "a while", how long is that--a minute, or longer? And if my car tells me "no device" after trying to find it, is it going to try again? Seems like it doesn't and that is when I find myself manually connecting. Maybe I need to just wait longer.

I will say that the range on the 640 is pretty wowser-- When sitting in a parking lot or in my driveway, it finds devices well beyond the confines of my car.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I timed it today. It varies but so far it's been up to about 40 seconds. It will display the loading dialog after about 15 seconds and it will then display "No Device Connected" until my music player starts.

philhightech

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
I am also coming from a 925. The bluetooth in my Honda worked perfectly with the 925 and other devices as well. It took a few tries for the initial pairing with the 640 which was frustrating but not the end of the world. The significant issue I have is frequent disconnects on both phone calls and audio streaming.

txkimmers

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I waited a longer period and no go, still have to manually connect on the 640. I just installed the 10 preview build yesterday on the 640 and still had to manually connect but it did happen very fast. I don't think 10 is going to make much difference but that's ok (I guess).

@philhightech: frequent disconnects is much worse than having to manually re-connect. I really hope it's not a hardware issue, the 640 being a more mid-range phone with perhaps not as good a chip as the 925--but that is what I am starting to suspect.

Cygnific

May 12, 2015
Visit site
I lost audio connection to my navigation unit afer working fine from the start and i'm unable to fix it. Hard reset, wp10, soft reset, nothing helps. It works fine with wife's 640 dual sim. And my phone works with a bt soundbox.

voidcomp

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
Bluetooth is a bit wonky with my 640 also. Had to delete the bluetooth profile for my bt soundbox then have it scan again. Took a minute or so to re-discover it.

Diamond67

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
Ladies and gentlemen, one question: Does the keyboard of your phone work alright when bluetooth is activated? Mine doesn't. See the Disappearing keyboard -thread (cannot give you direct link because I am a Forum newbie, forum rules you know...)

For example, if I have opened google with my browser and goto phone settings and activate BT and switch back to browser to google I cannot type anything into the search box because keyboard won't show up at all. If I turn off the BT from phone settings the keyboard works alright.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulnipes