Bluetooth Tether/Internet sharing work on Lumia 635?

JuannyBooBoo

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone been able to get the Bluetooth sharing option to work on the Lumia 635 with Windows Phone 8.1?

I'm on Boost Mobile, and have been testing out the mobile hotspot feature (especially since it's supposed to be free, as of yesterday). I can get it to work w/ wi-fi Internet sharing, but I can't seem to get it to work over Bluetooth instead. I'd like to confirm that the feature even works.

I also tried getting a friend's Samsung laptop running Windows 7 to connect, and that failed. He was able to get his laptop connected over BT to his rooted Android phone's hotspot feature, so it's not his laptop that's the issue...

My setup:
Lumia 635 running Windows Phone 8.1
Boost Mobile (Where u at??)
Toshiba laptop running Ubuntu Linux 14.10 LTS

JuannyBooBoo

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Well, here's an answer to my own post:

Bluetooth tethering DOES work on the Lumia 635 on Boost... With the new plans, tethering is supposed to be included. I called up customer service and asked about it, and the guy slapped a $5 1GB add-on pack, w/o asking or telling me that he was. Sigh.

I had reinstalled Windows on my laptop, and the Wi-Fi tether works as advertised. In order to get the BT tether to work, I had to first pair the two devices. Then, I had to go to the Bluetooth Devices on my Windows laptop and choose to use my phone's "Personal area network."

Also, it seems that BT speed tops out around 2 Mbps, versus as fast as the LTE connection can go with Wi-Fi (I saw 10 Mbps+) .

Last edited:

kinky kitten

Apr 22, 2016
Visit site
Bluetooth Tether/Internet sharing work on Lumia 635

I am trying to use mobile hotspot thru boost mobile. When I try to turn it on I keep getting a msg stating that it's not part of my data packet. But I paid for hotspot before I found out that it was free now. And it shows up on my acct as being paid for. Customer service was useless. But as I was trying to make CS understand my issue, I realized that I am missing the set up icon on the mobile hotspot page. So any ideas? HELP

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett