Broke my 925 should I get a 930 or hold off?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

So I somehow smashed the screen on my 925. Should I get a 930 now or hold off for a new flagship? I can upgrade anytime between now and the end of June. Using my old 800 just now. Really not sure what to do as pretty much the day after my 925 was ordered the 1020 was announced, don't want to be in that boat again.
Thanks!

bradleymcc6

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
re:

I'd say if you can hold off definitely do, as Microsoft will bound to be offering a high end flagship sometime soon. I say this as the 930 is already quite an old phone, so we can be expecting a new high end Lumia to come with windows 10. Hopefully.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
re:

I'd hold off on a 930 as well at this point in time.

​At the most, I'd either get a cheap device to tide me over yet still have modern functionality like a Lumia 635.

Praxius

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
re:

Well I will be the odd one out and say go for it.

I started on the 800, upgraded to the 925 and then back in September or so I upgraded to the 930.

The comment about it being "quite old" isn't very accurate as it's not even a year old yet. It's the last high end that came out.

For me, I can see myself using this phone for another two years at least and it will handle anything Windows 10 can dish out compared to any current Lumias currently available..... Note that the 1520 has been discontinued by MS.

If you can wait for a new flagship with all the bells and whistles and can afford it, by all means.... But if you can't and your 800 is really showing its age like mine does, the 930 is a great option.

The only advantage the 925 has over the 930 is that it has Glance and that it takes slight better low light shots from my testing of both.... Though only slight. You will love the screen, the camera and the guts it has.

As a minor thing, I also noticed that my 930 isn't as slippery in the hands as compared to the 925. After the second day of owning my 925, it slipped out of my hand and onto my kitchen tiles and landing face down after a bounce. The screen was fine but unresponsive and the back plastic popped off from the frame on the corner where a dent in the frame existed. I got it back together and after about three hours I got it to run like normal again.

Haven't had that problem with the 930. It just kind of fits in the hand right.

I don't know about others but it's the best Lumia I have used so far.

I do understand where you are coming from about worrying about getting this phone and a new one coming out soon after.

When I went on contract with my 800, the 810 came out a month later.

When my contract was up, I got the 925 but before I did, I asked my carrier multiple times when the 930 was coming out but they didn't know. As my 800 was having screen issues when I made or received calls, I couldn't wait much longer so I got the 925. A month and a half later the 930 was released in Australia. I eventually bought an unlocked 930 and my 925 is a backup.

Though I also have a backup 625 & 630 testing W10.

My wife has a 1320 and my coworker has a 1020. Out of all of these devices, the 930 still tops them all.

As far as I am concerned, the 930 won't be showing its age for another 1-2 years. Hell it still out specs the iPhone 6 and if you check the specs online, your 925 is about par with the iPhone 6 in most categories..... The 930 will remain relevant for a while still.

The battery is also better than the 925.... By a little bit of course.

And then there's "Hey Cortana"

There are many in the WC community who swear by their 920's and that it's still a great phone today to the point where they don't consider upgrading to the 925, 928, 930 or the 1520.

I never really understood this until now as I kind of feel the same way about my 930.

Great Display and Resolution
Powerful CPU
Plenty of RAM
32GB storage is plenty for me
20MP Camera
4K Video with 5.1 Surround Sound
4 Microphones
Wireless Charging
Hey Cortana makes up for no Glance and only the 930 & 1520 have this very handy feature

The Next Flagship will need to have some spectacular specs to make me even consider upgrading my 930 at this point.

And a 0.4 or 0.5 extra MP in the camera isn't going to do it.

I can wait for biometric unlocking

An extra gig of RAM isn't needed at this point over my current 2GB.

Storage space is enough right now.

Put Windows 10 on my 930 and I'll be happy for a long time to come.

Last edited:

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
re:

I also see my 930 being relevant for me at least another year. Screen,speed,camera and "hey Cortana" make it a pleasure to use every day. Guess it all depends on how quickly you need a new phone. Even when the new one come out, they will be very expensive. I usually buy unlocked/off contract, so will be waiting. The 930 has it's quirks, like every other phone but it is (for me) a pleasure to use. It's also very reasonably priced right now.

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
re:

If you need a new phone now because your current one isn't working when you need it, waiting is always a bad idea unless there is a confirmed date for the "next" device.
Sent from my Lumia 830

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Suedezu

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I would repair the screen of the 925 and upgrade during autumn to the newly released WP 10 flagships.

I'm sure you can source the original screen and/or digitizer on Ebay or other mobile parts sites and have someone repair it for you.

Charles Brown8

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Well I will be the odd one out and say go for it.

I started on the 800, upgraded to the 925 and then back in September or so I upgraded to the 930.

The comment about it being "quite old" isn't very accurate as it's not even a year old yet. It's the last high end that came out.

For me, I can see myself using this phone for another two years at least and it will handle anything Windows 10 can dish out compared to any current Lumias currently available..... Note that the 1520 has been discontinued by MS.

If you can wait for a new flagship with all the bells and whistles and can afford it, by all means.... But if you can't and your 800 is really showing its age like mine does, the 930 is a great option.

The only advantage the 925 has over the 930 is that it has Glance and that it takes slight better low light shots from my testing of both.... Though only slight. You will love the screen, the camera and the guts it has.

As a minor thing, I also noticed that my 930 isn't as slippery in the hands as compared to the 925. After the second day of owning my 925, it slipped out of my hand and onto my kitchen tiles and landing face down after a bounce. The screen was fine but unresponsive and the back plastic popped off from the frame on the corner where a dent in the frame existed. I got it back together and after about three hours I got it to run like normal again.

Haven't had that problem with the 930. It just kind of fits in the hand right.

I don't know about others but it's the best Lumia I have used so far.

I do understand where you are coming from about worrying about getting this phone and a new one coming out soon after.

When I went on contract with my 800, the 810 came out a month later.

When my contract was up, I got the 925 but before I did, I asked my carrier multiple times when the 930 was coming out but they didn't know. As my 800 was having screen issues when I made or received calls, I couldn't wait much longer so I got the 925. A month and a half later the 930 was released in Australia. I eventually bought an unlocked 930 and my 925 is a backup.

Though I also have a backup 625 & 630 testing W10.

My wife has a 1320 and my coworker has a 1020. Out of all of these devices, the 930 still tops them all.

As far as I am concerned, the 930 won't be showing its age for another 1-2 years. Hell it still out specs the iPhone 6 and if you check the specs online, your 925 is about par with the iPhone 6 in most categories..... The 930 will remain relevant for a while still.

The battery is also better than the 925.... By a little bit of course.

And then there's "Hey Cortana"

There are many in the WC community who swear by their 920's and that it's still a great phone today to the point where they don't consider upgrading to the 925, 928, 930 or the 1520.

I never really understood this until now as I kind of feel the same way about my 930.

Great Display and Resolution
Powerful CPU
Plenty of RAM
32GB storage is plenty for me
20MP Camera
4K Video with 5.1 Surround Sound
4 Microphones
Wireless Charging
Hey Cortana makes up for no Glance and only the 930 & 1520 have this very handy feature

The Next Flagship will need to have some spectacular specs to make me even consider upgrading my 930 at this point.

And a 0.4 or 0.5 extra MP in the camera isn't going to do it.

I can wait for biometric unlocking

An extra gig of RAM isn't needed at this point over my current 2GB.

Storage space is enough right now.

Put Windows 10 on my 930 and I'll be happy for a long time to come.

I've got the Icon and I'll back everything said up in that post.... It will take one hell of a flagship to make me upgrade... 929 / 930 are fantastic phones and I expect to get another 2 years out of my 929 barring any accidents. I would buy the 930 in a heartbeat but thats just me and my opinion cuz I'd save some money have a great phone and be looking at some serious innovations in a flagship the end of 2016 or 2017...

I also have to add... the build is fantastic weight be dammed.. I held a friends S5 yesterday.... first droid I have touched since I got my icon and I literally felt like I was gonna crush it if I closed my hand. I hope microsoft does not lose the sturdy build of Lumias for sure in the future..

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers