Broken screen, any way to recover data without unlocking phone?

SwingLow

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
Hey all,

So I broke the screen of my HTC 8X last week. Not too big of a deal, I just bought a cheap Lumia 520 off of ebay and will deal with it until I can sign a new contract. Now the problem is, I disabled backup a while back (for god knows why, I see the mistake now) and was wondering if there was any way I could recover, at the very least, the photos on the phone. I've tried plugging it into my computer, which I had no luck with because I have to unlock the phone to be able to use it.

Any help, or am I just going to have to deal with the loss? Thanks!

EDIT: The phone itself does still work, it is only the screen.

Last edited:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Backup and auto-photo upload are separate options, any chance you left that enabled? It would be accessible at OneDrive.com if yes.

You could always try repairing the 8x with an el cheapo display if you need. to.

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
If it's extremely important you could buy new screen (or digitizer whatever its called) from the same eBay. Backup your files, and return the screen, say you don't need it))) I know this isn't answer you looking for but as long as I know there isn't any other way to get your files. (you are probably out of warranty by now)

SwingLow

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
Backup and auto-photo upload are separate options, any chance you left that enabled? It would be accessible at OneDrive.com if yes.

You could always try repairing the 8x with an el cheapo display if you need. to.

OneDrive doesn't have any of them. Plus I'm pretty certain that I disabled it manually.

If it's extremely important you could buy new screen (or digitizer whatever its called) from the same eBay. Backup your files, and return the screen, say you don't need it))) I know this isn't answer you looking for but as long as I know there isn't any other way to get your files. (you are probably out of warranty by now)

If it comes to it, looks like I will have to. Not sure if that'd work either, however, since the phone is pretty badly bent out of shape.

lawlorz

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
ok i just posted a thread about this as im in the same situation... cant see my thread appearing just yet though. but i figured my problem out.

if youve taken your sim card out of the broken phone to put in the new phone the first thing your phone will do on boot is display a warning that you have no sim card and an "OK" button... spam your fingers on the top portion of the screen until youre content youve hit the OK button and then youll be able to swipe up and enter your password by guesstimate.

i did this and got my phone unlocked and then had it plugged in to my pc for "project my screen" and am currently using it through the pc to do a full backup and save my pictures.

btw, i suggest using this time to remove the password from the device.

edit: its a close button, and its on the right side of the upper quarter of the screen.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster