Built in mic on ASUS laptop not working since install Windows 10, how can I fix it?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Built in mic on ASUS laptop not working since install windows 10

Installed public version of windows 10 on my ASUS laptop and now built in mic not working since. Settings all seem correct.

lvgandhi

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Re: Built in mic on ASUS laptop not working since install windows 10

My machine is Asus S400CA. When I select recording devices, I see headset microphone or desktop microphone(not in-built) or other(built into other devices). I could chat using skype ot hangout in win 8.1 before upgrading to win10. Now I am unable to do it. How to get inbuilt mic in to use?

Carlos002

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site

Guys go to Cortana, go for the Voice Icon and you'll get to activate the Mic! It'll show you a long phrase to pronounce, just read it and your Mic will be working again!

carlo_b

May 29, 2014
Visit site

I had the same problem after updating to Windows 10 my Asus S400.
Fortunately, It's now fixed. Just go to the Asus website and download the Audio driver (no Windows 10 driver yet, download the one for Windows 8.1). Install it then restart your laptop.

Anthony Ciapusci

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site

Pronouncing a long phrase doesn't always work to make the microphone work. I have repeated the same phrase multiple times, yesterday and today, to Cortana and nothing changes. I have also tried "set up a microphone" multiple times. Both methods are not hearing anything.

Emz379

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site

Same issue ironic that its just come back from being fixed today, i had issues with the mouse driver and two finger scrolling which keeps disappearing. It all went wrong after W10, having got my laptop back finally having a chance to play with W10 and Cortana to find the mic wasnt working, downloading driver now to see if it fixes the problem.

Barbara Leitch

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site

I had the same problem. You need to unistall the microphone/audio driver. Once you do that search for mic setting. then it will work.

maci dub

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site

installing the win8 drivers frrm asus got a mike to show up under recording devices on my ux303L, alas, it says "not plugged in" like a jack mike, grrr.

maci dub

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
ASUS UX303L, sold with win8; after win 10 update notice microphone missing from recording devices and device manager. Only Speakers (Conexant Smart Audio HD) under audio inputs and outputs. Under sound video and game controllers there was Conexant Smart Audio HD and some Nvidia virtual audio device. I downloaded and installed the newest win8 drivers from ASUS (win 10 STILL not available), this got me a "microphone" that was "not plugged in", like a jack mike on a desktop PC. I tried windows update, that did find newer drivers, but alas no change. Finally I uninstalled everything from Audio Inputs and Outputs and Sound, Video, and Game Controllers in Device Manager, checking the box to delete the drivers, and scanned for changes. This got me WORKING mic and speakers under the generic, in-box windows drivers, then it found new Conexant Smart AudioHD drivers (8/4/2015 8.66.16.52) under Sound, video, and game controllers and while i allowed the install with some hesitation, it did get finally get me functioning "Microphone Array (Conexant SmartAudio HD)" and "Speakers (Conexant SmartAudio HD)" under Audio inputs and outputs.

Hope this helps someone. Just wish ASUS would do the due diligence to post up a working version for win10.

Da Po

Apr 14, 2020
Visit site
Go to Settings > Sound

Scroll down to "Input", and click on the link "Manage sound devices", this link is located just below the "troubleshoot button".

Select from the Input Devices, your sound card/chip is listed under the "Disabled" list. (eg: Flipbook TP412AU = "Realtek(R) Audio")

And select the "Enable" button.

To test your built-in mic (while you are still on the "Sound" menu):
Select from "Input" drop-down list your sound card/chip.
Click "Device properties"
Click the "Test" button, and say/sing/hum (or click your fingers) in to the mic, and you should now see the volume bar flicker with a thick blue bar over the thin line.

Go to your software/app and select the in-built mic to re-configure/ativate/test/etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)