But Microsoft, I like reading...

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
The Surface Go is being pushed primarily as a tablet. Sure, it has the keyboard and can do all that important productivity stuff, but with the Go, Microsoft is taking a real and meaningful swipe at the core tablet market.

They want this device to be used by consumers AND producers. They want you to watch videos, create documents, smash through the latest stupidity on 9gag while checking email and putting together excel spreadsheets, etc, etc.

It's a device that targets a much wider audience than traditional, productivity focussed Surface products.

But, what about people who like to read?

Several years ago, Microsoft announced an eBook reader (and accompanying bookstore), that would be a key feature in the Edge browser.

To date, this feature hasn't made it out of the USA.

Now, this wouldn't be so bad if there were a plethora of other well known, up-to-date eBook readers available in the Windows app store. But there isn't.

And this is where the Surface Go comes in.

This thing is going to arrive in Windows 10S. Anyone who switches this thing on for the first time and heads to the store to download Kindle is going to be mighty disappointed.

The Go is designed to consume media. It's designed for video watchers, light game players, music lovers AND book readers.

This thing is the perfect size for eBook reading.

How on earth can Microsoft launch a media consumption device without access to an eBook store? That's either an oversight or just plain ignorance on their part.

Microsoft, you announced the Edge eBook feature a long time ago. It's time. The market is there. The hardware is there. Please make it so.

kwickone

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
I too was concerned about reading on the Surface Go. I found a solution that "might" work for me. I read my books on Kindle. As there is no app for Kindle and Windows 10 S, I found that Amazon has a Web "app".

Goto: read dot amazon dot com. Sign in. I can now see all my Kindle book and I can even download them for offline viewing.

I have pinned this site to my start menu for easy access. In my initial test it appears to wok ok. I will continue testing.

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I too was concerned about reading on the Surface Go. I found a solution that "might" work for me. I read my books on Kindle. As there is no app for Kindle and Windows 10 S, I found that Amazon has a Web "app".

Goto: read dot amazon dot com. Sign in. I can now see all my Kindle book and I can even download them for offline viewing.

I have pinned this site to my start menu for easy access. In my initial test it appears to wok ok. I will continue testing.

That's most helpful, thank you very much for that.

With Amazon and Microsoft working more closely together these days, I'm surprised a Kindle app isn't in the store.

It's something Microsoft should address as a matter of urgency. The education sector needs devices that have access to e-reader software.

It's a real Homer Simpson "Doh!" moment for them to go chasing the school and college markets without an e-reader.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa