Buying a Lumia 930 in 2017 - an experience

Veehementia

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
So, I come from a Lumia 1520, that I bought on Amazon a week ago and that I had to send back because it simply was broken. Browsing the web for another Lumia to buy, my eyes stops upon this tiny wonder that is the 930. It was love at first sight.
Bought one from a friend for 130 bucks.
I never loved and used screens under 5'5 inches, but Windows Phone 8.1 and 10 scale so well on this device it's insane. There's really not much more to say, though. It's still a better flagship than the 950 even to this days, and if you're asking whether buy this tint beast or the new Microsoft so-called "flagship", well, now you know. I've gotta test the battery life better, but from what I've seen so far, it doesn't seem to be an issue at all. I'll update as soon as I test some more. LVBNR5 out, peace ✌

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
The 930 looks and feels better yes I agree but it sits as my tester phone only cause the 950XL is so much better camera... even faster but Lumia 930 with CU OS is admittedly pretty snappy. Still I choose 950XL... easier cause my 930 video mode mic is not working :(

Veehementia

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
The 930 looks and feels better yes I agree but it sits as my tester phone only cause the 950XL is so much better camera... even faster but Lumia 930 with CU OS is admittedly pretty snappy. Still I choose 950XL... easier cause my 930 video mode mic is not working :(

Sorry for your mic, man ;P
You know, i'm not a very camera-heavy user, so the camera point it's relatively interesting for me. But I do like to snap good photos from time to time, and for that, the 20mp camera of the 930 does its job well and without many problems. Besides, i wanted to try out a smaller device for once. The problem with the 950/950XL it's just that, at a first glance, you'd think the 930's the flagship and the 950's the mid-low range phone. Which isn't the case. And it's just something i can't pass over from the supposedly "Windows 10 Mobile native flagship"

Ejay Lozano

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 930/icon
cons:
-no continuum
-mic issues after upgrading to w10
-no expandable memory
-no glance (but double tap to awake is still offered)

Veehementia

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
Lumia 930/icon
cons:
-no continuum
-mic issues after upgrading to w10
-no expandable memory
-no glance (but double tap to awake is still offered)
True enough. I don't have any mic issue though, so I'm crossing my fingers for that one. And i'm on w10 so...
By the way, that's true, it doesn'toffer as much as it could have. Maybe even should have. But I tried both and in the end, the one that gave me a superior experience was the 930. It just feels better both in hand and on the go. Expandable memory is a bit of an issue, but more and more services are going fully cloud, and that helps greatly. Pretty mich everything you do with your phone is cloud now. And that's coming from a guy who until now never bought a phone under the 64gbs line. Nothing can be said to save Glance tho. It's a big defect and something really important. I can just say that, even if I miss it, it doesn't feel as bad as it should without it. The dt2w greatly helps.
About continuum... Well . I really can't see the usefulness of it at all. It doesn't mean it isn't a minus point, but I cant see how great of an impact it has. OS like W10S or Chrome OS can still do everything you need to do (or would do with a continuum powered device) even on very low end machines. It's nice to see one device adapt to be other ones at the same time, but isn't it just a slightly bigger version of the UI thought to be used with a mice and keyboard? I can't really talk too much about it tho, as I'm not informed about it as I should be and all of the above is just a personal opinion based on uncompleted information. Which doesn't even deserve much respect, now that I think about it. Hope you'll let me know your thoughts :)

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
@Ejay Lozano mic issue I feel is because of lumia denim firmware... many people had reported mic issue after that one. Not all users though.
@Veehementia you're right, the 930 still takes pretty good picture, for me I need the better low light performance. I didn't find that I missed Glance that much, double tap to wake more valuable to me. I still feel the better feeling phone is the Lumia 920 over the 930. Going back more, the N9 was fabulous :)

Veehementia

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
@Ejay Lozano mic issue I feel is because of lumia denim firmware... many people had reported mic issue after that one. Not all users though.
@Veehementia you're right, the 930 still takes pretty good picture, for me I need the better low light performance. I didn't find that I missed Glance that much, double tap to wake more valuable to me. I still feel the better feeling phone is the Lumia 920 over the 930. Going back more, the N9 was fabulous :)
Now that's just going too far, my friend! :)I'm new to the Lumia family, until now I've used Android and iOS, especially the first. My last phone was a Nexus 6P, that died due to the faulty battery that basically met its expiration date... But I was tired of the usual Android-iOS clone wars, to quote another user (if you read me: Thanks man, that comment was my final step to switch! :) and so far I'm really satisfied. The only Lumias I've tried are the 950, 930 and the 1520... But I loved every second of them. Just the 950's not as much as the other two's :/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon