Camera flash not working after Amber/GDR2 update

GamoZ

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Since updating my AT&T Lumia 920 to Amber/GDR2, the camera flash has stopped working. The focus light also no longer works and neither do other flashlight or camera apps. I have done a number of reboots and soft resets but nothing has resolved. Hesitant to do a full reset at this point.

Anyone else having this issue as well?
Any help or feedback is appreciated.

Phone Information:
Nokia Lumia 920 on AT&T
OS Version : 8.0.10328.78
Firmware Version: 3046.0001.1326.0003

wangvnn

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
same for me, cannot believe it, they roll out awesome camera that turns off my flash forever.
not sure what I did with the nokia pro cam, after that i can never turn on flash again.
let me know if you know any way to fix it. (920)
thanks guys

GamoZ

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Updated to GDR3 today and the issue is the same. Contacted Nokia Support and of course they suggest a full reset. Guess I'll give it a try

GamoZ

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Full reset didn't work, ended up going to local AT&T service center and got the unit replaced. I must say the staff there were less than enthusiastic about helping me and about Windows Phone in general. And in the AT&T next store, the only WP on display was the 520 Go Phone. What gives!?

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Full reset didn't work, ended up going to local AT&T service center and got the unit replaced. I must say the staff there were less than enthusiastic about helping me and about Windows Phone in general. And in the AT&T next store, the only WP on display was the 520 Go Phone. What gives!?

Windows phones only make up 3.5% of US sales and the majority of those are the cheap phones (520). They tend to concentrate on what the other 96.5 % want. Can you blame them?

Yakkob

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Mine has stopped working after the Nokia camera update yesterday. Have tried all sorts of resets.. Something is a bit screwy with gdr3, as the vibration stopped working for a couple of days and i did approx 5 soft resets before it was 'fixed'.. Anyone tried to change an led flash on a 920?

Edit: just ordered an oem red housing (already have red) and that includes the flash.. Seems to be the cheaper alternative method to taking it to a Nokia repair centre or contacting phones4u. ?16.90, seems like a good deal to me :)

Last edited:

Bighouse

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
Mine does this on occasion. Flash and focus light stop firing.

A fix (that has worked for me) is to go into settings, change something - ISO, white balance, anything - and save the settings. Then go back in and hit reset / default settings. Flash works. May not work for everyone, but I hope that helps.

Shai Petel

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Try this:
apply pressure on the flash with your finger,
then start the flashlight app (while pressure is still applied),
does the flash work?

If not: it is probably a software issue. I never seen a device with this case...
If it does work as long as you press it - it is hardware. There are 2 connectors behind the flash led that sometimes go flat and do not touch the flash anymore, disconnecting it.

Take it for repair, or take the cover off and bend them back up yourself, it should not be too hard but not sure if you do it yourself if you void warranty.

RickyFitts

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
I just tried what Shai Petel suggested and held the flash while using the flashlight app and it worked while applying pressure and immediately stopped when I released pressure. I guess that means I have a hardware issue. Thanks for the suggestion!

tatvagna

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Try this:
does the flash work?

If not: it is probably a software issue. I never seen a device with this case...
If it does work as long as you press it - it is hardware. There are 2 connectors behind the flash led that sometimes go flat and do not touch the flash anymore, disconnecting it.

Take it for repair, or take the cover off and bend them back up yourself, it should not be too hard but not sure if you do it yourself if you void warranty.

This really works...Thanks a lot! I guess I'll take it to a hardware guy :)

asupmdr

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I had this problem also. Trick to test is turning on the flashlight app while applying light pressure to the flash. If the app is already on, pressure will not help. Google taking apart a 920, and follow the directions in removing the plastic case. The actual flash will come off attached to the plastic, leave it alone. Find the two prongs on the phone that normally make contact with the flash, and pull them away from the board, giving more spring force to the flash. Reassemble, and voila. I thought this was related to my upgrade to the Black update, but it must have been coincidental, this is a mechanical issue, and probably a poor design by our Finnish friends. BTW, the correct (Finnish) way to pronounce Nokia is KNOCK-ee-ah. Here in US, most think its a Japanese name, and pronounce it NO-key-a

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Try this:
does the flash work?

thanks @shai petel, yup, it was a hardware issue for me. And the reason it occurred was those !@#$%^& heart pulse apps. Happened right after I installed and tested those apps. The apps require you to put your finger on the lens and flash and I guess I pressed too firmly trying to get a good reading. Never could get a good reading so I pressed harder. I'm going to follow @asupmdr and take my 920 apart and fix.

tacofiend

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks so much for the hint with this! I need to replace the USB flex cable in mine (I switched to a Nexus 5 a few months ago) but hopefully I can get the flash working again too. Aside from the wonky battery issues I was having (as soon as you took it off the charger it would show it was discharging even if you plugged it back in later, until you restarted it) that's the only thing stopping me from maybe switching back. Or at least having a good functional camera.

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Just took apart my 920 and fixed the flash per @asupmdr's post above. Couple of notes on the repair:

1) No Nokia sim card tray removal tool? Just use a paperclip end to remove the tray
2) View the several video's on "taking apart a nokia 920" to get a feel for removing the case from the chassis. IMO, start twisting the body at the corners where the T5 screws are located. Once the body is separated from the screen at a corner, insert a plastic putty knife and continue prying toward the other T5 corner. Once the end of the case is separated a little from the chassis, you now have enough room to start prying down the sides of the body. IMO, the video that suggests you start by prying down the sides is wrong. Even if you use a plastic pry device, you will not be able to avoid nicking the case or the screen. If you start at the bottom corners, you free enough space to pry safely down the sides. No nicks in my repair.
3) When bending the prong back, don't bend it into a 90 deg. vertical position. It needs a little angle so it can flex downward when the case is replaced.
4) Remove any heart pulse app. :smile: On a 920, firmly pressing the lens will bend the prong that makes contact with the flash just enough so it no longer makes contact after your finger pressure is removed.

My phone works like new now and you can't tell it has been opened. Good luck!

harry2heart

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I dont know whether its a hardware issue or S/W issue, but my Flashed stopped working after performing Nokia Cyan Update for my Lumia 920, can someone suggest me a workaround ? I tried all the test listed here and even performed Hardware test throught the Software, but nothing works.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I just tried to do this fix by bending the contacts. I'm confused as to which pieces to bend up. At first, my light would not come on by applying pressure to the LED. I tried to bend two identical brass colored prongs upward, but that didn't make a difference. There is a silver colored prong connected to a ring surrounding the camera lens hole. I bent that piece up slightly. Now the light comes on when I apply pressure to the LED, but goes off when I let go. Before I do any more bending, can someone clarify which part I'm supposed to bend?

Also, this is the second Lumia 920 I've tried to do a repair on (previous one was a broken screen). Both times, I've had issues with the power/volume/camera flex cable after reassembly. On the first phone, the volume up button acted like it was always stuck, even after replacing the flex cable. With my current phone, the power and camera buttons no longer work, but the volume buttons are fine. I was very careful opening the phone and don't think I tore the flex cable. Has anyone else had these issues from simply opening the phone?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel