Camera problem with amber update on both Lumia 820 & 720

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
A green tint and blur? Sounds like a broken phone, if a hard reset doesn't fix it. The Amber update will make the picture more grainy, not more blurry. Too much NR would make it blur, little NR shows up the grain. NR can be added later of course. It can't be removed though, so grainy is good.

A green tint? That sounds broken to me. Blurry? Sounds like a focus problem. Hard reset, then Nokia Care if it fails.

Also, for those who are getting blurry low light shots, this is because Amber ramps up ISO level more aggressively in low light. This will increase grain further and possibly give you a different colour experience. It will also blur loads if you don't hold VERY still. This is low light photography people. Learn how to do it properly or turn on the flash for point and click. Low light without flash requires an understanding of how cameras work or you will be disappointed with the results. Stop complaining or Nokia will take our toys away and give us a simple high NR camera with low ISO range for simple users with low understanding. Please don't push in this direction all for the want of a bit of reading.

Last edited:

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Anyone ever wonder if Nokia is doing this on purpose so that we can look forward to the "next great thing". I mean it's not like the phone can't take good images, but to the novice user, it would be a great way to snag someone into buying a Lumia 1020 with "Hey, does your 920 take crappy pictures? Get the 1020!", when indeed they very well COULD fix the problems we are experiencing. I say this because there is absolutely NO WAY Nokia could've tested these "camera fixes" without noticing how terrible the quality is; period. There is no way they could hold two devices (one with Amber and without), take pictures, and see just how TERRIBLE the quality is compared to the old.

Knowing they HAD to see this, push the update anyway, then hyping it up that it "improves photo-capturing capabilities" makes me really think they're trying to get their sale figures up for upcoming/current Lumia devices, especially seeing how the 1020 isn't selling well at all.

Only Mama Knows

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Everyone on this thread should email the following:
Stephen.elop@nokia.com

The poor camera quality after Amber is unacceptable for phones that are marketed largely based on their "high" camera quality. My photos are a soft yellow mess now. I emailed that address and received a quick response and they're sending me a new phone. I don't think it will make a difference b/c I think it's all software based, but we'll see. Just email that address and make sure they know that this is a legit and serious problem. They're still feigning ignorance.

Darth litku

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
These are not bugs. Learn how to use a camera. I am not being sharp with you, it indeed needs to be learned. Aggressive noise reduction is a bad thing, not a good thing. You can apply your own NR to the shot afterwards with ease. This is how it SHOULD be done. Nokia is one of the few makes that actually know how to make a phone camera properly.

Can you sugest an app that can reduce the noise in the picture? Thanks

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, not really. I'm sure there are some available, but I tend to post process on the PC so I can't recommend a WP app with confidence. Try to get one that allows you to manually control the level of NR applied.

nitiniit

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Facing same problem, i fade up yaar.. .What the hell is this. They don't even work in single area.....
Shame on you Nokia/Microsoft ....

Oranges123

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site

big kloppa

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
The numbers of users who have this camera issue post amber is alarming, however i am sure Nokia are aware of this and should be working on a fix.

I have followed suggestions in this post and other posts to try and fix this problem.

To those users who say that this amber update was meant to cause this (blur/colour/worse photo issue), and that users who are afflicted should 'learn how to use a camera and all the various iso/exposure/shutter speed settings', i think such comments are unhelpful.

I did not purchase my lumia phone based on 'an ability to access such settings' nor do i wish to study photography in such detail on a phone. I will save such photo-shoots for my DSLR Nikon camera. Despite that i tried various iso/shutter speed and exposure settings in various cam apps in my lumia 720 and the photos that are produced are not in any way similar to the quick, excellent photographic results i achieved pre-amber. The shots that are produced are noisier and not as sharp.

My fix! Back to GDR1. Problem solved and speedy excellent photo quality is back without post processing. When taking a picture now, what i see on screen is what gets saved.

Although it would be nice to keep improvements of glance/color adjustment, flip to silence and slightly quicker loading of apps, i can do without them!

shreadow

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The numbers of users who have this camera issue post amber is alarming, however i am sure Nokia are aware of this and should be working on a fix.

I have followed suggestions in this post and other posts to try and fix this problem.

To those users who say that this amber update was meant to cause this (blur/colour/worse photo issue), and that users who are afflicted should 'learn how to use a camera and all the various iso/exposure/shutter speed settings', i think such comments are unhelpful.

I did not purchase my lumia phone based on 'an ability to access such settings' nor do i wish to study photography in such detail on a phone. I will save such photo-shoots for my DSLR Nikon camera. Despite that i tried various iso/shutter speed and exposure settings in various cam apps in my lumia 720 and the photos that are produced are not in any way similar to the quick, excellent photographic results i achieved pre-amber. The shots that are produced are noisier and not as sharp.

My fix! Back to GDR1. Problem solved and speedy excellent photo quality is back without post processing. When taking a picture now, what i see on screen is what gets saved.

Although it would be nice to keep improvements of glance/color adjustment, flip to silence and slightly quicker loading of apps, i can do without them!

how did u go back to gdr1?

Abeer Fatima

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
hello everybody i have been following this thread for a while now and have been facing the sane problem since i ordered my lumia online. i even updated it to gdr3 but that has solved nothing except for the same dirty yellowish tinted photos and when i zoom that o god! dn't even want to talk about that please please if someone is listening help me
-should i contact nokia care center and give my device to them.
-should i wait for the lumia black update which is gonna be there in few days
-should i try to revert back my device from gdr3 to gdr1 (someone pls also post the method to do so)
- should i try a hard reset as many people are suggesting on other threads.
pls someone suggest me a solution i havnt even got a single good pic from my device camera
also i am attaching a pic to prove my point

WP_20140103_093[1].jpg

Abeer Fatima

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Hello,
I followed your post and even mailed Mr stephen but did not get a major response. You told that they are sending you a new phone.
Can u please tell me about it, have you a received a new device? Is the camera in it still the same? which software version is it carrying?
Please reply!

SamiSaifDine

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
try to take a picture and then directly take a screenshot of the pic taken .. you'll notice a Huge difference in the Res between the screenshot and the photo from the camera roll ... hope they fix it with BLACK

Ryan Seth

Dec 10, 2014
Visit site
Camera quality is still terrible after the Lumia Cyan Update. Photos are still blurry and grainy. Hope they finally fix this with the Lumia Denim Update.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
You keep believing.Even some lumia 920 images are crippled by Nokia updates.it is done for us to buy new phones.But I would wait till w 10 .
From Windows phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb