Can anyone explain why the settings "app" is laid out the way it is?

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
So I'm in the settings app and I'm a little confused as to why its laid out the way it is. Its not in alphabetical order. Some things are capitalized but most aren't. It's obviously not laid out in a "most used" way, because battery saver and phone storage are below "kid's corner".

Does it make sense to anyone? Wouldn't it be nice to be able to customize which order the settings show up in there so you could put the things you check the most near the top?

CaptDjob

May 11, 2012
Visit site
Never thought of this, but you are right, it is confusing. Luckily its not too often you have to go there. And yes, it would be nice to define your own order to that list.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
So I'm in the settings app and I'm a little confused as to why its laid out the way it is. Its not in alphabetical order. Some things are capitalized but most aren't. It's obviously not laid out in a "most used" way, because battery saver and phone storage are below "kid's corner".

Does it make sense to anyone? Wouldn't it be nice to be able to customize which order the settings show up in there so you could put the things you check the most near the top?

I've always thought this. It goes against the idea of WP being simple. The Settings menu is quite confusing.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Only brand names are capitalized in my settings: Bluetooth, WiFI and Beats Audio.

Well, that doesn't help the order much, but at least here I can see some consistency ;-)

Eh - "kid's corner" is an MS brand name, and it's not capitalized. Also would Wi-Fi really be a "brand name"? Being picky, I know, just honestly wondering how the settings app got this goofy.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Eh - "kid's corner" is an MS brand name, and it's not capitalized. Also would Wi-Fi really be a "brand name"? Being picky, I know, just honestly wondering how the settings app got this goofy.

I looked up WiFi on Wikipedia, at least there is some kind of Wi-Fi alliance with official logos (TM) and stuff. But I don't know, and your right, I didn't think about kid's corner, maybe... too many maybes. I don't know.

Well, probably they just copied the entries from Windows Phone 7, added kid's corner real quick and went on to do other important stuff...

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
They must ad some icons on left and refine the settings app (similar to "black n white" phone icon on left of each name , in call history)

Yeah , user must have an option to re-arrange the order of settings.

Sekyal

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
It is one of the oddest things with Settings that there is no rhyme or reason to how it is set-up. Well any company specific settings are at the end, like all the Nokia specific settings are at the end of the listing. As mentioned it isn't used that often, but coupled with the fact that you don't have very quick access (like in Android) to certain settings you might access more often like Wi-Fi, it is an area that needs attention.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo