Can i buy a Lumia phone in 2017?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

My plan is to replace my old samsung phone with a new phone.I like the windows phone platform and it satisfies all my basic needs(mail checking, using skype and whatsapp, managing office files)if i bought it. My question is can i buy a lumia phone (lumia 640 xl) now and i cant afford a surface phone as it costs higher to my budget.How long microsoft wiil support windows 8.1 and windows 10.Can it provide support minimum for five years. how long will whatsapp support in lumia phones?

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I just bought a Lumia 640XL a few days ago.

8.1 is very long in the tooth these days and has for the most part become unsupported as far as apps.
Windows 10 mobile is still supported and growing for now.

I can't say for sure if support for 5 years is going to happen.
All we can do is go with the flow for now.

Welcome and please consider joining Windows Central as a member for the best experience with discussions such as the future of WinMobile.

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi There! I'm wee bit off topic! I really like your invitation to join the forum. I may use that in the future!:wink:
"Welcome and please consider joining Windows Central as a member for the best experience with discussions such as the future of WinMobile".

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My plan is to replace my old samsung phone with a new phone.I like the windows phone platform and it satisfies all my basic needs(mail checking, using skype and whatsapp, managing office files)if i bought it. My question is can i buy a lumia phone (lumia 640 xl) now and i cant afford a surface phone as it costs higher to my budget.How long microsoft wiil support windows 8.1 and windows 10.Can it provide support minimum for five years. how long will whatsapp support in lumia phones?

1. The only phone I would expect to be supported for 5 years is the iPhone. And an iPhone SE or used iPhone 6 or 6s may be what you want.

2. 8.1 is slowly decaying but it'll do the basics, no Skype though.

3. Its unknown how long Whatsapp will be sticking around.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AshletHarris