Can I give Windows Central some money....

gtbuzz

May 27, 2011
Visit site
... in exchange for not serving ads? The content that you provide here really is top notch, but the ads have made the browsing experience beyond horrible. If I turn off a modified hosts file or ad blocker, IE, Edge and Chrome always idle at a MINIMUM of 30% CPU usage (sometimes 50% or more). Battery life is obviously reduced, but the fan is almost always on as a result and often any browser I use will flat out crash. This is on a Surface Book i7 with 16gb RAM. It shouldn't be taxing a $2700 computer to just display a web page.

The only option is to block ads and unfortunately deprive you of ad revenue. I'd really like some other way of supporting the site and be able to avoid this huge annoyance at the same time. It would be great if you had an IAP on the app that would be tied to your account and could turn off ads across all Mobile Nations sites. If that were available, I'd be one of the first in line to hand over money.

I'm just one in a very long line of people that have complained about ads on this site. Lets come up with a solution that works for everyone!

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Totally with you there, this is an option we've considered for some time, and are still weighing the options.

Thank you for the feedback, it's good to know good people like you are waiting and WANTING this type of service!

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I was this too. Even though I have an ad blocker on my work laptop, I don't on my Surface Pro 3 or my 950XL. The sight and intrusion of the adverts on my other devices makes me not want to visit the site.

I'd happily pay a subscription for a clean/slick/quick website.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Totally with you there, this is an option we've considered for some time, and are still weighing the options.

Thank you for the feedback, it's good to know good people like you are waiting and WANTING this type of service!

This site is the WORST site on the web for ads (maybe some p.o.r.n. sites are worse but not by much). I have a HIGH end gaming PC (X99A platform with 32gb of DDR4 OC memory) on one of the top 3 fastest SSDs. I just rebuilt my Windows 10 partition so I didn't have the host edit file on there.

Every page on this site froze up while it was downloading all the ads, After it finally downloaded all of them (about 40 seconds), clicking on a subject did the same exact thing and when it was done, still very laggy. This is in IE, or Edge. This site is almost unusable because of the ads.

I did the MVP host edit ( Blocking Unwanted Connections with a Hosts File ) and this site is FINALLY usable. I know you need to make money, no question but, this is crazy. I used to be a huge fan of this site, now I lean towards a News reader and find subjects on other sites because it's so bad.

I speak the truth and would be willing to pay a reasonable fee per year to use this site where ever I am and not have to deal with editing a host file to view this site.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos