Can i use legacy mode to install windows 10 on a GPT partitioned disk? so far it is working...

Miller97

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Lately I installed some third party programs that messed up my previous windows in a way that it blanked out everything on my computer, the only thing i could have seen was a pointer that only flickers on a black screen(that was when i knew that my computer was on and working but i just couldn't access anything, and no it wasn't any display issues), so i had to take my HDD out and installed it onto my desktop. i deleted my windows and deleted the system,recovery, UEFI partitions and only kept my files that was on the disk. I used disk part to delete the recovery and other system partitions due to it not deleting in disk management. I then created a new partition, send my files that was on the use to be C: drive, and formatted the drive with the corrupted windows. it deleted it and created another partition( the one that i intended to to install the newer windows on). I placed windows 10.iso on a usb stick( due to my laptop not having a CD/DVD drive), which I formatted as a GPT partition scheme using Rufus( i tried the Microsoft tool but it formatted the drive to a MBR disk, later on, it worked but i couldn't install windows on the partition i created due to it being GPT formatted, only if i deleted both partitions and created a new one using cmd but it would have deleted all my files on the other partition). I installed back my HDD, pressed the power button and then F10, from there I used the UEFI mode (since it was default), set the booting order and saved the changes. I plugged in my USB(in a 2.0 and 3.0), restarted the computer but didnt picked up my bootable drive, I changed the sys config settings to legacy mode(it gave me some warnings about saftey feature but at the time i wasnt really worrying about that, it was a trial and error thing for me), then all of a sudden it worked. I was able to delete/ create new partitions and install windows but I just wanted to know if it will give me any booting errors or any problems in the future, yes I know it will be a little slower using legacy mode instead of UEFI mode.

MoshMast

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I used a GPT boot disk in legacy mode to install the Technical Preview on my Toshiba Encore tablet and didn't have any issues. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try it anyways since you don't have any information on that drive anyways!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett